Notices

DIY: Painting the brake calipers (Non-Brembo)

Old 06-17-2010, 07:21 PM
shakalaka

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY: Painting the brake calipers (Non-Brembo)

Photobucket ran out of memory. Will re-make after clearing some space up.

Last edited by shakalaka; 07-19-2010 at 03:29 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:22 PM
BonesZ33

why bring attention to those fugly calipers
Old 06-17-2010, 07:27 PM
DB350

you paint the pads too?
Old 06-17-2010, 07:29 PM
shakalaka

Yeap I didn't want to bother with masking those out and all that as well. Plus I am getting new pads put in within a week anyway, so didn't really want to put any more effort than I had to. lol

I might even actually get a BBK put in soon enough, but I suck at DIY stuff and I just wanted to see if this was something I could do. Plus the fact I was REALLY bored. lol

Last edited by shakalaka; 06-17-2010 at 07:34 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:18 PM
(ZzzzzZ)

random question. How are you raising the jackstand with that pipe parallel to the ground? Are you just twisting it with your bare hands or using some tool? My car only came with the pipe, so I can't twist it like you are in the pic.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:32 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

DIR

Do it RICE
Old 06-17-2010, 09:37 PM
shakalaka

Originally Posted by (ZzzzzZ)
random question. How are you raising the jackstand with that pipe parallel to the ground? Are you just twisting it with your bare hands or using some tool? My car only came with the pipe, so I can't twist it like you are in the pic.

If you notice at the end of the pipe there should be a flathead screw driver sorta and just there should be a slit on it. That is where you stick the flat end of your tire iron and use that to turn it.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:48 PM
shakalaka

Originally Posted by Waizzz
DIR

Do it RICE
Old 06-17-2010, 10:04 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Originally Posted by shakalaka

No offense but after you spend some time on the forum you will see the same opinion given to you by others.

I would have just left them stock and saved for some Brembos instead but as long as you're happy that's all that matters.

Welcome to the forum. LOL!!
Old 06-17-2010, 10:41 PM
shakalaka

Originally Posted by Waizzz

No offense but after you spend some time on the forum you will see the same opinion given to you by others.

I would have just left them stock and saved for some Brembos instead but as long as you're happy that's all that matters.

Welcome to the forum. LOL!!

Haha trust me no offence taken at all.

I never get bothered by what other people think, I've just never been like that. I respect your opinion though, as much as I respect my liking. Eventually I will probably end up with a BBK, but this more of an experimental thing than anything, cause I really suck at DIY stuff and wanted to see if I could actually do it. And to be honest I don't mind the look at all, might stick some Brembo stickers I am good to go (lol joke).

But yea big believer in to each their own, so perhaps not something you would have done, still no hard feelings or anything.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:13 PM
fullrider

yes i can see the orange haha
Old 07-27-2010, 07:19 AM
2008convertible

Thumbs up Red Calipers

I painted my calipers red last Sunday.. It is lots of work but relatively easy to do and so worth it at the end... the results are fantastic... it just adds so much to the esthetics of the car.. I posted some photos in my profile.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:20 AM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

the only problem is real auto enthusiasts will see little red calipers and think it's ricey.

I'm going to paint mine black so they hide better.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:44 AM
2008convertible

I heard that they come gold with some models (upgrade). I don't quite see this looking good
Old 08-06-2010, 09:51 AM
lstierlen

I think painting the calipers makes them look better. Here is the deal, in my humble opinion. You have to decide what you are going to do with the car. If you are going to race the car, then 17" wheels give you better speed/handling due to more rubber and lighter. The really big brake kits only fit under 19" wheels, which aren't used for racing, which means, you are spending $3500 for looks. In reading about brakes, it appears the OEMs are more than enough for daily driving, and will work for some race outings without brake fade. Personally, I opted for OEM sized dimpled and slotted rotors, RedStuff brake pads, Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, and Painted Calipers. Once again, flaming someone for giving some thought to what they are actually going to do with the car, and doing something different than you choose to do makes the flamers just look ignorant. Just my humble opinion.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:10 PM
DB350

19" te37 time attacks arent used for racing?
Old 08-06-2010, 01:48 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Originally Posted by lstierlen
I think painting the calipers makes them look better. Here is the deal, in my humble opinion. You have to decide what you are going to do with the car. If you are going to race the car, then 17" wheels give you better speed/handling due to more rubber and lighter. The really big brake kits only fit under 19" wheels, which aren't used for racing, which means, you are spending $3500 for looks. In reading about brakes, it appears the OEMs are more than enough for daily driving, and will work for some race outings without brake fade. Personally, I opted for OEM sized dimpled and slotted rotors, RedStuff brake pads, Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, and Painted Calipers. Once again, flaming someone for giving some thought to what they are actually going to do with the car, and doing something different than you choose to do makes the flamers just look ignorant. Just my humble opinion.
General consensus is that painting OEM calipers is rice if you don't have Brembos or Akebonos. You can make a thread and post a poll and you will see that this is true.

I still call this DIR (Do It Rice)
Old 08-09-2010, 10:20 PM
bkaa

STi's and Evo's both have stock brembo brakes, our Z's SHOULD of had brembos stock on all trims. in MY humble opinion, painting our non-brembo brakes is kinda like saying "HEY LOOK AT MY RED PAINTED SINGLE PISTON BRAKES" i think we shouldnt do anything to attract attention to non-brembos single piston brakes. but thats just my humble opinion
Old 03-04-2011, 01:40 PM
blurazr

Thumbs up

Painted my OEM calipers flat black cause the silver drew a lot of attention from my rims

Old 03-04-2011, 02:18 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

^Nice!

Wheels look good lets see some more pixxors.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY: Painting the brake calipers (Non-Brembo)