Notices

Manually Registering TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 05:02 PM
gt3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by goracerx
Could you please tell me how you got the lower plastic peice off and did you remove the metal plate that is under it as well?

I was thinking I would have to remove the seat to be able to lay there long enough to find the connector as the egde of the seat was digging in to my back.

This is the post that I used to help me remove the dash. Good luck!

LINK
Old 03-19-2012, 05:02 PM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Hey. So Itried this on my 08, I grounded it with the car on, the light started blinking but no beep. I drove for about 20 minutes, with the light turning back on from blinking to steady about a minute after I grounded the wire. No beep at all and the light never went off. Am I doing something wrong?
Old 03-20-2012, 05:15 PM
SQuaLZ

Bump for help pleaseee
Old 03-20-2012, 05:33 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

When you say "car on" do you mean ignition turned on or started? Contrary to what some of the instructions say, it won't work unless you start the car first then do the grounding steps to get it going.

It only takes a few minutes of driving once you get above 20 mph and the sensors start transmitting. If you don't get it within 5 minutes, turn car off, restart and retry the process.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:22 PM
SQuaLZ

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
When you say "car on" do you mean ignition turned on or started? Contrary to what some of the instructions say, it won't work unless you start the car first then do the grounding steps to get it going.

It only takes a few minutes of driving once you get above 20 mph and the sensors start transmitting. If you don't get it within 5 minutes, turn car off, restart and retry the process.
Yes car on. I actually kept trying and at one point the light went off instantly but 20 minutes later it came back on, i put air in to 35 each, drove and it stayed on. Very frustrating!
Old 03-21-2012, 05:53 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

You have to put different pressures in each tire for this to work. See details here... https://my350z.com/forum/9196012-post25.html
Old 03-22-2012, 03:54 PM
SQuaLZ

You have to put different pressures in each tire for this to work. See details here... https://my350z.com/forum/9196012-post25.html
Thanks for your help. I actually figured out what I was doing wrong. Maybe I misunderstood but the wire needs to be grounded the entire time while driving so it relearns. I thought it was to be grounded until the light starts flashing and then unground it.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:21 AM
Rob_Z

This worked for me! i had "--" on all 4 tires and my dash light was on. so i started the car grounded out the plug like described light started to flash and drove. now i get 3 readings and 1 "--" i scanned the left front sensor and its dead so it needs to be replaced. but atleast i know what the problem is now and it wasnt all 4! thanks for this post.

Edit: definitely should be stickied for other people who have this problem

Last edited by Rob_Z; 04-01-2012 at 05:23 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:02 AM
dro350

I have an 05 base. I checked under the passenger dash and the wiring is a bit different. I checked the service manual to locate the Tire Pressure Warning Check Connector but there are no wiring diagrams. Couldn't find the green wire that's isolated on its own connector but there's an 8-pin connector (not sure of the correct term) with a green wire along with a few other wires. My question is, for the 350z, or for Nissan cars for that matter, are all green wires the Tire Pressure Connector?

EDIT: Couldn't find it under the dash as the green wire was for the A/C. Tried taking off the dash panel and found it inside the dash per 06 models. Followed the OBDIII steps, got a flashing warning light but no beep. Drove around for about 5-10 minutes with long stretches of 40-50 mph (still no beeps) then the TPMS light went away. Drove a little more and TPMS light came on with one long beep as one of my tires were at 27 PSI. Put air in the tires, all to 35 psi, and the light went away. Everything worked! Thanks OP.

Last edited by dro350; 04-19-2012 at 07:20 AM.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:02 AM
Jimster88

I'm posting because I feel my situation is somehow unique. I have a 2007 Enthusiast and I've had aftermarket wheels for a couple years now and I had my sensors moved to them, so my stock wheels got plain old valve stems put into them for winter use. Every year when I'd take my aftermarkets off and the stockers back on, my tpms light wouldn't take driving more than 10 seconds before it would come on. Then when spring came around and the aftermarkets went on, same thing except 10 seconds into driving, the light would go OFF (as it should).

While stock wheels are on... the lights (what I called normal) behavior was to flash for ~30 seconds and then go solid.

This year however, when i put my aftermarkets on, the light remained ON. I should note that last year at the beginning of the season, my tpms bracket broke, and I took the wheel to a shop to take out the sensor so it wasn't rattling around in there. Now, I got new brackets and put the sensor back in the wheel yesterday - light still on.

So, I tried this procedure. I didn't have any luck with a paperclip making contact with the tab inside the plug, so I'm just using bare wire and feeding it in. Ground the wire, start the car, tap ground 5-6 times, voila! Light goes from solid to flashing. Drive around for about 20 minutes, light goes from flashing back to solid. Pressure them back up to the recommended 35, drive some more, light still on. Only difference now is when I start the car, the light is solid right away instead of flashing for ~30 seconds. Then I read on some post (and contrary to how the instructions read) you have to LEAVE it grounded for the driving portion? Tried this too, same results.

In summary:
Successfully enter what I would assume is learning mode, have tire pressures all set differently (26, 28, 31, 34), drive around (tried with it grounded whole time and without), light never goes off temporarily before coming back on. Just flashes for 20 minutes and goes directly back to solid. Am I still doing something wrong or do you think the sensor that had been jingling around for a few days got busted? Also, I never hear any beeps of any kind during any portion of this process.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I hate the ghetto-ness of the tpms light on all the time.

Last edited by Jimster88; 04-21-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:56 AM
ChinaClipper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimster88
I'm posting because I feel my situation is somehow unique. I have a 2007 Enthusiast and I've had aftermarket wheels for a couple years now and I had my sensors moved to them, so my stock wheels got plain old valve stems put into them for winter use. Every year when I'd take my aftermarkets off and the stockers back on, my tpms light wouldn't take driving more than 10 seconds before it would come on. Then when spring came around and the aftermarkets went on, same thing except 10 seconds into driving, the light would go OFF (as it should).

While stock wheels are on... the lights (what I called normal) behavior was to flash for ~30 seconds and then go solid.

This year however, when i put my aftermarkets on, the light remained ON. I should note that last year at the beginning of the season, my tpms bracket broke, and I took the wheel to a shop to take out the sensor so it wasn't rattling around in there. Now, I got new brackets and put the sensor back in the wheel yesterday - light still on.

So, I tried this procedure. I didn't have any luck with a paperclip making contact with the tab inside the plug, so I'm just using bare wire and feeding it in. Ground the wire, start the car, tap ground 5-6 times, voila! Light goes from solid to flashing. Drive around for about 20 minutes, light goes from flashing back to solid. Pressure them back up to the recommended 35, drive some more, light still on. Only difference now is when I start the car, the light is solid right away instead of flashing for ~30 seconds. Then I read on some post (and contrary to how the instructions read) you have to LEAVE it grounded for the driving portion? Tried this too, same results.

In summary:
Successfully enter what I would assume is learning mode, have tire pressures all set differently (26, 28, 31, 34), drive around (tried with it grounded whole time and without), light never goes off temporarily before coming back on. Just flashes for 20 minutes and goes directly back to solid. Am I still doing something wrong or do you think the sensor that had been jingling around for a few days got busted? Also, I never hear any beeps of any kind during any portion of this process.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I hate the ghetto-ness of the tpms light on all the time.
This strongly sounds like the rattling sensor sustained damage and is busted. Alternatively, the TPMS sensors (or at least one of them), may be nonfunctional due to expired battery life.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:03 AM
Jimster88

Figures

I'm not going to bother trying to fix that until I need new tires. Thank you for the reply!
Old 04-27-2012, 12:54 PM
ReelBigAndy

Originally Posted by Darth Zader

f. Now unhook the wire from the paper clip and touch it to the paper clip over and over until the tire warning light starts flashing on the dash.
How many times is "over and over"? I did this about 50 times the light never started blinking. I am 99% sure I have the right connector, looks exactly like the picture.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:05 AM
evlap

Default TPMS reset connector in 2006 350z

Just finished the reset procedure on my wife's 06 car and thought I'll post a couple of pictures for people who are still not sure about the location of the connector.

No need to open passenger panel. The connector can be seen behind several strands of cables towards the center of the passenger panel. It's taped to the bigger strand with a blue tape. Just reach there with scissors, cut the blue tape and carefully pull the connector's cable towards you.

In our case the light went off after about 5 minutes of driving.

Attached Thumbnails Manually Registering TPMS-tpms1.jpg   Manually Registering TPMS-tpms2.jpg  
Old 05-10-2012, 10:19 AM
TripleD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

First off thanks to the OP, this is a great DIY that can save you $100 or more. I followed the original instructions which were a little unclear to me, and was unsuccessful. So for me here is what it did it.

As far as an 03 goes...

1. Locate the white connector. It is located here. I took this photo because some of the others are taken so close that you get no feel for where the connector is located. So in the below photo I used the blue tape holding the connector to act as a visual aid, to show precisely where the connector is. It is not real far up under the dash, it is about 3 inches up from the edge of the bottom of the black plastic trim piece, once you remove the tape it will come down maybe an inch or two. You can see the paper clip sticking out of the connector to give you a feel for where the connector is.

Here is another photo taken with the camera against the floor board pointed up towards the connector. Once again you can see the blue tape from the 1st picture as a reference point.

2. Stick a paper clip in the connector, it doesn't matter which side, just make sure it is in the same side as the green wire, putting in the back may hold it better as the wire and paper clip in the same hole together will be a tighter fit, and we all like a tight fit , thus it won't fall out as easily when you're driving around later.
3. Next get a wire or I used a wire with alligator clips on each end which worked nicely. Clip one end to the paper clip, which is securely shoved in the white connector.
4. Set your tire pressures to the following...
Front – Left 34psi, alternate 37psi
Front – Right 31psi, alternate 34psi
Rear – Right 28psi, alternate 31psi
Rear – Left 26psi, alternate 29psi

I have seen different numbers on this, I think the important thing is that they are in this order of greatest PSI to least PSI to the corresponding wheels.
5. Start the engine.
6. Go back to passenger side and start touching the unclipped side of your wire , the side opposite the paper clip, to the goldish color bracket attached to the firewall. I also touched it to the ends of the screw sticking out of firewall. All you are doing here is grounding that green wire. Tap it 5-10 times and then check to see if TPS light is blinking. If its not try scratching the bracket with the wire or clip as to get through any coating that might be on the metal. It only took me two tries to get this. Once the TPS light is blinking...
7. Get in the car and drive. You will here some high pitched beeps, from time to time. I don't what speed you need but its recommended to try to stay above 30mph but I stopped at lights and what not and it did not affect anything.
8. If it is successful your TPS light will go out and you should have pressure readings. (if you set the Left Rear tire to 26 psi, your TPMS light will come back on indicating low pressure. Simply fill your tires back up and it will go out.) If not all I can tell you is repeat the process, make sure none of your tire pressures are close to the same. At least off by 2 psi. One of my failed attempts was because the rears were set at like 26 and one was like 26.5, I misread the gauge.
9. Enjoy no stupid TPMS light and the luxury of seeing your tire pressures.

Last edited by TripleD; 04-09-2013 at 06:34 AM.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:00 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Your problem might have been because the pressures were too low. The FSM for the Z lists the settings as...

Front – Left 37psi
Front – Right 34psi
Rear – Right 31psi
Rear – Left 28psi

Anything below 28 normally triggers the low pressure warning.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:44 PM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

In the first post of their thread, the tire with the most pressure was stated as Front - Right, but the FSM calls out Front - Left having the most pressure. So just to clarify, the tire with the most pressure is Driver Side - Front, and the tire with the least pressure is Driver Side - Rear?

Your problem might have been because the pressures were too low. The FSM for the Z lists the settings as...

Front – Left 37psi
Front – Right 34psi
Rear – Right 31psi
Rear – Left 28psi

Anything below 28 normally triggers the low pressure warning.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:30 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

I don't know where the pressures in the first post came from, the ones I listed come right from the FSM and they worked for my Z.
Attached Thumbnails Manually Registering TPMS-snap.jpg  
Old 05-16-2012, 03:41 PM
xman2yman

Do this with extreme caution just did this and my entire dashboard in no longer working, nothing in the entire dash is giving me reading!
Old 05-16-2012, 04:42 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Sounds like you grounded the wrong connector and shorted some other circuit and blew a fuse.

Quick Reply: Manually Registering TPMS