Notices

Manually Registering TPMS

Old 03-13-2016, 05:41 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

And got my tpms working again... Great success.

One of mine is hit or miss so I got lucky... Probably won't e messing with the system again anytime soon.
Old 05-15-2016, 03:30 PM
SPM350Z

Received 163 Likes on 97 Posts

Hey guys....looking for any suggestions. I bought my new wheels and tires from Tirerack and had them put in new TPMS sensors as well. My Z is an 05 Base and the TPMS sensors in the old tires were still working before I swapped on the new tires. Because of this thread I was able to find the connector fairly easily and got a paperclip stuck in and alligator clipped to a grounding wire. I start the car and ground the wire 6 times to get into programming mode with the TPMS light blinking with no problem. I've tried both sets of air pressures recommended in this thread both with the wire grounded and not grounded and can't get them to register. Actually ONCE i was able to get the rears to register(and that time the wire was left ungrounded) but fronts never have showed up. I thought maybe my digital tire pressure gauge might be a little off so I've even tried both sets of recommend pressures with one pound up and down on each tire and still didn't work. Basically I drive for 20 mins each time(typically on the highway at 55MPH) and then the light stops blinking and goes out of learning mode and still no readings. I'm starting to think the TPMS sensors they sold me don't work but I did get that one reading once with the rears so it gives me hope that maybe I'm just not doing something right. Any ideas?
Old 05-15-2016, 05:25 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

That sucks the sensors might not be compatible with the system. Unless they are actually Nissan factory sensors... they could also be defective... I would try airing up all the tires tp 35 go for a little highway ride and try to wake up the sensors. (Shouldn't need that but yours are being stubborn) then I would set the wacky pressure and put it onto learning mode and cross my fingers and hope for the best.
Old 05-15-2016, 08:01 PM
SPM350Z

Received 163 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
That sucks the sensors might not be compatible with the system. Unless they are actually Nissan factory sensors... they could also be defective... I would try airing up all the tires tp 35 go for a little highway ride and try to wake up the sensors. (Shouldn't need that but yours are being stubborn) then I would set the wacky pressure and put it onto learning mode and cross my fingers and hope for the best.
Hmmm..had not even thought of that. I've been doing this in the morning when tires were cold and I haven't driven the car yet....I will try this and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestion Dboyz.
Old 09-21-2016, 05:18 PM
Surfer90291

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Wanted to report that I was finally able to re-register the TPMS using the guide on this thread on page 4.
It started with a dead sensor on my 08 350z so I picked a used oem from ebay (#40700-1AA0B).
I decided to remove the passenger dash as it takes 3 minutes rather than squeezing under to try and find the TPMS connector!

Using a cheap digital gauge I set the pressures as:
Front – Left 37psi
Front – Right 34psi
Rear – Right 31psi
Rear – Left 28psi

The TPMS light would keep flashing while I drove at 35+mph for 15 mins so I decided to hit the freeway. After driving a couple of miles at 65mph the car recognized all the sensors and the warning light went off! On my way back I stopped at a gas station and set the correct pressure on all tires.
I'm very happy it worked but it took me a few tries, driving on the freeway at 65mph did it for me.

P.S. I also swapped the center triple gauge with one from 03-06 and now I can read the tire pressure from the driver seat again. It's a plug n play swap!

Last edited by Surfer90291; 09-21-2016 at 05:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ttknf (11-05-2016)
Old 11-05-2016, 09:56 PM
ttknf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Surfer90291
Wanted to report that I was finally able to re-register the TPMS using the guide on this thread on page 4.
It started with a dead sensor on my 08 350z so I picked a used oem from ebay (#40700-1AA0B).
I decided to remove the passenger dash as it takes 3 minutes rather than squeezing under to try and find the TPMS connector!

Using a cheap digital gauge I set the pressures as:
Front – Left 37psi
Front – Right 34psi
Rear – Right 31psi
Rear – Left 28psi

The TPMS light would keep flashing while I drove at 35+mph for 15 mins so I decided to hit the freeway. After driving a couple of miles at 65mph the car recognized all the sensors and the warning light went off! On my way back I stopped at a gas station and set the correct pressure on all tires.
I'm very happy it worked but it took me a few tries, driving on the freeway at 65mph did it for me.

P.S. I also swapped the center triple gauge with one from 03-06 and now I can read the tire pressure from the driver seat again. It's a plug n play swap!
For the gauge set from the older cars, do know the part number of meter set you bought, or do you know what trim level of Z it came out of?

I also have an '08 and if it really adds the pressure readout like the older cars, I'm going to swap like you did.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:28 PM
delmer350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting TPMS experience

I had an air leak on the pass rear tire on my 2003 performance so I took it to Costco and they checked it out. They showed me the TPMS had a crack in it and that was what was leaking. So they put in a new one but the pressure did not register. They told me to drive it for a while and it should come on. So after going back a couple of times, the guy told me their handheld computer didn't show the 2003 z as having TPMS's. So they couldn't program it. So I did the stuff I learned from this thread but still did not get that new sensor to register. So I went to Discount tire and the guy behind the counter was really nice and said he would grab their device and try to reset it. Didn't work the 1st time but then I told him I could put it into reset mode (blinking light) and then he could try to do a reset. It worked immediately. registered the pressure right away without having to drive it at all. Fortunately, when I originally did this at home I left the paper clip and grounding wire on so it would be accessible if I needed to put it into learn mode. Paper clip was left in the connector, just wrapped it with electrical tape so it couldn't short out. This thread was great!
Old 03-11-2017, 09:54 AM
Surfer90291

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ttknf
For the gauge set from the older cars, do know the part number of meter set you bought, or do you know what trim level of Z it came out of?

I also have an '08 and if it really adds the pressure readout like the older cars, I'm going to swap like you did.
Sorry for the super late answer, I'm not sure which trim/year it came from, I'm pretty sure they're all compatible and yes it's plug n play.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:32 AM
thekozos

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2006 and lost two sensors recently. I replaced one the other day with a VDO Redi Sensor SE10001HP when i had a patch put on my fairly new tire due to a lag screw. I still have one bad sensor. I performed the TPMS reset procedure outlined in their thread because i did not want to purchase another sensor unless i knew this one works on my 2006. I did not leave the white harness connected to ground while driving. It did not read any one my sensors. Do all of the sensors need to be working before the reset is performed? does it matter if I leave the reset harness grounded the whole time while driving?

Thanks!
Old 07-24-2019, 07:05 PM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm also having an issue with sensors purchased with wheels/tires from TireRack. Will try the lower set of suggested pressures and leaving the wire grounded methods next... Sucks that it take 15+ minutes of driving for the flashing light to go solid after the re-learn procedure is initiated.
Old 12-30-2019, 12:21 PM
McLarenF1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone know where I can buy that OTC 3831 tool? Or is anyone willing to sell theirs? lol
Old 12-30-2019, 08:56 PM
rustyschopshop

Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

have you tried google, several places come up.
Old 12-31-2019, 04:53 AM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I found out from TireRack that the sensors they installed in my new wheels needed to be 'woken up' first. This is done by filling the tires to the max pressure, then letting air out for 15 seconds (I was able to let air out for longer to get them back to normal 35psi). This wakes them up and they can then be recognized.. I ended up driving to the dealer and this and had them scan and program the new sensors in. $20.

Old 12-31-2019, 07:37 PM
rustyschopshop

Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

seach that tool number, several come up including on amazon for cheap. Although some people say that one doesn't work on Z's.