Notices

DIY: Replace Front Camber Arms without removing shocks

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 07:30 AM
Diesel350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DIY: Replace Front Camber Arms without removing shocks

I got to replacing my Front Camber arms without having to take out or loosen the shocks which involves having to remove your strut bar to gain access to the bolts on top of the shocks. You just need to have the right tools and keep in mind you will be working in a very tight space.

First start off with the obvious things, loosen nuts on wheels, jack up car, remove wheel.

Once that is done I went ahead and remove the nut on the spindle that holds the front axle and upper control arm together. In this case I am working on removing the Kinetix Arms.

Next you remove the bolts on each arm. You can use a hand wrench to get up in there but most likely you won't be able to get it off since the bolts are in there extremely tight. What you will need is a small enough wrench. To get a wrench in there you will need to buy one that is small but has a long enough handle to be able to get the bolt off. I bought a craftsman wrench with a thin head to be able to get it in between the shock and the arm. I also bought a short 14MM socket. Make sure you buy the short one because the longer 14mm socket will not fit in there with a wrench.

Perfect fit:

Once you get the bolt loose enough you can turn it with your fingers and pull it out. As you can see the right side I can pull the bolt off past the springs no problems.

As you can see on the left side when I tried to pull the bolt out the spring was in the way. What you have to do here is grab the front axle and move it around a little bit while moving around the bolt and that should be able to give you room to pull it out.

Once you pull out that second bolt you will easily be able to pull out the camber arm no issues. It's that easy, just gotta have the right tools. Better than paying $200 for the shop to get them done.

Last edited by Diesel350; 05-06-2012 at 09:10 AM.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:12 AM
hyuk28719

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice write-up! cool DIY bro.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:23 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

FYI: THIS IS NOT POSSIBLE WITH FACTORY SPRINGS.

you had clearance on the factory green bolts becuase you have aftermarket springs and the wind of the spring isnt so tight, but the factory springs dont allow for this.

I have seem some yank and wiggle it out, but beware on stripping the threads on the bolt.

-J
Old 06-07-2012, 02:49 PM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome, thanks for this Diesel.