Notices

Compression Rod Bushing DIY Addendum

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 04:10 AM
ninevoltz

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Compression Rod Bushing DIY Addendum

Just replaced my compression rod bushings this weekend, and I have some tips to add to the fine thread started here.

First, the replacement bushing:
http://www.armstrongdistributors.com...s/ADUS_560.jpg

You can get them for about $50 a piece on eBay.

These appear to be better than the SPL for street use.

I had the same problem others have experienced with the inner sleeve of the bushing rusting tight onto the body stud. Here's how I got it off. First, I soaked it with PB Blaster (don't know if that really helped). Then I took a jig saw with a metal cutting blade and shaved off the remaining rubber, down to the bare metal. Then I took an air chisel and started cutting into it from the top, because the body stud is tapered at the bottom, only the top third of the length makes contact with the bushing sleeve. After about two hours of air chisel action the rust finally let loose and I could wiggle it off with a pipe wrench.

If you can't get the arm off because it is fused on with rust, you can pull it off with a large set of gear pullers. Just spin the nut part way back onto the stud to create a pocket for the gear puller to rest in. The gear puller will rip the rubber right out of the bushing.

As for pushing out the old bushings, if you don't have a press, you can cut out the outer sleeves with a jig saw and metal cutting blade. Just be careful not to cut into the aluminum on the other side. Then you can knock the sleeves out with a hammer and chisel. If the rubber is still intact, take a large drill bit and drill it out first, then saw out the sleeves.

I treated all of the nuts and bolts and the body studs with rust inhibitor and covered them with anti-seize.

I used a wide-mouth bench vise to insert the new bushing, it's a breeze if you use the special grease included with the bushings. It's weird grease, extremely sticky stuff. I had to wash my hands about four times to get it all off

Best part, NO MORE CLUNKING!!

Last edited by ninevoltz; 05-20-2013 at 04:23 AM. Reason: added link