Notices

New DIY Concept: AOAT

Old 12-12-2022, 09:20 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts
Default New DIY Concept: AOAT

For those familiar with healthcare acronyms, there's a basic measure of human functioning called Activities of Daily Living (ADL) function. This includes the ability to transfer, bathe and dress yourself and do the basic tasks to maintain independence in everyday living. Usually, the loss of the ability to complete three or more ADLs is deemed a significant loss.

Today, with a winter snow storm closing in on my Colorado home, I cleaned and checked my 350Z, G37xS sedan and Versa hatchback. Checking with the local tireshop revealed the 2022 price for simply changing over to winter tires was $40. This is for simply jacking up the car and putting on an already mounted and balanced set of snow tires I keep stored on the tire rack with assorted race tires! OK- not doing THAT! So I used a well-rehearsed procedure to do this easy DIY:

1. Swap cars around in garage and get tools, tires and jack positioned and ready for the task.
2. Get the 3-ton jack properly positioned, parking brake set and up safely.
3. Use the pneumatic wrench to remove and replace summer wheels/tires for the winter ones. Do a quick inspection of brake pads, lines and components while you're in there. Opps! It's been awhile since I swapped out brake fluid, so grab the pneumatic brake bleeder and get busy. Fresh DOT4 fluid put into the brake master as I also check everything else.
4. After dropping the Versa (yeah, that car is the perfect winter beater), get the torque wrench out and set it to 85 ft/lbs. Torque all the lugs and replace one that's getting worn out on the RR.
5. Check tire pressure and inflate to 35# with temperature adjustments for the coming winter.
6. Get the cars swapped back and put a little Rain-X on the Versa windshield and side/rear windows to make it easier to get the crusted frost and ice off in the morning after the coming storm.
7. Do a quick test drive to make sure this simple task doesn't result in any pulling or other apparent problems. Clean up and put away all the tools and tires.

None of this difficult, but as I just celebrated my 68th BD a few months ago, I was TIRED after completing all these tasks. This had me thinking, I need a new concept to describe what racers and enthusiasts do as they age. Let's call it the Activities of Optimal Automotive Tasks (AOAT) and while I passed these tests today, it's getting tougher- particularly when I think of how EASY this used to be. Anybody else with me?
Old 12-12-2022, 03:55 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by dkmura
For those familiar with healthcare acronyms, there's a basic measure of human functioning called Activities of Daily Living (ADL) function. This includes the ability to transfer, bathe and dress yourself and do the basic tasks to maintain independence in everyday living. Usually, the loss of the ability to complete three or more ADLs is deemed a significant loss.

Today, with a winter snow storm closing in on my Colorado home, I cleaned and checked my 350Z, G37xS sedan and Versa hatchback. Checking with the local tireshop revealed the 2022 price for simply changing over to winter tires was $40. This is for simply jacking up the car and putting on an already mounted and balanced set of snow tires I keep stored on the tire rack with assorted race tires! OK- not doing THAT! So I used a well-rehearsed procedure to do this easy DIY:

1. Swap cars around in garage and get tools, tires and jack positioned and ready for the task.
2. Get the 3-ton jack properly positioned, parking brake set and up safely.
3. Use the pneumatic wrench to remove and replace summer wheels/tires for the winter ones. Do a quick inspection of brake pads, lines and components while you're in there. Opps! It's been awhile since I swapped out brake fluid, so grab the pneumatic brake bleeder and get busy. Fresh DOT4 fluid put into the brake master as I also check everything else.
4. After dropping the Versa (yeah, that car is the perfect winter beater), get the torque wrench out and set it to 85 ft/lbs. Torque all the lugs and replace one that's getting worn out on the RR.
5. Check tire pressure and inflate to 35# with temperature adjustments for the coming winter.
6. Get the cars swapped back and put a little Rain-X on the Versa windshield and side/rear windows to make it easier to get the crusted frost and ice off in the morning after the coming storm.
7. Do a quick test drive to make sure this simple task doesn't result in any pulling or other apparent problems. Clean up and put away all the tools and tires.

None of this difficult, but as I just celebrated my 68th BD a few months ago, I was TIRED after completing all these tasks. This had me thinking, I need a new concept to describe what racers and enthusiasts do as they age. Let's call it the Activities of Optimal Automotive Tasks (AOAT) and while I passed these tests today, it's getting tougher- particularly when I think of how EASY this used to be. Anybody else with me?

Heel would call this “get off Mic’s incredulous chores”. GOMIC for your acronymic pleasure.
The following users liked this post:
Heel Til I Die (12-13-2022)
Old 12-12-2022, 05:14 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Hah- GOMIC might indicate some significant cognitive dissonance by the subject!
Old 12-13-2022, 05:40 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,055 Likes on 745 Posts

Happy late birthday! I hope I'm still doing things on my own once I reach you old timers' ripe old age

In order to help with my AOAT, I installed a two-post lift in my new garage project. At least that will eliminate the need for the floor jack and jack stands in the future for such AOATs like rotating tires, changing the pads/rotors, brake fluid changes, and the regular oil changes.

One particular AOAT that has me beat at the end of the day is what I call the "Stage 5" cleaning which consists of vacuuming and shampooing the interior upholstery, cleaning and conditioning the leather, detailing the interior dash and trim pieces, removing the wheels to wash and wax the inner barrels in addition to the faces, pressure wash the undercarriage, wash, polish, wax/ceramic coat the paint, polish/protect the headlights, and condition the rubber exterior trim pieces. I usually only give a vehicle "the works" about once a year. By comparison, the "Stage 1" cleaning is simply a quick vacuum and wash/wax.

Similar to a tire change, it's not terribly difficult, but my arms are jello at the end of the day.

The finished product usually justifies the physical discomfort, though.
Old 12-13-2022, 04:14 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

While not an AOAT, I did do something that was a little challenging for the aged.

Strung my Christmas lights.

What made this challenging was not the climbing the ladder and stringing them. Nor was it the untangling and running power to the bush lights.

No, it was after stringing the lights on the eaves all the way around the corner that I realized I have an 18" segment of dead lights!!! (Visible above my Z's rear hatch.)

So, to give credence to the theory of AOAT-CLversion, I just said "screw it, I'll re-string the f**kers tomorrow, I'm hungry."

EDIT: Looking at pic and now that it's dark, I went out and rearranged some of the lights that were crooked. Ahhh... But still not re-doing the house lights, nuh uhhh... too old for this sh*t. Haha!

Last edited by MicVelo; 12-13-2022 at 04:25 PM.
Old 12-14-2022, 06:00 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by MicVelo
While not an AOAT, I did do something that was a little challenging for the aged.

Strung my Christmas lights.

What made this challenging was not the climbing the ladder and stringing them. Nor was it the untangling and running power to the bush lights.

No, it was after stringing the lights on the eaves all the way around the corner that I realized I have an 18" segment of dead lights!!! (Visible above my Z's rear hatch.)

So, to give credence to the theory of AOAT-CLversion, I just said "screw it, I'll re-string the f**kers tomorrow, I'm hungry."

EDIT: Looking at pic and now that it's dark, I went out and rearranged some of the lights that were crooked. Ahhh... But still not re-doing the house lights, nuh uhhh... too old for this sh*t. Haha!
LOL- Mic, your posts just make me laugh! I started this thread as a humorous look the automotive tasks that we all take on from season-to-season. But Mic has to take it to seasonal tasks that are a pain in the A$$ to get done. Shall we call it Non-automotive ADLs for the Christmas Challenged?

But as Mic says, there's a common theme to follow: "Screw it, I'll do the $%^&*s tomorrow, I'm hungry." Funny, that's almost the exact sentiment I think when I look across my garage at rebuilding the $%^&* blown race motor.
Old 12-14-2022, 06:15 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Heel Til I Die
Happy late birthday! I hope I'm still doing things on my own once I reach you old timers' ripe old age

In order to help with my AOAT, I installed a two-post lift in my new garage project. At least that will eliminate the need for the floor jack and jack stands in the future for such AOATs like rotating tires, changing the pads/rotors, brake fluid changes, and the regular oil changes.

One particular AOAT that has me beat at the end of the day is what I call the "Stage 5" cleaning which consists of vacuuming and shampooing the interior upholstery, cleaning and conditioning the leather, detailing the interior dash and trim pieces, removing the wheels to wash and wax the inner barrels in addition to the faces, pressure wash the undercarriage, wash, polish, wax/ceramic coat the paint, polish/protect the headlights, and condition the rubber exterior trim pieces. I usually only give a vehicle "the works" about once a year. By comparison, the "Stage 1" cleaning is simply a quick vacuum and wash/wax.

Similar to a tire change, it's not terribly difficult, but my arms are jello at the end of the day.

The finished product usually justifies the physical discomfort, though.
Thanks for the birthday wishes, Heel, but it's getting to the point of extreme denial at times (usually when I schedule my next race physical). Your post reminds me of how handy a two-post lift could be! Your stage 5 detailing sounds like an extreme AOAT; I think of the "quick vacuum and wash/wax" stage I cleaning as more of an essential AOAT. It's not unlike a simple oil/filter change- when we can't accomplish THAT, we'll know we're in trouble!

Speaking of which- I injured my right (dominant) arm last week and it was swollen and sore. Couldn't move it very well, and had to rely on my left arm to do most of the work. Found I had problems even showering, toweling off and getting dressed properly. Man, was I glad when I started healing up and got back to doing the small tasks like what started off this thread!
Old 12-14-2022, 07:26 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by dkmura
Thanks for the birthday wishes, Heel, but it's getting to the point of extreme denial at times (usually when I schedule my next race physical). Your post reminds me of how handy a two-post lift could be! Your stage 5 detailing sounds like an extreme AOAT; I think of the "quick vacuum and wash/wax" stage I cleaning as more of an essential AOAT. It's not unlike a simple oil/filter change- when we can't accomplish THAT, we'll know we're in trouble!

Speaking of which- I injured my right (dominant) arm last week and it was swollen and sore. Couldn't move it very well, and had to rely on my left arm to do most of the work. Found I had problems even showering, toweling off and getting dressed properly. Man, was I glad when I started healing up and got back to doing the small tasks like what started off this thread!
Heal up, David!!

Oh, and you'll notice I referred to my Christmas lights ordeal as "AOAT-CLversion" where CL = Christmas lights. And I put my car in there for AOAT relevance in order to not take the thread TOO far off topic. Haha!

Speaking of "healing".... This seems more like a thread for us old guys. Yet, there's Heel chiming right on in there. But I get it. Wannabe (and eventually Willbe.)

OK, time to run now.

Last edited by MicVelo; 12-14-2022 at 07:29 AM.
Old 12-14-2022, 08:46 AM
Heel Til I Die

Speaking of "healing".... This seems more like a thread for us old guys. Yet, there's Heel chiming right on in there. But I get it. Wannabe (and eventually Willbe.)
I do love you "old guys." I'll admit I was born in the 80s, but I'm an old soul. I call myself a "bad millennial" because I don't fit all the norms that go with it. I'm pretty sure there's some rant in the "declining expectations thread" that I made about the subject. A lot of my friends and people I prefer to hang out with are older than me. I think I just have more in common with them. Your "old guys" posts give me promise that my love for cars won't fade away as I get older as it is still something you're obviously very passionate about.

I'll certainly continue to point out Mic's age whenever I can
Old 12-15-2022, 03:34 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

AOAT - Domestic chores (no car content, sorry)

Proof that your friend (me) is an aging doof.

Bought new microwave three months ago.

Few days ago, I noticed the plastic key pad was peeling off and I was really upset because it was so new.

A day later, went to use it to warm up my coffee. Wait, what? It was fine, key pad smooth, clean as a whistle, no peeling.

Methinks "Was I on magic mushrooms or something?" and "What the hell kinda OCD nightmare was that?!"

Mention it to wife.

Her: "I couldn't stand it any more so I finally peeled off the plastic covering they used for shipping."

"Oh."

Old 12-16-2022, 05:00 AM
Heel Til I Die

AOAT - Domestic chores (no car content, sorry)

Proof that your friend (me) is an aging doof.

Bought new microwave three months ago.

Few days ago, I noticed the plastic key pad was peeling off and I was really upset because it was so new.

A day later, went to use it to warm up my coffee. Wait, what? It was fine, key pad smooth, clean as a whistle, no peeling.

Methinks "Was I on magic mushrooms or something?" and "What the hell kinda OCD nightmare was that?!"

Mention it to wife.

Her: "I couldn't stand it any more so I finally peeled off the plastic covering they used for shipping."

"Oh."
Similar thing happened to me with some PIAA auxiliary lights that I bought 8 years ago for a different vehicle. I retrofitted them to my Frontier fog lights and wanted to put a yellow Lamin-X overlay on them. When I was prepping the lens surface, there was plastic junk all over them peeling everywhere.

I never took off the protective film...