Notices

Rear Stabilizer (sway) Bar Bushing Bracket Mounting Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 01:58 PM
StateNuke08

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Stabilizer (sway) Bar Bushing Bracket Mounting Bolts

First... to moderators and vets; I have been searching the forum for days and can't find an answer to my specific problem.

I am attempting to remove the rear stabilizer bar. I removed one of the mounting bracket nuts without much problem, but the other nut was stuck on real good. When I got a cheater bar, the nut head yielded and rounded all the way around. Now I've got a rounded nut with no room to fit vise grips or some other mechanism to grip it (those who have worked here know this is a tight fit without much room to fit a wrench). Long story short, I'm going to just cut the nut off with a dremel because it's the only thing that will fit in.

When I do this I will need to replace the actual bolt on the backside of the bracket. I've looked through the parts catalog for the damn thing and get blanked. There's a diagram for the bracket and the nut, but no luck with the bolt. Anybody got any suggestions for the part number of this bolt? I've attached a picture of the parts catalog showing the bracket and nut, but who'd of guessed it, no bolt! Please help...
Attached Thumbnails Rear Stabilizer (sway) Bar Bushing Bracket Mounting Bolts-350z-stabilizer-bar-mount.jpg  
Old 09-21-2015, 02:15 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

Did you soak the mounting nuts with WD40 or other lubricant prior to wrenching on it? As for replacing the bolt, just get a nut and bolt gauge to measure length, size and thread pattern. You may need a welder and some fabrication help to get this installed properly.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:26 PM
StateNuke08

Thanks for the quick reply...

I did soak the nut with penetrating oil. I also used a torch to heat it as well (making sure not to damage the rubber in the bushing while I did it). None of that worked.

If this was a standard bolt I would do as you suggested. Unfortunately for me, I've never seen a bolt like this before. I've attached a picture below of one I got from the other side of the bracket.
Attached Thumbnails Rear Stabilizer (sway) Bar Bushing Bracket Mounting Bolts-0921151823.jpg  
Old 09-21-2015, 02:29 PM
timeltel

Received 176 Likes on 122 Posts

Nut splitter work?

Old 09-21-2015, 02:37 PM
StateNuke08

hahaha... tried that too. There's not enough room around the nut to fit a splitter. I'm probably going to get crucified by somebody for showing a picture of what I've already done to the nut/bolt, but attached is a picture of what I'm working with. The nut/bolt is pretty much destroyed at this point, so just a reference to where I can get the new bolt is really all I need. I can cut/grind my way through the rest. Time/money/patience is all it takes haha.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:40 PM
StateNuke08

Picture Attachment didn't upload... derp
Attached Thumbnails Rear Stabilizer (sway) Bar Bushing Bracket Mounting Bolts-0921151832a.jpg  
Old 09-21-2015, 03:11 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

Originally Posted by StateNuke08
Thanks for the quick reply...

I did soak the nut with penetrating oil. I also used a torch to heat it as well (making sure not to damage the rubber in the bushing while I did it). None of that worked.

If this was a standard bolt I would do as you suggested. Unfortunately for me, I've never seen a bolt like this before. I've attached a picture below of one I got from the other side of the bracket.
When swapping out my sway bars, I soaked them overnight and had no problem removing them the next day with the correct socket. BTW- that type of bolt looks very similar to a wheel stud. Take it to your local Nissan dealer and I bet they can match it up for you.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:19 PM
StateNuke08

Yeah, I was hoping to avoid having to make a trip to the dealer and see if anybody here knew by way of chance. Looks like that's where I'll be heading.

Total newbs type question, but when you say soak, you mean shoot the hell out of it and let it sit right? You're not making some contraption to submerse it in oil overnight, because I definitely shot it with oil and let it sit.

I wish the bolt was normal so I could put a backing bit on a drill and try to back it off, but the grooves you can see in the picture above prevent it from turning. All of this so I can just move the stock sway bar out of the way to get the camber bolt out!!! Seriously, why would they put the camber bolt in suck a way that you have to take the sway bar off and not the other way around!
Old 09-21-2015, 03:47 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

you could do like wheel thieves do to get around wheel locks, but you will kill the ozone some.... freeze it with freon, and then hit it with a hammer. this is on a lock, but same principle

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...with-a-hammer/

not sure if it would work but doesn't hurt to try at this point
Old 10-30-2015, 02:15 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

You did a good job on busting that nut... I ended up using a drill and 3 inch cut off wheel on my exhaust. Worked like a champ but took forever... I had to get some new drill bits and drill out the bolts also I feel your pain...

I would think any auto parts place should be able to match up that bolt for you, if not ace (rockies) whatever you have, and tractor supply have a lot of nuts and bolts that im sure would work.
Old 10-30-2015, 02:34 PM
StateNuke08

So like you dboyz, I ended up grinding completely out and substituted the oem bolt with a stainless steal bolt of the same size from home depot. I tried to get the same one from Nissan, but some engineer in their infinite wisdom, made that bolt "a part of the frame" that you can only get if you purchase the whole frame. Seriously, not kidding. Guy at the dealership just looked at me and said... "that sucks for you".

So moral of the story and word of advise to others.... DO NOT TRASH THIS BOLT!!
Old 10-30-2015, 06:23 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

I feel your pain...

And I have 4 more just like this I need to get off
Old 10-30-2015, 07:42 PM
StateNuke08

Wow... Was it in a flood or you near salt water? I've never seen exhaust rusted THAT bad.
Old 10-31-2015, 05:01 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Haha welcome to New England. They put chemicals and salt on the roads all winter long so the roads remain somewhat ice free. This actually isnt that bad compared to most cars that are 11 years old.