Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

alignment help, PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 05:16 PM
Driven

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alignment help, PLEASE!

OK...it's amazing me how many different answers I'm getting from people that are supposedly knowledgable about cars and performance. I won't go into all that I've heard, but rather ask that anyone who considers themselves worthy to comment...please do so:

I am dropping my car about .75" and need to know the following: The shop wants me to put my stock wheels back on for the alignment because they cannot get their balancer to clip onto my aftermarket wheels without possibly marring them. My question is...since my aftermarket wheels are not only a different width...but also a different offset, AND a different diameter...if they align the car with the stock wheels, will the numbers remain constant when I put the aftermarket wheels back on? The logic I've heard on this is ALL over the board and would like to put to rest so I can sleep easy at night! Thanks...ohh, if it helps, you all know the stock wheels and tire setup...I'm running 9.5's front and 10.5's rear all with a 25+ offset. Tires are smaller in diameter in that they are 265/35/18 and 295/35/18's.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:36 PM
julian

Changing your wheels won't affect your alignment settings.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:36 PM
julian

sorry double post by accident. did the computer step on a duck?
Old 11-23-2004, 06:41 PM
2003z

I don't know. When I dropped my car and brought it to my favorite alignment shop they told me to wait for my iforged wheels to come back before aligning, since they were different from the stock wheels. (wheel was bent and took 9 months to get fixed, but thats another story). Anyway, if your offest and width is significantly different, I would take it somewhere where they can align with the new wheels, although, I guess in WI, you might be limited.

I plan on getting an alignment on our lowered magnum tomorrow. If you give me your wheel specs I'll ask them what they think. (Butler Tire, Atlanta) This shop specializes in high end cars and big wheels, catering to pro athletes and the like.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:46 PM
King Tut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I already answered this. The wheels WILL AND I REPEAT WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE. There is no way they are the exact same diameter as the stock setup and tires are much wider. Find a different shop.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:10 PM
Driven

2003Z...wheel and tire sizes posted in original post...yes, not to say I don't agree with King Tut..but would like additional support. Like I said...I just can't believe how many people who actually DO alignments seem to be contradicting what I believe is general logic. I remember having a Toyota that I ran much larger tires on with different offsets and was specifically told I should get an alignment to make everything ride nice. My logic is this: I don't think the offset makes a difference and I don't even think the width makes a difference...in my mind I don't see how they would...however, the diameter does seem that it would make a difference since it would change the angle of the tire relative to the suspension (camber) presuming all other factors stay the same.

So if I can confirm what King Tut suggests...then the next question is this: I've found a place that suggests they have one of the best systems/units in the area...even they said they cannot guarantee that it will not leave small indentations or scratches where it is cliped between the rim and the tire where the bead is. I have Volk polished wheels with very little lip, and am wondering if the slight variation in alignment between stock wheels and the sizes mentioned above is worth the risk of having them do the alignment with the Volks on? Or can they mathematically calculate what alignment numbers they should shoot for knowing my non OEM tire sizes?
Old 11-24-2004, 05:11 AM
2003z

ok, they are 10.5 and 9.5, but what are the offsets? Thats pretty important info.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:03 AM
Driven

Offsets were included in original post also: 25+ on fronts and back. Got a chance to talk to a local alignment guru...owns his own shop and has been doing alignments for over 20 years. He took the time to explain the logistics and I'm comfortable with his answer...the size tire, offset...even the diameter wheel you may be running all have zero impact on the alignment. However...as we all know, if you change anything in your suspension like springs, etc., then there is an impact.

He explained the reason someone may have strongly recommended an alignment when going oversize on a truck...said it is typical to "toe in" slightly when running oversize wheels.

Anyway...thanks for your feedback...if anyone can substantiate this is inaccurate...please feel free to do so.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:05 AM
2003z

ok, but my alignment guy said they definitely make a difference when I talked to him today.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:41 PM
Driven

Well, I don't know what experience he has...as I said, I got that same answer from many I thought knew what they were doing...and I can't say for sure unless I was the one doing it...but the explaination I got made sense. If you are able to get detailed explaination, I'd be interested in hearing it...otherwise I guess I'll never know! I can't believe this is like arguing about whether God exists or not...can't anyone who knows their crap put in black and white what is indisputable?
Old 07-28-2014, 03:46 AM
vagel72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow...lol
Old 07-28-2014, 04:57 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by vagel72
Wow...lol
10 year bump, wow