Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Suspension FAQ and Reviews! (tech info, tuning, and reviews)

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 07:55 AM
71510ken

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 350Z stock front an rear springs an struts

Hello all, I won these brand new factory front an rear springs an struts that were taken off a brand new 2005 350Z and replaced with perfomance nissmo units. I cant use them (wish i could there very nice!) due to the fact that I have a 71 510. If anyone out there is looking for a nice new set for a fraction of the cost please feel free to E mail me! I'm open to any offers as well as any trades! I do have pictures so again please E mail me! I hate to see these not being used!
Thanks all!
Ken
jmhaldeman@comcast.net
or ph# 360-909-6773
Old 12-26-2005, 08:59 PM
nightfire

That's great that everyone is writing indepth reviews for the Z's supension, but how about a compairison? Which coilover is the best (HKS Hipermax II, JIC, or Tein Flex)?
Old 12-30-2005, 10:17 PM
mraturbo
Banned

Great information. We like JICs for race yet use a Tokico/Eibach for the street.

Warmly,

Michael
VRT

www.ViolentRacing.com
Old 01-01-2006, 07:02 AM
MoodDude

Tein Flex w/ EDFC, Hotchkis sway bars, Kinetix A-Arms and Traction/camber arms. My car is lowered by 1" and has an agressive alignment.

Ride: With the Tein turned to soft feels a little stiffer than stock. Yet, the sway bars definitely keep the car level around the turn. When the Tein is turned all the way "hard" it feels like a race car. When I auto-X I have found that setting the front to 4 (0 being the hardest, 16 being the softest) and the rear to 7 or 8 is the best. For the drag strip setting the rear to Zero and front to 2-4 works best.

Kinetix allows for a much more agressive camber than stock, and when you lower your car by more than 3/5", your stock adjust will be out of range.

Easy to adjust - EDFC what else could be easier.

Look - lowering the car looks great, yet my suspension looks like a christmas tree (green coil overs w/ red sway bars).

Cons - more noise than stock, yet I would expect that with the bushings.
Old 02-26-2006, 01:00 PM
first350

Default '05 350Z enthusiast, hotckis tvs 1 kit (springs/sways)

I just did my first autocross with this set up and loved it! The sways were st to Med/Med. I had OEM tires, AEM CAI, MD plenum spacer.

The car was much more neutral around cornering and was fairly easy to oversteer. Before, I could go into a corner a little hot and trail brake through it to reduce understeer; Now, when I tried doing the same thing, the rear end would quicky come out (fun, but slow). Understeer was much much less around corners. The car doesn't lean as much, but it's also more sensitive to my inputs - I think I'm able to see the affects of my driving more...some of my bad habits that I could get away with the stock suspension don't work so well now.

I love the set-up and feel like the next then to upgrade is my driving skills...that's the fun part!
Old 03-30-2006, 08:44 AM
downforce

What shocks did you use with the hotchkis tvs kit?
Old 06-14-2006, 06:01 AM
3five0_GT

Here conversion if needed.

Springs are rated in pounds/inch in the U.S., and Newtons/millimeter elsewhere.

1 pound = 0.45359237 kilogram
1 inch = 25.4 millimeter
0.45359237/25.4 = 0.0178579673228346

The conversion factor is 0.0178579673228346

So, to convert lb/in to kg/mm you multiply by 0.0179 and to convert kg/mm to lb/in you divide by 0.0179
Old 06-14-2006, 09:01 AM
downforce

Still no one has said which STRUTS/SHOCKS they are using with the Hotchkis! What would be the correct set to use with the TVS so as not to have too much bounce or be to soft. Like NISMO their system works because they set it up together.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:43 AM
eat rice z33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where can i purchase those articles that were scanned on those links? thansk
Old 06-14-2006, 10:45 AM
3five0_GT

Originally Posted by downforce
Still no one has said which STRUTS/SHOCKS they are using with the Hotchkis! What would be the correct set to use with the TVS so as not to have too much bounce or be to soft. Like NISMO their system works because they set it up together.
A lot of users use Koni struts or you can use stock. The drop will keep everything within spec so you really wont have to worry about the negatives. Once you change out the springs the bounce should go away. If not add the koni and your good to go.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:44 PM
downforce

Thanks,

Are you talking about the koni yellows?

I was thinking about using TVS from Hotchkis but didn't want to screw up the shock/spring combo.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:20 PM
dank311

Thanks everyone, I hope everyone is still enjoying the information and can find these reviews useful. I havent posted here in a while, so I will hopefully get a chance to add more information and personal reviews on my Zeal V6 coilvers, alignment, camber/toe, sway bars, and general suspension tuning...keep the reviews coming!
Old 06-14-2006, 07:07 PM
3five0_GT

Thanks,

Are you talking about the koni yellows?

I was thinking about using TVS from Hotchkis but didn't want to screw up the shock/spring combo.
Yes, the Koni sport yellows. you can get them from 350evo. You will be ok.
For myself, I rather have a true coilover setup.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:44 PM
first350

sorry, haven't checked this area in awhile...I'm using OE shocks with the TVS 1 kit. spring/shock combo seems fine (both street and track).

overall I'm still very happy with the set-up...but i'm looking for a set of coilovers to go even lower and if I have enouhg $, to adjust the dampening.

-peter
Old 12-19-2006, 11:42 AM
mavtais

Swift Sport Mach Springs Review:
https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-suspension/231140-swift-sport-mach-springs-just-installed.html
Old 01-28-2007, 10:27 PM
downforce

Nismo S-Tune
Damper Design: Twin Tube
Damper Adjustment: none
Height Adjustment: none (-20mm fixed)
F Spring Rate: 8.1kg/mm +43% (progressive)
R Spring Rate: 8.9kg/mm +48% (progressive)
Roll Transfer: +5% stiffness to rear
Notes: Includes pillowball upper mounts. All rates tuned specific for Z

source: 350z - tech.com/zwiki/Coilovers

Last edited by downforce; 01-28-2007 at 10:38 PM.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:56 PM
downforce

You could almost get the Nismo S-Tune spring rates with an adjustable ride height and dampening by mixing two HKS sets.

Front HKS RS
448/448 F+43% R+31%

Rear HKS HIPERMAX II
504/504 F+61% R+47%

Then you would also have somewhere close to a Roll Transfer: +5% stiffness to rear. Then pick up some 350evo sways and cachow baby! All hypothetically speaking of course.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:20 AM
tonysZ

has anyone had any experience w/ the nismo s-tune? besides all the techinical data above?
Old 03-22-2007, 12:16 AM
EuStOn

Originally Posted by MoodDude
Tein Flex w/ EDFC, Hotchkis sway bars, Kinetix A-Arms and Traction/camber arms. My car is lowered by 1" and has an agressive alignment.

Ride: With the Tein turned to soft feels a little stiffer than stock. Yet, the sway bars definitely keep the car level around the turn. When the Tein is turned all the way "hard" it feels like a race car. When I auto-X I have found that setting the front to 4 (0 being the hardest, 16 being the softest) and the rear to 7 or 8 is the best. For the drag strip setting the rear to Zero and front to 2-4 works best.

Kinetix allows for a much more agressive camber than stock, and when you lower your car by more than 3/5", your stock adjust will be out of range.

Easy to adjust - EDFC what else could be easier.

Look - lowering the car looks great, yet my suspension looks like a christmas tree (green coil overs w/ red sway bars).

Cons - more noise than stock, yet I would expect that with the bushings.
i thought for drag racing, you would like the rear to sink in so you get more traction for rwd cars... doesnt the setting on the rear should be 16, and front should be semi hard like close to 0?
Old 03-27-2007, 11:21 AM
dTor

Default Review: Nismo Sway bars

2003 G35 Coupe w/ stock 18" wheels

Previous suspension mods:

Unrevised 350z Springs
Project Kics spacers: 15mm front, 20mm rear
Tires: Nitto 555, oem sizes

I just installed the Nismo front and rear sways yesterday. It took me exactly 2 hours, working under the car on jack stands.

All I can say is OMMFG!! I can't believe how well the new sways control body roll! I go to work the same route every day, and I've got some Lateral G data (taken by my Apexi RSM w/ G-Sensor). My best (consistently) was .96 Gs on an interstate on ramp I take everyday on the way home. I'll edit this with the new reading if it changes.

There is one sharp turn (30 mph caution sign) that I hit on my way to work. I usually didn't take it over 60ish because the car felt like it was pushing (understeer) going any faster than that. I hit it as 60 this morning and it felt like I was in a go-kart. I'm going to push it harder and see what I can get.

I bought these second-hand from Turbo Toys for less than half of what they cost new. Most people don't go with the Nismos because they are not adjustable, but through my research, most people with experience with these say that they are as stiff as what most people set their adjustable sways to. I don't track the car, so adjustablility was not as important to me. I tend to think that the factory can do a better job engineering these for our cars than an aftermarket mfr can simply because they have all of the vehicles engineering data to work with.

I'll post more later.

Quick Reply: Suspension FAQ and Reviews! (tech info, tuning, and reviews)