Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

eibach ESS springs - questions

Old 10-12-2005, 04:38 PM
palepony

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default eibach ESS springs - questions

where can i find more information on these springs? i can't find them on the eibach site, only on some vendor sites via google

are linear, come in various lengths/spring rates, and have an OD of our OEM rear. not sure if available in OEM front OD. they seem perfect for those wanting to choose their ride height and spring rate, or am i dreaming?

Gsedan - from an old thread of yours you list the OD's
front - Outside Diameter 4.5"
rear - Outside Diameter 5.0625"
do you have the OEM lengths measured for baseline?

thanks
pp
Old 10-12-2005, 07:31 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The ESS springs are only a solution for the rear, other then doing a coilover conversion like I did their are no front spring option's other then current crop of lowering springs on the market.

This is what I have at this moment

Oem rear spring free length for 350Z's with the revised suspension (427lbs) 2004.5+
12 7/16"

Free length for rear Tein 350Z H-tech's 12 1/4" (375lbs)

Somewhere in a notebook I've manged to misplace, I have the free length of the rear oem Z springs from 2003-2004 cars (342lbs), I am almost certain it is 12 3/4"

So the question that I never got around to, which ESS free length would be the best choice. That would depend on desired rear drop and the rate choosen. You can effect rear ride height seperate from the spring length by making changes to and or above the rear upper spring seat. You can add up to a 3/8" shim above it to gain that much rear height, or you can cut it down from it's 1 1/4" thickness to as little as 1/2", but make no mistake, cutting it is NOT easy. I don't see any reason why someone couldn't use one of Energy Suspension's 3/8" thick poly bushings as a new upper spring seat.

On the left is a uncut oem rear upper spring seat. On the left is a cut down spring seat with a pair of 3/8" spacers to bring it back to near oem bushing height.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:57 PM
daveh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing to note is the you may have to trim an inch or so off the the bottom of a linear sping to sit right in the bottom tray. This was done to my hyperco's.
Perhaps you could just trim the spring more or less to get the desired ride height. (I'm having a hard time picturing the indentation of the lower spring basket in my head so I'm not sure if that would work or not).

Another option would be to call up tein and buy their rear perch and any of their linear springs.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:53 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would the TEIN springs work?

They have different replacement springs with various sizes / lenths...

http://performancenissanparts.com/ca...?cPath=292_857
Old 10-13-2005, 06:19 PM
Gsedan35

Originally Posted by daveh
One thing to note is the you may have to trim an inch or so off the the bottom of a linear sping to sit right in the bottom tray. This was done to my hyperco's.
Perhaps you could just trim the spring more or less to get the desired ride height. (I'm having a hard time picturing the indentation of the lower spring basket in my head so I'm not sure if that would work or not).

Another option would be to call up tein and buy their rear perch and any of their linear springs.
Dave, believe me I tried the Tein angle, they flat out refuse to sell you part's other then springs if you can't prove you own their coilovers. Though I did not run other companies that use 5" OD springs in the rear through my mind. On their Japanese web site, they show spring perched parts, several in fact. But they are only avaliable to those in their rebuild shop doing repairs, nice. But, I never did talk to tein about their rear springs off their coilovers, heck, they might have free length avaliable that are better suited then the ESS, hmmmm. But, what about the issue of the pig tail on that spring? I'll have to see if have pics of the spring uninstalled.

The thought of the pig tail fitting in the oem lower seat cup did occur to me, hard to tell in pics of the ESS springs,
Old 10-13-2005, 06:23 PM
Gsedan35

Originally Posted by Jason@Performance
Would the TEIN springs work?

They have different replacement springs with various sizes / lenths...

http://performancenissanparts.com/ca...?cPath=292_857
Tein does not list the 5" outside diameter springs they use in rear with their coilovers as a seperate part, not even on their web site in Japan. But, whenever I've called Tein they talked about how I could order them from any authorized Tein dealer. Basically I tell the tech what I want, he give me a part number that I give to you. Thing is, they might only sell the rear springs to those that can prove they own a set of Tein coilovers since the spring is not part of their regular lineup, just like they refused to sell me coilover parts. At least they are good people to talk to on the phone
Old 10-13-2005, 10:08 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
Tein does not list the 5" outside diameter springs they use in rear with their coilovers as a seperate part, not even on their web site in Japan. But, whenever I've called Tein they talked about how I could order them from any authorized Tein dealer. Basically I tell the tech what I want, he give me a part number that I give to you. Thing is, they might only sell the rear springs to those that can prove they own a set of Tein coilovers since the spring is not part of their regular lineup, just like they refused to sell me coilover parts. At least they are good people to talk to on the phone
I have them on there...

I am an authorized TEIN dealer...

Here is a link to the rear replacement springs for 350Z / G35 tein coil overs...

http://performancenissanparts.com/ca...h=292_1319_935
Old 10-14-2005, 05:39 AM
Gsedan35

Originally Posted by Jason@Performance
I have them on there...

I am an authorized TEIN dealer...

Here is a link to the rear replacement springs for 350Z / G35 tein coil overs...

http://performancenissanparts.com/ca...h=292_1319_935

But, how tall are then in free length? Way to go to have them listed on your site
Old 10-14-2005, 08:43 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

They are what ever come with the TEIN Flex / CS as far as free length and OD... Ill see if I can find out from TEIN today... They might be a bit short I think though since they are made to go on the upper spring perch for their coil over set up...

But, these springs are made to order... So I can most likely get some made with a longer free-length to work with the stock upper mounts...
Old 10-14-2005, 01:46 PM
palepony

"The ESS springs are only a solution for the rear, other then doing a coilover conversion like I did their are no front spring option's other then current crop of lowering springs on the market."

forgive my ignorance. what is it about the 350z's front that a 4.5" OD from tein or ESS won't work?

thanks
Old 10-18-2005, 10:21 AM
Gsedan35

Originally Posted by palepony
"The ESS springs are only a solution for the rear, other then doing a coilover conversion like I did their are no front spring option's other then current crop of lowering springs on the market."

forgive my ignorance. what is it about the 350z's front that a 4.5" OD from tein or ESS won't work?

thanks
Because the front oem system use's a blended diameter spring. at the top where the oem spring meet's the oem upper shock mount your at 4.5" OD. This diameter is consistant down the spring until you get to the last one or two coil's at the bottom, their OD shrinks down a bit to 4.25". The Tein spring I used is too fat on the inside at the bottom of the spring and is flat at the bottom. The oem lower spring seat requires a spring that has a pig tail to it. For this reason, the ESS springs will not work in the front. The Tein tapered springs will only work with a custom coilover conversion in the front like I created using Koni coilover sleave parts and a custom fabbed 5052 aluminum adaptor ring, all made possible because the Koni shocks have removeable spring perches.

Old 10-24-2005, 02:43 AM
palepony

thank you

based on your other posts i figured it was the taper/pigtail that was the problem. thanks for confirmation.

pp
Old 02-18-2015, 02:47 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thread from the dead! Haha.

Is the Eibach ESS still the only OTS rear spring that we can use at the rear? I am looking to swap the rear springs to a higher spring rate on a set of coilovers I bought (the spring sits in the OEM rear bucket still).

I see Landrum makes some: http://www.summitracing.com/search/p...cing%20Springs

as well as Eibach (but couldn't find availability of the Eibach ESS): http://www.summitracing.com/search/p...cending&page=2