Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Sway Bars - are they worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 04:43 PM
jgray

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sway Bars - are they worth it?

Ok, this may sound like a dumb question, but I'm just starting to mod my Z so hang with me.

What's the difference (if any) between the stock sway bars and say, the Eibach Anti-roll kit? Is there really that much difference? After market sway bars look just like the bar under my hood (with the exception of a few additional bends)! If an after market kit will help stiffen the suspension and quicken the steering response, then I'm all for it. But if I'm just paying for a tube of metal with some sort of branding on it then I'll pass.

If you have a recommendation other than Eiback then I am willing to listen. I just listed them because I'm considering their spring kit too.

Thanks for your feedback!

Joel
Old 12-27-2006, 04:46 PM
plumpzz

Hotchkis, Cusco or 350EVO are usually the best bet. I have cusco myself.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:57 PM
SpoilsofWar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stock bars are hollow, with most aftermarket bars being solid (there are exceptions, I believe the nismo bars are hollow) and of larger diameter. They are therefore stronger, which translates into less allowed roll and a stiffer suspension. Also, many of the aftermarket sway bars are adjustable in that they have two or three holes for the end links to attach to.

They are worth it, I am running the progress sways and am very pleased with the difference they made, at a reasonable price.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:23 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SpoilsofWar
The stock bars are hollow, with most aftermarket bars being solid (there are exceptions, I believe the nismo bars are hollow) and of larger diameter. They are therefore stronger, which translates into less allowed roll and a stiffer suspension. Also, many of the aftermarket sway bars are adjustable in that they have two or three holes for the end links to attach to.

They are worth it, I am running the progress sways and am very pleased with the difference they made, at a reasonable price.
I wouldn't exactly describe it that way. Some aftermarket are hollow (Hotchkis for example) while some are solid.

The main attraction for aftermarket sway bars is that they are stiffer than stock and have multiple adjustments.

Whether they are "worth it" or not all depends on why you want them and what you plan to do with them. If you're getting them to autocross or track your car and you want to reduce body roll, then yes, they're worth it.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:27 PM
SpoilsofWar

lol, so what wouldn't you describe that way - the fact that I left out that the hotchkis bars are hollow too?

Perfectionists...
The following users liked this post:
Sailorgonzo (07-17-2016)
Old 12-27-2006, 05:31 PM
Oleg

I have Hotchkis.
They are great.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:36 PM
plumpzz

Like i said, if you want them, your best bet is hotchkis, cusco or 350evo. They're just part of a whole suspension setup. I chose cusco for a few reasons, mainly cause they're solid and are very stiff.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:42 PM
06r33z

tanabe sways are good too just installed tanabe sways 2days ago.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:43 PM
MyV6IsFast3r

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Want something cheaper go with Progress. Nice thick solid bars with collars. Can't beat the price. Cusco are hella expensive.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:45 PM
jgray

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
If you're getting them to autocross or track your car and you want to reduce body roll, then yes, they're worth it.
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I do at least 5-6 track days each year and in '07 I plan on attending even more.

Body roll is an issue with my stock setup and I was just wondering if the sway bars would make that much difference. It sounds like it will, although I'm considering other options such as new wheels/tires, Eiback springs and possibly different shocks too. How would you rate the sway versus the spring/shock mod? Will I get more initial bang-for-the-buck with a sway bar? Eventually I will have all of these items installed, so I'm just wondering where's the best place to begin.

Joel
Old 12-27-2006, 05:46 PM
jgray

I haven't researched this yet, but what is the install process? Is there a link somewhere that might help? I'm assuming this is something I can do myself and that removing the rear cover takes some time and knowledge.

Joel

Last edited by jgray; 12-27-2006 at 05:48 PM.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:51 PM
UGOTZ'D

Aftermarket sways are a must for cornering! Take a corner as fast as possible with stock sway bars then replace them with aftermarket and take the same corner in the same conditons! (night and day!)
Old 12-27-2006, 06:10 PM
jinsei888

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have cuscos and love 'em to death! nearly decimates any sense of left/right roll on long sweepers
Old 12-27-2006, 06:23 PM
Beer Goggles

Stiffer sway bars are not always the best option for every situation. They can reduce steering and in tight autoX may not be the best choice to simply "go stiffer."

Some of the aftermarket setting are softer than stock. But in general they will help with body roll, by lifting up the inside wheel in the turn and lowering the CG, and that can help corner better. But nothing is better than the right tires

Shocks will help, but they don't do the same thing as swaybars, so it's not really something to compare.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:26 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jgray
I haven't researched this yet, but what is the install process? Is there a link somewhere that might help? I'm assuming this is something I can do myself and that removing the rear cover takes some time and knowledge.

Joel
Actually, the installation is pretty simple and straightforward. I only did the fronts and it took less than an hour with hand tools on Rhinoramps in my driveway.

The Hotchkis install instructions can be found here...
http://www.hotchkistuning.com/bin/in...ions/22413.pdf
Old 12-27-2006, 06:44 PM
jgray

Thanks DavesZ#3. I was assuming that all of the sway bars replaced front and rear OEM bars - poor assumption on my part I guess.

I've also been reading on the top 100 questions in your sig this evening - great general info there!

Joel
Old 12-27-2006, 06:45 PM
plumpzz

Originally Posted by Beer Goggles
Stiffer sway bars are not always the best option for every situation. They can reduce steering and in tight autoX may not be the best choice to simply "go stiffer."

Some of the aftermarket setting are softer than stock. But in general they will help with body roll, by lifting up the inside wheel in the turn and lowering the CG, and that can help corner better. But nothing is better than the right tires

Shocks will help, but they don't do the same thing as swaybars, so it's not really something to compare.
Very true. I actually want to make my front softer (effectively stiffening the rear)
Old 12-27-2006, 07:43 PM
Mazinger Z

Just ordered the Hotchkis TVS kit (springs + sways) from intense. Woot!
Old 12-27-2006, 07:50 PM
dimebagdolf

HUGE difference.

I was running Nismo S Tune for a while. Initially with stock sways. Later installed my Hotchkis sways and it made an enormous difference.

For any type of cornering, be it street or track... Sways make a night and day difference.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:40 PM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jgray
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I do at least 5-6 track days each year and in '07 I plan on attending even more.

Body roll is an issue with my stock setup and I was just wondering if the sway bars would make that much difference. It sounds like it will, although I'm considering other options such as new wheels/tires, Eiback springs and possibly different shocks too. How would you rate the sway versus the spring/shock mod? Will I get more initial bang-for-the-buck with a sway bar? Eventually I will have all of these items installed, so I'm just wondering where's the best place to begin.

Joel
Prices varies. If you can do your own installation, you'll save a lot of money.

The single mod that will most affect your Z's handling (appart from tires) are the shocks. Better damping will plant your car in a corner much faster and won't induce some nasty surprises that stiffer swaybar can. It's a bit harder to install though.

Get damping first. Then balance the car with sways if you still think it needs some help.

Quick Reply: Sway Bars - are they worth it?