Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Installed - Nismo Z mass dampers

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 01:27 PM
cupcar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking at the chassis, it seems to me that if one wants the best performance, a strut that eliminates as much flex as possible is better. The shocks at $293 each are too expensive for a compromise between noise, ride and performance IMHO.

So, instead of the shocks I plan to install solid tubing between the brackets terminated with left and right handed rod ends to make the length adjustable .

I ordered the mounting brackets only from Nissan which cost me $73.44 including CA sales tax.

I figure the whole deal with tubing, rod ends and weld bungs will come in at around $225

I will post pics and opinion when done.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:08 PM
LaoSiFu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cupcar
Looking at the chassis, it seems to me that if one wants the best performance, a strut that eliminates as much flex as possible is better. The shocks at $293 each are too expensive for a compromise between noise, ride and performance IMHO.

So, instead of the shocks I plan to install solid tubing between the brackets terminated with left and right handed rod ends to make the length adjustable .

I ordered the mounting brackets only from Nissan which cost me $73.44 including CA sales tax.

I figure the whole deal with tubing, rod ends and weld bungs will come in at around $225

I will post pics and opinion when done.
Interesting, hope to hear something soon about it.

~Robert
Old 05-03-2008, 05:49 AM
cupcar

I have my parts and hope to weld up my kit next week but, looking at another thread on this subject, I found that a Japanese company named Ikeya has produced the product below which does exactly what I am planning. Image stolen from that thread.

Last edited by cupcar; 05-03-2008 at 05:53 AM.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:21 PM
cupcar

Here are some pictures of my project bars. I need to have them welded up for final installation.

The material is 1" chromoly tubing with 7/16" rod ends. The 7/16" bolts retaining the rod ends to the factory Nismo brackets are a net fit in the brackets's holes.

Note that the front bar will actually mount above the bracket in the final installation, I only mounted the rod end below so I could measure easily.

Note in the picture on the far right I have drawn in the extension of the frame rail under the radiator shroud that the mount bolts to. This frame rail is only supported by the bumper attachments and this is why there is flex at this point. The new bar functions the same as a strut brace across the shock towers but forward and lower.

Photos from right to left are 1) Front bar 2) Rear Bar 3) Rear bar end 4) Frame rail showing how the bar ties together what is a big "U" shaped element of the chassis 5) Bottom photo is of the end of the front bar showing how the bar will mount on top of the bracket finally
Attached Thumbnails Installed - Nismo Z mass dampers-whole-front-strut.jpg   Installed - Nismo Z mass dampers-whole-rear-strut.jpg   Installed - Nismo Z mass dampers-rear-strut-end.jpg   Installed - Nismo Z mass dampers-frame-rail.jpg   Installed - Nismo Z mass dampers-front-strut-end.jpg  

Last edited by cupcar; 05-11-2008 at 09:11 AM.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:46 PM
LaoSiFu

Very nice piece cupcar. Give you a lot of credit to craft something of your own. How do you like it so far?

~Robert
Old 05-13-2008, 02:56 PM
cupcar

Well, my bars are welded, painted and installed.

I have only driven the car a bit, but it seems that steering response is a touch better.

It does also seem there may be more tire noise than before though- maybe this is what Nissan is tuning out with the shocks they use.

I will need to drive more and get to a place where I can work the chassis to see if things are really better though.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:04 PM
35Z

Default Update driving experience?

Any updates on your driving experience?
Old 05-30-2008, 08:35 AM
cupcar

After driving my car more with the solid strut bars I made, I find in my car equipped with Nismo suspension (springs, shocks & stabilizers), Nismo 18" wheels and 245/275-40 tires front and rear respectively:
  • There is probably no more tire noise as I first thought
  • The ride seems unaffected as far as harshness
  • The biggest change is cornering on rough surfaces where the car is more stable, not changing its line as much in reaction to bumps.
  • The steering perhaps seems a little more responsive
Old 07-07-2008, 09:30 AM
BYL

So what is the census? Is this worth the upgrade for a daily driver?? I'm thinking about doing this in the near future.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:27 AM
cupcar

I think there are other things to spend your money and time on that will do more. I did it because it was a fun project for me.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:02 PM
MustGoFastR

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
having now had mine in for 3 days, I will keep this brief. I'm doing some notes so I can prepare a full review on them. Ride quality has IMPROVED....dramatically, especially over uneven pavement. My car is quite low, coilovers, 19's, etc. While the car was certainly liveable for everyday use where I live, this has taken it to a whole new level! 40mph over ruts in the road are significantly better absorbed than they were before - you no longer have one wheel "hopping" over it as was the case in the past...it literally softened the whole ride up front in these conditions, and it's amazing. The more I've researched these types of braces, which Yamaha has done for several companies now, the more I am discovering they are used on factory cars that have non-traditional suspensions (ie stiffer than the normal suspensions - such as the Spec C STi, the 380RS, etc). So my best educated guess is they are using these dampers to bring back some of the independance that is lost when you start with more aggressive valving, stiffer rates, stiffer sidewall tires, etc. On smoother flat roads, I have not played much as I've been datalogging some things for an upcoming project, but turn in response is definitely quicker than it was before the damper. Stay tuned for a full review coming soon once time permits and I've put some more miles on it. Again, I only installed the front, as my sub box prevents me from being able to fit the rear.
I finally installed the front and rear Nismo dampeners on my '03 Track with the following suspension equipment: Nismo S-Tune suspension and sways, 18" LMGT4 wheels with Falken RT-615 tires, 235/40-18 F, 255/40-18 R, GT-Spec 4-pt ladder brace, F & R lower tie braces and fender braces.

I agree with everything Z1 Performance said above. My car was downright harsh prior to the install of these dampeners; I could feel vibration through the pedals, every little bump in the road and and it felt like it "skipped" a bit over certain bumps. With the dampeners installed, ride quality has GREATLY improved. I haven't pushed the car in the curves yet, but have a mountain run coming up this weekend. My car was already very rigid, with neutral handling and great turn-in/steering response, so I doubt these bars made it better or worse in that respect, but the car definitely feels less jarring and skittish and more composed over irregular surfaces, while maintaining the superior handling characteristics of my stiffer suspension setup.

Keep in mind that, as stated, these bars serve a dual purpose, not only to stiffen the chassis, but to absorb vibration and thus retain a level of comfort on the road, which these certainly do. I had put off the install for a couple months because I was skeptical as to what they would actually do, but I have to say I'm downright amazed with these and my car is much more comfortable around town, while still handling like its on rails.

That said, I would surmise that the stiffer the car and more highly modified the suspension, the more apparent the benefits of these bars would be; I doubt you would feel anything if you put them on a Z with stock suspension. If you're stock and just looking or more stiffness, a cheaper, rigid bar up front would likely do the trick. As for the rear bar, given it's location, I don't really see how it could act to stiffen the chassis and improve handling (but who knows, it might); it's main function is likely vibration absorption.

I'll know more after my mountain run this weekend, but so far, I'm very happy with these bars.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:15 AM
idrive_MD

just wanted to say that this is a cool read.

after seeing a couple of Nismo-Z's romping it up at a time-attack event I've been highly interested in them and have had to take back my initial thoughts of the car just being a put together trinket for Z collectors. From what i've read and seen on the track all of the improvements Nismo made seem to be extremely benefitial.

I would think that if anyone wanted to seriously race in a Z car, a Nismo-Z would be the best starting point (aside from initial cost). The aero helps the car stay flat and glued to the track and it seems like some of the additional chassis bracing and welding combined with better shocks/springs, tires, and brakes really set these cars above the regular Z's.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:19 AM
jmark

^ Word.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:27 AM
MustGoFastR

Originally Posted by idrive_MD
I would think that if anyone wanted to seriously race in a Z car, a Nismo-Z would be the best starting point (aside from initial cost). The aero helps the car stay flat and glued to the track and it seems like some of the additional chassis bracing and welding combined with better shocks/springs, tires, and brakes really set these cars above the regular Z's.
I'd have to disagree with that. The Nismo Z is an upgrade, yes, but at $10k more than a base Z, I don't think its worth it to go that route for a track car. They did a good job with the Nismo, but not great, IMO; they had to play a balancing act between performance and real world drivability and I think they cut a few corners as well. The suspension, for instance isn't the same as the Nismo S-Tune suspension and the sways on the Nismo Z aren't the Nismo sways (they look like the stockers from any other car). The exhaust isn't a full cat-back system, either. It definitely handles better than a stock Z, but but you can upgrade a base car to handle even better and be just as rigid with aftermarket components.

Take a base Z (no slouch on the track as-is) and put that $10k into aftermarket components such as suspension, sways, chassis braces, wheels/tires, brakes, aero, a few performance upgrades and a nice mechanical LSD and you'll have a car that'll spank the living daylights out of a Nismo Z around the track.

To start with the Nismo, you're already paying a lot more for parts that could be better and likely end up upgrading down the road. The Nismo is a great car for what it is, and good for collectors and people that want something flashy and a nice upgrade out of the box, but there are definitely better routes to take for a serious track machine.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:46 AM
mthreat

I'm glad someone tried this. I remember a few years ago, during the 2005 or 2006 Formula 1 season, Renault put some kind of vibration damper in the front end of their car. (This was the year Fernando won the world championship). The ITV commentators were saying it was a big help, especially when they go over the inside curbing (as they always do).

Eventually the FIA told them they had to remove it, as it violated the rules or something, and then the commentators said it had hurt them a bit. If that was indeed a similar device to these dampers, then it's a good sign -- if a winning F1 team put them on the car, it probably actually improved handling.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:43 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mthreat
I'm glad someone tried this. I remember a few years ago, during the 2005 or 2006 Formula 1 season, Renault put some kind of vibration damper in the front end of their car. (This was the year Fernando won the world championship). The ITV commentators were saying it was a big help, especially when they go over the inside curbing (as they always do).

Eventually the FIA told them they had to remove it, as it violated the rules or something, and then the commentators said it had hurt them a bit. If that was indeed a similar device to these dampers, then it's a good sign -- if a winning F1 team put them on the car, it probably actually improved handling.
yep - actually now all the teams run j dampers - this is part of what started the whole stolen drawings fiasco ON the F1 cars it is installed at the back only. But effectively what it does is exactly as this does

lots of neat info online about them

- 'J' stands for 'jounce' which is an amalgamation of 'jump' and 'bounce'
- legal version of mass damper
- absorbs excess energy from tyres to make the load through the contact patch more predictible, and hence more stable at the point in time when stability is most crucial
- mass is attached to a threaded shaft within the transverse damper so it is effectively out of sight.

I continue to be very pleased with mine I only wish I could try the rear one too

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 09-19-2008 at 02:47 PM.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:18 PM
Mazinger Z

Worth the money?
Old 09-20-2008, 10:23 AM
BlackZTech

Thumbs down

wow, your so wrong it's not even funny..

Unless you Own NISMO 350z, which you don't then STFU

You no nothing about NISMO 350z, and you should put your foot in your *** making up and talking about thing's you know nothing about.

Please go way and don't post things about something you don't even own.

Originally Posted by MustGoFastR
I'd have to disagree with that. The Nismo Z is an upgrade, yes, but at $10k more than a base Z, I don't think its worth it to go that route for a track car. They did a good job with the Nismo, but not great, IMO; they had to play a balancing act between performance and real world drivability and I think they cut a few corners as well. The suspension, for instance isn't the same as the Nismo S-Tune suspension and the sways on the Nismo Z aren't the Nismo sways (they look like the stockers from any other car). The exhaust isn't a full cat-back system, either. It definitely handles better than a stock Z, but but you can upgrade a base car to handle even better and be just as rigid with aftermarket components.

Take a base Z (no slouch on the track as-is) and put that $10k into aftermarket components such as suspension, sways, chassis braces, wheels/tires, brakes, aero, a few performance upgrades and a nice mechanical LSD and you'll have a car that'll spank the living daylights out of a Nismo Z around the track.

To start with the Nismo, you're already paying a lot more for parts that could be better and likely end up upgrading down the road. The Nismo is a great car for what it is, and good for collectors and people that want something flashy and a nice upgrade out of the box, but there are definitely better routes to take for a serious track machine.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:28 AM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

Not that I disagree with the opinion that the NISMO Z is more than the sum of it's parts, and worth the money, in my opinion, but the statement that you have to own something to understand it's characteristics is so completely ludicrous that you, sir, are an utter retard.

I mean, I don't own a Toyota Corolla, but I'm pretty sure I can tell you that it is much less powerful, and handles a lot worse than my G, in addition to handling a lot worse, as well as a number of other characteristics.

So, to sum it up, quit being a fan boy and be open to reasonable discussion.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:19 PM
Voboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackZTech
wow, your so wrong it's not even funny..

Unless you Own NISMO 350z, which you don't then STFU

You no nothing about NISMO 350z, and you should put your foot in your *** making up and talking about thing's you know nothing about.

Please go way and don't post things about something you don't even own.
so what do you know about it?
whats the difference between a 2007+ GT Z and a 2007+ Nismo Z? The only difference is that you have a body kit, and yamaha dampers. Your car isn't that special...oh wait... it must be the two tone red seats and stitchings and nismo tachometer that your hyped about not to mention the same oem muffler with bigger tips and have nismo on them!

Last edited by Voboy; 09-20-2008 at 12:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Installed - Nismo Z mass dampers