Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Moonface Roll Center Adjusters

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 03:12 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

there are tons of reviews posted about the endlinks - quite a few posted in our classified thread and I'm sure others scattered about too

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 11-12-2008 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:10 PM
Colin_S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rrmedicx
So from what I gather Colin, the moonface upgrade was your last and most recent suspension mod, afterwhich you noticed an immediate change which was further improved after you got your alignment checked/corrected. Thank you.

Question: did the powergrid endlinks do anything for you? I am suspicious about those too.
Another waste of $$$ or useful mod? Curious about your (or anyone's) feedback on those too.
Exactly!!!

On the end links, i am happy with them too. Not sure they give a rear benefit on their own, but they allowed 'better' settings on my sways and eliminated any pre-load which i felt an improvement from too. I felt they go hand in hand with sways and if i did it again i would buy sways and end links at the same time.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:16 PM
rrmedicx

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Colin.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:19 PM
blasian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the end links.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:26 PM
Boog

Very old thread, but this isn't discussed much, so this is still probably the best place to ask a question.

The Moonface RCA kit came with a small tube of grease but with the instructions being entirely in Japanese, and no pictures that reference the grease, I have no idea where it goes. The grease is very thin, so it's doubtfull that its intended to pack the bearings (shipped packed with normal bearing grease). Anyone know if this is used to lubricate while pressing the bearing? Or as buffer between the cone and LCA seat?

Picture of the grease:

For reference, here are the instructions:

Also, it seems that a clear picture was never posted regarding the size difference. I will try to remember to snap a pic after I press out my stock ones, but for reference here is the picture from the Japanese Moonface website (have to search for the specific part number to find it.)

-Boog
Old 09-04-2012, 05:22 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

I'm still thinking about cutting my LCA mounts off the cradle, moving them up 20mm and calling it a day. I have no faith in the 3 to 5mm you can gain out of these.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:22 PM
freddys 350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

in for pics.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:01 AM
Michla22

Interesting. Mine only came with the bearing grease so not too sure what that tube is for. I didn't use any lubricants when I pressed mine in. They aren't that hard to get in and out and I only used a C-clamp to press them. Had them in for about a month and they are working fine as far as I can tell.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:27 AM
350zjason350z
Know it all

I just installed mine I put the grease in the grease boot .... I didn't think to much on it ... And my dad said that's most likely where it would go ...
Old 09-24-2012, 09:33 PM
Boog

Took some picture of the differences between stock and the Moonface RCAs.

All measurements are in mm and approximate, so don't go machining something without taking your own measurements. A caliper was used to size things; the ruler in the background is just for scale.

I'm using the lower edge of the flange for a reference point, since that it what is pressed into the spindle. Because of the color difference the heights look different, but they are basically the same length from the bottom of the flange to the base. You can see the difference in pivot point and maximum deflection. Once I cut away the boot on the OEM ball joint I found that it had almost no resistance to movement. This might be because it was worn or just looser tolerances. For reference, my car has 38k miles on it and has been lowered for the last 6k.

-Boog
Old 10-19-2012, 01:53 AM
lotteman

Based on boog's measurements, these should work in the way described. Yes they have a longer shank than OEM(from pivot point to end of shank) but the distance between the mounting point of the joint to where it bolts into the knuckle(cone washer to bottom of flange) is shorter than OEM as well. So once everything is bolted up, the LCA should be sitting lower than before(albeit only a few mm lower)

I'd still say its worth it for anyone with a 1.25" or more drop who isnt willing to cut their LCA mounts.

Last edited by lotteman; 10-19-2012 at 01:58 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:38 PM
Row2K

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

This is quickly becoming an older thread, but I'll give it a bump...

I just ordered the Moonface Roll Center front Adjusters...and although I won't see them for two months due to special order/back order status I found that Moonface also makes adjusters for the rear. These however do NOT move the pivot points: link

It appears that all that's happening in this "rear kit" is that the rear upper A arm ball joint "cone" piece pictured is shortened so that the upper A arm can be moved closer to a horizontal position after lowering the car.

Can anyone comment on weather this will make any difference on bumpsteer in the rear without adjusting the pivot point. Especially considering this being the rear upper control arm vs the front lower control arm, which we've pretty much all agreed on here requires moving the pivot point to make any difference in the front.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:57 PM
Row2K

After giving this some more thought and drawing a diagram or two of the suspension I'm coming to the conclusion that the shorter rear moonface cone inserts/ball joint seats i linked in the previous post should have a positive impact on correcting the rear roll center in a lowered car. I am fairly confident in saying this as the new inserts/knuckle seats are lowering the pivot point in a fashion that would be equivalent to cutting and lowering the ball joint pickup on the rear spindle itself....this is true if you assume/imagine the insert/cone is a part of the spindle and is now thinner when replaced with the moonface unit. Can anyone comment on this or offer some input? I am genuinely considering spending $100 on these two tiny little pieces...probably not worth it, but if I can justify their functionality I'll pull the trigger and test them along with the front moonface adjusters.

Mario
Old 01-23-2013, 05:58 PM
350zjason350z
Know it all

I bought these for the front and they came with those cone spacers I didn't use them cause the other ones were pressed in ... They look like they be the same front and rear
Old 01-23-2013, 05:59 PM
350zjason350z
Know it all

I used Sikky raised sub frame bushing to combat rear roll center
Old 01-23-2013, 06:20 PM
Row2K

Originally Posted by 350zjason350z
I used Sikky raised sub frame bushing to combat rear roll center
I have considered these, but am concerned about the additional NVH. Just installing the SPL solid diff bushings added a considerable amount of noise and I can only imagine these will make it much much worse, so I wouldn't mind giving the moonface inserts a go
Old 01-23-2013, 06:30 PM
350zjason350z
Know it all

I think I might get them .... Do you think that the ball joint its self could be used front and rear ? On the rear upper arm.. I'm gunna take my front apart and install those spacers ... I thought maybe its was the same but clearly in those measurements there not ... I got mine frsport.com they were cheaper and I got them at the end of week .. Super fast shipping
Old 01-24-2013, 11:03 AM
Row2K

I think I might get them .... Do you think that the ball joint its self could be used front and rear ? On the rear upper arm.. I'm gunna take my front apart and install those spacers ... I thought maybe its was the same but clearly in those measurements there not ... I got mine frsport.com they were cheaper and I got them at the end of week .. Super fast shipping
The rear upper ball joint has a very different casing than the front one from what I recall...much more flat and wide, so I dont think you can use the same kit front and back.

The cones that come with the front adjuster are supposed to go in to different spots as there are 4 of them. The longer one I believe goes onto the new moonface knuckle, where as the shorter one replace the OEM cone/seat on the compression rod knuckle. Its a bit thinner and shorter so it should allow the compression rod to go back to a slightly more horizontal position...
Old 01-25-2013, 12:17 PM
350zjason350z
Know it all

Yea I used the ones for the compression rod but the ones that go on the ball joint I used the stock ones cause they were stuck in the knuckle ...
Old 01-28-2013, 08:22 PM
Row2K

... I got mine frsport.com they were cheaper and I got them at the end of week .. Super fast shipping
I'm pretty sure you got the last ones in stock from frsports.com, i got a call from them today saying my wait time is until late March and they had one in stock some time ago and none since.

Quick Reply: Moonface Roll Center Adjusters