Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

**Steering knuckle ball joints??**

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 06:53 PM
cashmoney03

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How the **** did some of y'all do this in 45mins? I've spent the last 5hrs getting the drivers side done and no this isn't my first time doing ball joints or turning a wrench. I've had to custom make adapters cause the O'Reilly's kit is about 1/2" to short. And beyond all that, the damn thing went in slightly crooked so now I've gotta start all over. FML
Old 05-16-2015, 06:55 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,046 Likes on 6,512 Posts

i ended up replacing the whole assembly, couldn't find any ball joints that were the right size, they were all too short and thinner than the one that came off the car originally
Old 05-16-2015, 09:58 PM
cashmoney03

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well the second one came out and went back in like a ball joint should. I bought mine from I believe z1 and the new ones went in nice and snug. Can't wait to drive it tomorrow.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:46 PM
Davidian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So has anyone ordered and installed the Mac Auto Parts ball joints? Any fitment issues or anything I need to know about? Thinking about picking up a pair. Thanks guys!
Old 07-03-2015, 07:06 AM
DesertSleeper

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Davidian
So has anyone ordered and installed the Mac Auto Parts ball joints? Any fitment issues or anything I need to know about? Thinking about picking up a pair. Thanks guys!
I just ordered some very similar ones from Amazon for my girl's G35 coupe. The brand is MDC I think, looks identical to the MAC part from ebay. I will be installing next sunday. I will report results.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:25 PM
Davidian

Originally Posted by DesertSleeper
I just ordered some very similar ones from Amazon for my girl's G35 coupe. The brand is MDC I think, looks identical to the MAC part from ebay. I will be installing next sunday. I will report results.
Sounds good, thanks!
Old 07-10-2015, 11:15 AM
Z33Garage

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

On my 05Z one of them looks cracked.

Opinions on this one?

Old 07-21-2015, 07:17 PM
DRELOC

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ I bought those Frank for my 03, I've heard you have to reuse your OE seat & nut but i'll report back after i installed it or let the shop do it not sure how difficult it is on Z's
Old 07-23-2015, 07:01 AM
mcubed45

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

so is it a a definite model year difference now? it's weird that nissan uses the same part number for all the knuckles. but i guess the bj could be different as long as the cone OD is the same and mates with the control arm the same way.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:04 AM
travlee
Master

the ones on the hr are definitely different
Old 07-27-2015, 11:01 PM
Davidian

Originally Posted by DesertSleeper
Any updates on this?
Old 07-31-2015, 01:26 PM
rzero

FYI
I had a torn ball joint boot and was following this thread from the beginning to pick the best option.
My opinion is that the best replacement are the Moonface ball joints but they are outrageously expensive.
Also for anyone reading this, apparently the size of the ball joint its different depending on the year of your Z. If you look in Courtesy parts you will see that there are a couple of different steering knuckles (where the lower ball joint goes) and depending on the year and side, price varies.
Also if you look in Concept Z Performance they offer different ball joints depending on the year of the Z, so be careful when you order.
Now the reason I'm posting its to share this ball joint I found in Z1 Motorsports by Mevotech.
http://www.z1motorsports.com/350_g35...oducts_id=8187

I changed them and they work on my 2004 Track edition.
Model Number according the invoice is MMS30500.
Here's a picture from when I received them:

Be careful that there is another part number by the same manufacturer that looks different than these.
If you can notice the design of the dust boot is quite different than the other options I've seen. That is the reason I chose this ones. They feel very sturdy, but only time will tell.
Another plus is that they are serviceable.
Finally if you buy this ball joints be aware that you will need to reuse the metal cone shaped thing of the old ball joints.
The guy I took it to remove the old ball joints from the knuckle and press the new ones told me that sometimes those can be a PITA to remove without damaging them, so you might want to buy new ones.
Hope this helps to anyone.

And sorry for any grammatical errors, english is my second language.
Old 07-31-2015, 01:32 PM
Z33Garage

EHHH I am not looking forward to this install.....

My mind keeps screaming *WHAT IF THEY DONT FIT AND THE CAR IS STUCK!!!*
Old 07-31-2015, 01:36 PM
Z33Garage

Originally Posted by rzero
FYI
I had a torn ball joint boot and was following this thread from the beginning to pick the best option.
My opinion is that the best replacement are the Moonface ball joints but they are outrageously expensive.
Also for anyone reading this, apparently the size of the ball joint its different depending on the year of your Z. If you look in Courtesy parts you will see that there are a couple of different steering knuckles (where the lower ball joint goes) and depending on the year and side, price varies.
Also if you look in Concept Z Performance they offer different ball joints depending on the year of the Z, so be careful when you order.
Now the reason I'm posting its to share this ball joint I found in Z1 Motorsports by Mevotech.
http://www.z1motorsports.com/350_g35...oducts_id=8187

I changed them and they work on my 2004 Track edition.
Model Number according the invoice is MMS30500.
Here's a picture from when I received them:

Be careful that there is another part number by the same manufacturer that looks different than these.
If you can notice the design of the dust boot is quite different than the other options I've seen. That is the reason I chose this ones. They feel very sturdy, but only time will tell.
Another plus is that they are serviceable.
Finally if you buy this ball joints be aware that you will need to reuse the metal cone shaped thing of the old ball joints.
The guy I took it to remove the old ball joints from the knuckle and press the new ones told me that sometimes those can be a PITA to remove without damaging them, so you might want to buy new ones.
Hope this helps to anyone.

And sorry for any grammatical errors, english is my second language.
I need to check on courtesy parts about getting spare cones ( or whichever page is the one that sells the cones only)

I got the CZP cones for the 05 Z....I hope to God they fit.
Old 07-31-2015, 01:43 PM
rzero

You can check with your VIN in Nissan Parts Deal
http://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/
and verify the part number.
Old 07-31-2015, 01:57 PM
rzero

And you might want to order some cotter pins and nuts in case something strips.
I got lucky with the cones, but not so with a couple of nuts and bolts.
Use plenty of penetrating lubricant.
And hopefully the other ball joints wont need replacement.
Mine do...
Old 08-05-2015, 12:57 AM
aredd2009

Just to update this thread and share my knowledge on the subject. Nissan beefed up the ball joint on the 05+ models (larger and longer stud). Nissan also made slight changes to the ball joint seat in order to accommodate the bigger ball joint stud. As a result, slight changes were also made to the lower control arm to accommodate the new ball joint and seat. To my knowledge, the steering knuckles are exactly the same between the 03/04 and 05+ models except for the ball joint that is pressed into them (same base diameters). This is what I have gathered just from extensively analyzing the online parts catalogs and stores. Unfortunately right now, any aftermarket joint that you buy will more than likely be for the 03/04 z. Not sure why almost every aftermarket manufacturer is stating "fits 03-08 z's". Conceptz knows there are differences and sells an 05+ ball joint that is really an 03/04 joint, however the seat provided with the joint has the inner dimensions of an 03/04 and the outer dimensions of 05+ seat. So the price difference between the czp 03/04 and an 05+ ball join is justified in that you are paying for a custom made ball joint seat that adapts the 03/04 joint to the 05+ control arm. My issue is I like to think that Nissan made a larger ball joint stud for safety, peformance, or durability reasons and possibly all of the above. Unfortunately, the pickings are slim if you want the oem spec 05+ ball joint. I recently picked up the deeza ball joints listed in their online catalog (Part# IN-G605) specified to fit only the 05+ z's and there is definitely a big difference when I compared it to an autozone/duralast joint. Right now, Deeza is the only manufacturer that I know of that sells a ball joint with the oem 05+ stud and believe me I have searched extensively. The only other option is to buy the entire oem 05+ steering knuckles with the joints already pressed in. I have yet to install the deeza joints but will be doing so within a week; they look like they are of decent quality for sure.

On a side note, Mevotech also understands that there are differences between the 03/04 and 05+ joints hence why their catalog list their joints as only 03/04 compatible however some vendors are still slow to change their product descriptions. I have contacted Mevotech and they have told me that they plan to offer an oem specific ball joint for the 05+ very soon which would be nice being that they seem to be the only ones making their aftermarket ball joints serviceable.

I have learned most of this the hard way being that my ball joint boots tore a few months back and began leaking grease all over my wheels. So I had the autozone/duralast joints installed in my car as I thought they would work. Unfortunately, the shop that installed them failed to realize any differences between the parts which is why I will be changing them myself this time. At this time, my front front end just feels wrong and goes out of alignment within a few days after having it professionally done. So I thought I would post this just so those of you who have an 05+ don't make the same mistakes I did.

And if you are interested in the deeza joints it would probably be best to contact their office directly via phone and order them as I only know of one vendor that currently sells them online. It is my understanding that rockauto used to but it seems they don't anymore.

Last edited by aredd2009; 08-05-2015 at 01:21 AM.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:24 AM
travlee
Master

good write up, like you i pointed out that they changed em pages back
Old 08-30-2015, 12:09 PM
Moe747

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hit a curb yesterday and broke my spindle knuckle now I have to buy a used one and replace the ball joint on it, I'll try and take pictures and see how it goes.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:59 PM
Moe747

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick Reply: **Steering knuckle ball joints??**