Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

**Steering knuckle ball joints??**

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 09:07 PM
Moe747

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So since I'm at it, I'm going to replace the outer tie rods with new Moog ones just because they're kind of worn from what you can see in the picture. Plus the ball bearing is probably damaged from the impact so it's just a matter of time before it'll go out. The compression rod looks good so I wont be changing that, I'll just have a look at the rubber boot and inspect it. Finally I'll change the ball joints in the spindles and that's it, I'm good to go. I think.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:49 PM
Davidian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn bud, you must have hit that curb pretty hard! Total munch action! Godspeed getting back on the road man!
Old 09-20-2015, 05:30 PM
Moe747

Ball joints are Czp ones.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:15 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Damn did your tire and wheel survive that hit or did you strait hit curb on aluminum underparts action? That sucks but at least its fixable. Broken suspension parts suck the big one.
Old 09-23-2015, 02:04 PM
Moe747

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
Damn did your tire and wheel survive that hit or did you strait hit curb on aluminum underparts action? That sucks but at least its fixable. Broken suspension parts suck the big one.
The curb hit the wheel, there isn't any damage on it except for some paint chipping off the wheel itself thankfully. Stock wheels as well.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:51 PM
johnx818

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

People that installed the Duralast without changing the rubber boot, how are the ball joints and boots holding up?
Old 11-13-2015, 12:07 AM
Cujucuyo

Heya guys, just got back from my mechanic and he advised the ball joint needs to be replaced:

Name:  IMG163_zpsulcq6sge.jpg
Views: 975
Size:  183.6 KB

However I'm no expert, so I was wondering if you guys could help me to figure out with which ones can they be replaced with, will one of these work? Or are there different types of ball joints?

https://conceptzperformance.com/Cart...n.php?II=12276

http://www.carid.com/mevotech/front-...n-ms30500.html

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-13-2015, 05:36 AM
Moe747

Originally Posted by Cujucuyo
Heya guys, just got back from my mechanic and he advised the ball joint needs to be replaced:

However I'm no expert, so I was wondering if you guys could help me to figure out with which ones can they be replaced with, will one of these work? Or are there different types of ball joints?

Thanks in advance!
I recommend the ball joint from Conceptzperformance, I've heard mixed reviews about Mevotech and I have the conceptzperformance ball joints in my car.
The following users liked this post:
Cujucuyo (11-15-2015)
Old 11-13-2015, 03:41 PM
mcubed45

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Cujucuyo

Thanks in advance!
If you have on 03-04 you can use the duralast ones from autozone. Lifetime warranty and no complaints from the members that have been running them the past couple years. I've only had mine on a couple months but so far so good. The CZP are a new product so not a lot of info on durability or quality. CZP is currently the only option for 05-08 though.
The following users liked this post:
Cujucuyo (11-15-2015)
Old 12-14-2015, 10:52 AM
iFOB

so, 05-08 350z have the same front knuckle and ball joint?

has anyone else tried the Deeza ball joints?
Old 03-07-2016, 12:28 PM
rizeld

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by rizeld
Haven t seen an updated reply, but after research and trial these ball joints fit my 06 base. A little pricey imo but hell of a lot cheaper than knuckles. I did have to use slightly thinner cotter pins. The BJ threads are just a hair shorter than the OEM ones.

Amazon.com: Beck Arnley 101-7664 Ball Joint: Automotive
**********UPDATE****************************

These are a total bust. Only drove about 1500 miles on them. Both failed. Driver side boot ripped off. Both clank and are squeaky and noisey as hell. Would not reccommend using them. Unless someone else has had success.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:45 AM
B.Sterling

I just replaced both side using FEBEST 0220-V35 balljoints about 4000 ago and both are holding up fine and they are not noisy. would recommend to anyone looking for another inexpensive option.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:28 AM
Osborn Wu

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by B.Sterling
I just replaced both side using FEBEST 0220-V35 balljoints about 4000 ago and both are holding up fine and they are not noisy. would recommend to anyone looking for another inexpensive option.
and what year is your car? I'm still waiting for viable options for 05-08 models lol
Old 03-11-2016, 03:16 PM
bjr

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Osborn Wu
and what year is your car? I'm still waiting for viable options for 05-08 models lol
ConceptZPerfornance does and I have one installed in my spare knuckle but I cannot recommend it yet.
My first time I bought something from Autozone and it did not fit. Too short and stud diameter also too small so I could not reuse my cone and their cone was too small for the knuckle. It bottomed out before the cone ever really hit the knuckle. It would not go all the way through the knuckle but it was really small compared to what it needed to be.

So I bought a new OEM knuckle.

Then I notice ConceptZ offered an 03 model and an 05 model that cost much more. I just ordered it without asking. I wanted to send it back when I got it becuase the stud is the 03 diameter and probably short too but the cone is a size not available from the factory. The guy I talked to claimed he has an 05 and it fits and they deisgned the custom cone to fit the 03 stud inside and the 05 knuckle outside. The price difference is that the 03 does not come with a cone and the 05 comes with their custom cone they developed. Which is what I would have done myself with my lathe but didn't feel comfortable with the balljoint size difference.

So I pressed it in my spare knuckle but cannot comment if it fits the car. Hopefully they got the outside size of the cone right, the taper angle right to fit in the knuckle correctly, the stud is long enough to get plently of the nut on there, and also that the smaller stud has enough strength to be safe. Obviuosly Nissan made it bigger in 05 and up for a reason! but you don't ever hear of the smaller ones failing.

So there is an option for 05 and hopefully someone that needs it now and has nothing to loose can try it with a review.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:53 PM
Osborn Wu

Originally Posted by bjr
ConceptZPerfornance does and I have one installed in my spare knuckle but I cannot recommend it yet.
My first time I bought something from Autozone and it did not fit. Too short and stud diameter also too small so I could not reuse my cone and their cone was too small for the knuckle. It bottomed out before the cone ever really hit the knuckle. It would not go all the way through the knuckle but it was really small compared to what it needed to be.

So I bought a new OEM knuckle.

Then I notice ConceptZ offered an 03 model and an 05 model that cost much more. I just ordered it without asking. I wanted to send it back when I got it becuase the stud is the 03 diameter and probably short too but the cone is a size not available from the factory. The guy I talked to claimed he has an 05 and it fits and they deisgned the custom cone to fit the 03 stud inside and the 05 knuckle outside. The price difference is that the 03 does not come with a cone and the 05 comes with their custom cone they developed. Which is what I would have done myself with my lathe but didn't feel comfortable with the balljoint size difference.

So I pressed it in my spare knuckle but cannot comment if it fits the car. Hopefully they got the outside size of the cone right, the taper angle right to fit in the knuckle correctly, the stud is long enough to get plently of the nut on there, and also that the smaller stud has enough strength to be safe. Obviuosly Nissan made it bigger in 05 and up for a reason! but you don't ever hear of the smaller ones failing.

So there is an option for 05 and hopefully someone that needs it now and has nothing to loose can try it with a review.
yea i know of the czp ones but i have the same concern as you. they made it bigger for a reason and i'm not going to risk having other problems lurking with a retrofitted older joint.

i'd much prefer something that at least have the same size as the OEM joints :/
Old 03-21-2016, 11:33 AM
canadarob

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

FYI,

I installed the conceptZperformance SPD Front Knuckle Ball Joint two years ago on my dedicated track car. Before install I noticed the grease was subpar and repacked it with good stuff. It has held up through two years of tracking and racing (this includes : wet races and multiple fun trips through the grass)

(this was on my 2004.5)
Old 03-21-2016, 02:15 PM
bjr

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by canadarob
FYI,

I installed the conceptZperformance SPD Front Knuckle Ball Joint two years ago on my dedicated track car. Before install I noticed the grease was subpar and repacked it with good stuff. It has held up through two years of tracking and racing (this includes : wet races and multiple fun trips through the grass)

(this was on my 2004.5)
Hmm. 2004.5. Does that mean you bought the cheaper one and used the factory cone or did you buy the 05+ model with czp custom cone?. Glad it's holding up!
Old 03-22-2016, 11:27 AM
canadarob

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bjr
Hmm. 2004.5. Does that mean you bought the cheaper one and used the factory cone or did you buy the 05+ model with czp custom cone?. Glad it's holding up!

I used the smaller SPD 2003-2004 model as this was what came with my year. This included a brand new cone.

The OEM lasted 4 years of tracking before I had an accident on that side of the car. Since then (2 years) the SPD one is holding up just as well as OEM.
Old 04-28-2016, 04:30 PM
Bak3rme

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

A solution to those who are having trouble pressing out the old ball joints off the knuckle.

one of the biggest issue of getting the ball joint off is finding a perfect sized receiving socket. The ball joint press tool that you can rent at autozone and advance auto parts have receiving sockets but they are a tad bit too small. I found this at autozone and it has a perfect fit for pressing out the old ball joints.

thought it might be helpful!

**Steering knuckle ball joints??**-20160428_183843.jpg

**Steering knuckle ball joints??**-20160428_180050.jpg
The following 2 users liked this post by Bak3rme:
khnitz (04-16-2021), RobPhoboS (04-21-2019)
Old 06-21-2016, 07:37 PM
Osborn Wu

looks like z1 is also selling some ball joints for 05+ now too

Quick Reply: **Steering knuckle ball joints??**