Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

**Steering knuckle ball joints??**

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 11:29 AM
AARONHL

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bjr
Not impossible but time consuming. This is like a 3-4 hour job right?
You're right, it's not hard at all but will be under the car for a while. Then you'll make a stupid mistake and put the brake disc dust shield on the wrong way and have to remove the wheel bearing again. Been there done that
Old 09-23-2014, 05:35 AM
bjr

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I am waiting to hear back from Nissan on a price for a knuckle. The site I use lists two different knuckles that vary by about $70.
What is with all of these variations? Most of this thread assured us that there are none.
Sure hope I get the right knuckle! Anybody have experience with buying a knuckle?????
Old 12-07-2014, 01:38 PM
jes1888

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

myg35 forums has done this with another part #, here's the link

http://g35driver.com/forums/brakes-s...t-boots-4.html
Old 12-17-2014, 05:35 AM
jes1888

ok so my ball joints are shut. I bought a pair on amazon MTC branded for 43.99 on prime. Ball joints came in and they're exactly the same people have been showing here from eBay etc.My problem is that when i compared them with the OEMs on my 2006 Z, they're smaller. Shall i try to force them in to see fitment or what? I was also thinking in buying the energy suspension boot to see how that worked out, but wont do it until I find out what to do with these suckers.

Somebody please chime in!!!
Old 12-17-2014, 07:40 AM
bjr

Originally Posted by jes1888
ok so my ball joints are shut. I bought a pair on amazon MTC branded for 43.99 on prime. Ball joints came in and they're exactly the same people have been showing here from eBay etc.My problem is that when i compared them with the OEMs on my 2006 Z, they're smaller. Shall i try to force them in to see fitment or what? I was also thinking in buying the energy suspension boot to see how that worked out, but wont do it until I find out what to do with these suckers.

Somebody please chime in!!!
It sounds like from your description you are experiencing the same thing I did with a part from Autozone. The bottom case looked like it would fit in the knuckle but the stud was too small. Both the threads were smaller diameter and the stud was shorter - smaller in every way. I checked with Nissan on all the model years to see if a different size seat (the cone shaped piece that will not be able to be transferred from your old part to the wrong part because it will be too big on the inner diameter) was available to make the part work. There is only one size seat available and the part will not work. Plus why would you want to make a part work that is smaller than the original? Probably not 100% safe. It is not the right part. You are probably stuck buying a new steering knuckle from the dealer like I did.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:53 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,046 Likes on 6,512 Posts

i just went through this... bought some off amazon and they were shorter and thinner in diameter ... just like the autozone ones.... good luck finding something i ended up replacing both my steering knuckles and an alignment for $1100. i think in 06-08 they beefed up the front suspension compared to the earlier models and every just assumes the older de ones will work
Old 12-25-2014, 12:13 PM
jes1888

Originally Posted by bjr
It sounds like from your description you are experiencing the same thing I did with a part from Autozone. The bottom case looked like it would fit in the knuckle but the stud was too small. Both the threads were smaller diameter and the stud was shorter - smaller in every way. I checked with Nissan on all the model years to see if a different size seat (the cone shaped piece that will not be able to be transferred from your old part to the wrong part because it will be too big on the inner diameter) was available to make the part work. There is only one size seat available and the part will not work. Plus why would you want to make a part work that is smaller than the original? Probably not 100% safe. It is not the right part. You are probably stuck buying a new steering knuckle from the dealer like I did.
Originally Posted by travlee
i just went through this... bought some off amazon and they were shorter and thinner in diameter ... just like the autozone ones.... good luck finding something i ended up replacing both my steering knuckles and an alignment for $1100. i think in 06-08 they beefed up the front suspension compared to the earlier models and every just assumes the older de ones will work
Well guys, to my surprise, the ones i bought from amazon were from MTC parts, AND THEY BROUGHT THE CONES!!!! I measured them quickly and they fit well, even without pushing the boot all the way down the nut left space to put the pin, It's still thinner and shorter for just a milimeter, I'll try and risk this to see if it works, will let you guys know and will post pictures later too. Happy Holidays!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-09-2015, 01:07 PM
jes1888

Guys, I can say proudly that they worked well. I was able to install them in my 06 without any problems, I would've tried to install the urethane boot but didnt do it for now, but they work well, the only thing you've got to make sure is that the ones that you buy come with the metal cone seat. Will put pictures later with them installed.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:09 PM
donj

Can you send me the link to your joints? On the same fkn boat!

Guys, I can say proudly that they worked well. I was able to install them in my 06 without any problems, I would've tried to install the urethane boot but didnt do it for now, but they work well, the only thing you've got to make sure is that the ones that you buy come with the metal cone seat. Will put pictures later with them installed.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:42 PM
travlee
Master

my buddy with an 04 the auto zone ones worked fine, but on my old HR, they were nowhere near the same... if you have an 07-08 just be cautious
Old 01-19-2015, 07:05 PM
jes1888

Here's the link for the ones i used:

Amazon.com: Nissan 350Z Infinifi G35 Ball Joint Kit - Front Lower Control Arms | Two (2) Pieces | Fits Left and Right: Automotive Amazon.com: Nissan 350Z Infinifi G35 Ball Joint Kit - Front Lower Control Arms | Two (2) Pieces | Fits Left and Right: Automotive

Keep in mind as a disclaimer, there's people on the reviews that say that they didn't came with the seats, neither they appear on the pictures, only thing i know is that mine did, they DO have a difference from my 2006 OEM's, they were shorter and a thinner, but only by a little, i took my chances and until now they working like they're supposed to. I wish everyone good luck if you guys try, but dont come flaming if something goes wrong or doesn't fit properly. Remember to apply more grease on them, because mine came with little.

Last edited by jes1888; 01-19-2015 at 07:12 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:46 AM
travlee
Master

Here's the link for the ones i used:

Amazon.com: Nissan 350Z Infinifi G35 Ball Joint Kit - Front Lower Control Arms | Two (2) Pieces | Fits Left and Right: Automotive

Keep in mind as a disclaimer, there's people on the reviews that say that they didn't came with the seats, neither they appear on the pictures, only thing i know is that mine did, they DO have a difference from my 2006 OEM's, they were shorter and a thinner, but only by a little, i took my chances and until now they working like they're supposed to. I wish everyone good luck if you guys try, but dont come flaming if something goes wrong or doesn't fit properly. Remember to apply more grease on them, because mine came with little.
same ones i bought, and they did not work for the HR
Old 02-18-2015, 04:28 AM
R3belzBRN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey there.

A mechanic installed the ebay ball joint together with complete energy front bushing few weeks ago. Right after the installation, i heard a clunking\knocking sound whenever i turn the sterring wheel. We double chcked everything and he identify that the noise comes from one of the ball joint. Do u think i got a faulty ball joint or issit because of installation error by him? And guess what, starting from Yesterday i can hear the same noise from the other side too.. Any suggestion on what to double check?

Thanks in advance
Old 02-23-2015, 02:25 PM
AARONHL

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So over the past few weeks I've noticed a squeaking noise from my right front wheel when I turn the steering wheel at low speeds. It sounds like a creaking, rusty door hinge. I am thinking it is coming from the ball joint because that's where the noise comes from when I drove the car on ramps to diagnose. Just wondering if you guys have any thoughts about what it is? By the way, I have eBay ball joints on my car for about 2 years now.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:58 AM
jes1888

Originally Posted by R3belzBRN
Hey there.

A mechanic installed the ebay ball joint together with complete energy front bushing few weeks ago. Right after the installation, i heard a clunking\knocking sound whenever i turn the sterring wheel. We double chcked everything and he identify that the noise comes from one of the ball joint. Do u think i got a faulty ball joint or issit because of installation error by him? And guess what, starting from Yesterday i can hear the same noise from the other side too.. Any suggestion on what to double check?

Thanks in advance
Try to see if you can get a refund or replacement. Keep in mind when installing you can't hit them with a hammer or anything, just fyi

Originally Posted by AARONHL
So over the past few weeks I've noticed a squeaking noise from my right front wheel when I turn the steering wheel at low speeds. It sounds like a creaking, rusty door hinge. I am thinking it is coming from the ball joint because that's where the noise comes from when I drove the car on ramps to diagnose. Just wondering if you guys have any thoughts about what it is? By the way, I have eBay ball joints on my car for about 2 years now.
Time to replace 'em! Good luck
Old 03-28-2015, 05:43 PM
Lug

I changed both my front lower ball joints today with Duralast ball joints (pn# BJL148). Install took a few hours from start to finish for both sides. Driving the car afterwards the car felt very solid and smooth. So far I'm happy with the Duralast Ball joints.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:45 PM
travlee
Master

Originally Posted by Lug
I changed both my front lower ball joints today with Duralast ball joints (pn# BJL148). Install took a few hours from start to finish for both sides. Driving the car afterwards the car felt very solid and smooth. So far I'm happy with the Duralast Ball joints.
but do you have a de or hr...... different beasts
Old 03-28-2015, 05:51 PM
Lug

I have a 2003 DE.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:54 PM
travlee
Master

they won't fit an hr, glad they worked for you
Old 03-28-2015, 06:31 PM
bjr

Originally Posted by travlee
they won't fit an hr, glad they worked for you
I think there may be something beyond just de vs. hr. The duralast were too small for my 2005 too...

Quick Reply: **Steering knuckle ball joints??**