Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

**Steering knuckle ball joints??**

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 03:16 PM
Zenpato

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default **Steering knuckle ball joints??**

Has anyone replaced their steering knuckle ball joints?
I'm having a hard time finding one. All I can find is the knuckle assembly.
The dealership said they only sell them with the whole assembly , which makes no sense if the assembly is fine and just the joint needs replacing.
Name:  balljoint.jpg
Views: 7715
Size:  75.2 KB
Old 07-30-2009, 04:36 PM
vthao

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dealerships are like that. I remember working on an old customer's car (Lexus). He only needed one bushing that couldn't be found anywhere but the dealership. Problem is, he had to buy the complete lower control arm just for that one bushing. Stupid isn't it?
Old 07-30-2009, 06:26 PM
gregom

Yeah I had to replace mine on the right side due to a wreck... ended up replacing the whole knuckle. Couldn't find anyone who selled aftermarket balljoints that would fit.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:28 PM
Candy_man

From looking on Courtesy Parts it looks like they do not sell that separately. That really sucks.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/350z-pa...5_800_801.html
Old 07-30-2009, 07:47 PM
Zenpato

Yeah I've found a ton for the Tranverse Link and compression rod but no steering knuckle.
It's sad that we would have to be forced into buying a whole new assembly.
Guess I might have to bite the bullet then. I'm at just below 60K so if any of u guys are there might want to check yours out.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:43 PM
gregom

If the balljoint itself is still fine and there is no damage you could just rip off the rubber boot, remove the grease and repack new grease in and put a new boot on... maybe. Haven't tried but i'm sure with enough inclination it could be done.

Is there any particular reason you are wanting to replace it? It looks fine from the pic, is your ride just mushy and soft?

BTW if you do replace the entire knuckle make sure to order a new balljoint / lower control arm seat or take the one off your existing steering knuckle. It is pressed on so it will require a lot of pressure to get it off. I used a vice to get mine off... You have to buy the part separately if you want a new one, it doesn't come with the steering knuckle.

And how the hell did you get two avatars?

Last edited by gregom; 07-31-2009 at 03:47 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:30 PM
Zenpato

Originally Posted by gregom
If the balljoint itself is still fine and there is no damage you could just rip off the rubber boot, remove the grease and repack new grease in and put a new boot on... maybe. Haven't tried but i'm sure with enough inclination it could be done.

Is there any particular reason you are wanting to replace it? It looks fine from the pic, is your ride just mushy and soft?

BTW if you do replace the entire knuckle make sure to order a new balljoint / lower control arm seat or take the one off your existing steering knuckle. It is pressed on so it will require a lot of pressure to get it off. I used a vice to get mine off... You have to buy the part separately if you want a new one, it doesn't come with the steering knuckle.

And how the hell did you get two avatars?
Yeah in the pic it looks fine but it does have a crack and some of the grease has come out. It's not bad ..YET just don't like rushing around when it finally fails. Where would I even find a new boot? None of the websites have come up with anything close to that? If I do get the whole knuckle I will def upgrade the Tranverse link bushings while I'm at it and figured I needed a new seat. thanks for verifiying that for me. ( why should it be easy ?) Two avatars???
Old 08-02-2009, 06:26 PM
gregom

I have no idea about the new boot, it looks like a standard size so you might be able to get one at a autoparts store.

And for some reason when I replied last time you had two avatars! It's normal now though... some sort of glitch.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:19 PM
chrisjersey06

My steering knuckle ball joint boot ripped this past spring due to driving over a twig in the road. I replaced the entire steering knuckle with the ball joint in it, its a pretty straight forward job. Contact Jim at Turbo Toys, he always has them in stock.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:41 PM
Zenpato

update: since I refuse to pay $200+( I'm cheap ..lol) for the whole new sterring knuckle I think I have found an alternative . I found an older nissan model ( 300zx) ball jont and a rebuild kit . I think I'm going to give it a shot before I finally break down and purchase the steering knuckle. I'll keep everyone updated.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:09 PM
gregom

Cool thanks for updating us... I hope to hear of the final result. Is the 300ZX ball joint the same as the 350Z's? If so can't you just buy a rebuild kit and use it on the 350?
Old 09-03-2009, 10:39 PM
Zenpato

Originally Posted by gregom
Cool thanks for updating us... I hope to hear of the final result. Is the 300ZX ball joint the same as the 350Z's? If so can't you just buy a rebuild kit and use it on the 350?
That's what I'm hoping for , the pictures look very similar . I'm getting the rebuild kit and the new 300zx ball joint, hopefully there is something I can use from either or. I just need to locate a used steering knuckle from the junk yard to experiment on. I would use the one on my car but it's also my DD.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:33 PM
striker27

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All I know is I get a clunking sound from the front of my car every now and then and I am leaking a bit of power steering fluid. Maybe I should get under it and take a look!!!!
Old 09-04-2009, 02:18 PM
gregom

Well GL man... I dunno about your area but in mine, there are no newer cars at junk yards. I've called around to all kinds of shops and no one has anything 350Z related that was salvaged. It might be too new a car. I dunno where all the wrecked 350Z's go, maybe to some exotic and luxury salvage wrecker or something.

striker27, you should probably start a new thread for this. But where abouts is the fluid leaking? Left side of car, middle, right? Do you get clunking sounds when turning the steering wheel? Particularly when changing direction from left to right and right to left?
Old 09-04-2009, 04:15 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I upgraded mine when the stock ones failed

http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?m...ng&prodid=3417

it makes sense that it's only sold as an assembly - because that is how Nissan buys them from whomever makes the part for them. Inconvenient to say the least, but thankfully the aftermarket is there to pick up the slack. I realize these aren't cheap, but its a helluva lot easier than replacing a whole knuckle

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 09-04-2009 at 04:23 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:45 AM
whitebwoy

Originally Posted by Zenpato
That's what I'm hoping for , the pictures look very similar . I'm getting the rebuild kit and the new 300zx ball joint, hopefully there is something I can use from either or. I just need to locate a used steering knuckle from the junk yard to experiment on. I would use the one on my car but it's also my DD.

How did this project turn out?

I've the same problem on both of mine. I had previously broken one, and screwed up another, I think my 20" rims are giving them a warm time.

In any case, I don't feel like spending $35k each (us$400) again to replace them.
I could never understand why Nissan was forcing me to buy back the whole damn assembly for one small default.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:43 PM
gelochi

yep! caught it, i have the same problem bro. im ordered a knuckle right now then!
Old 10-15-2009, 08:12 AM
aloh

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
I upgraded mine when the stock ones failed

http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?m...ng&prodid=3417

it makes sense that it's only sold as an assembly - because that is how Nissan buys them from whomever makes the part for them. Inconvenient to say the least, but thankfully the aftermarket is there to pick up the slack. I realize these aren't cheap, but its a helluva lot easier than replacing a whole knuckle
holy SH-T those things are expensive
Old 10-17-2009, 08:11 PM
gregom

Ya what happened Zenpato? The 300ZX parts work?
Old 10-18-2009, 10:05 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Just measure the boot and http://www.energysuspension.com/prod...int-Boots.html pay your $15 then spend 45 minutes swapping it out.

Quick Reply: **Steering knuckle ball joints??**