Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Alliance 8 Pot/15" BBK just installed--first impression and pics enclosed

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 07:31 PM
fiveninerzero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alliance 8 Pot/15" BBK just installed--first impression and pics enclosed

Alright guys. $3990 later. I've pretty much been lurking here for two years. A while back, a certain BBK caught my eye: https://my350z.com/forum/brakes/4395...ice-in-ad.html

I've been saving ever since, and now I have realized my dream; being able to purchase a big brake kit. Actually, I believe this should qualify as a HUGE brake kit.

I selected the 380mm 8 piston fronts and 355mm 6 piston rears, the rears being a big brake kit in itself that probably would work very well on the front brakes, but I decided to go all the way big or just go home.

I would rate my experience ordering as a 3/5. I first expressed my interest to Mike at Blackline on 3 May, and we exchanged a few PMs, followed by him emailing me a form that I needed to fill out. It took a couple of tries to get payment instructions from him. Not a huge deal, however, our orders were placed to the company about 2-3 days later than promised.

After about a month of patient waiting, I received an email stating that my order will be delayed past the promised 1-month production period. I had to ask for a tracking number, which was promptly provided.

Shipping was via FedEx Ground/Home Delivery from NC. Upon receiving my boxes (70 pounds a piece), I carefully inspected the contents. I was pretty satisfied, judging the finish of the components 4/5 due to some minor shipping nicks and scratches, once again, no big deal since only a small part of the calipers are visible at any given time.

One detail I immediately noticed and was taken aback by was the lack of any instructions, part diagrams, or even a mere packing list showing what part is which. It's been a while since I took that technical writing class in college, but I do at least recall the need to include basic documentation with any product.

I did notice that Mike wrote a personal message on the back of the included GP stainless lines, which I wasn't even expecting, but was very welcome, as I had forgotten to purchase some. I would hate to have had to put some rubber lines back on the car. If only he included the RBF 600 which I had forgotten to order beforehand, we would be all set!

On to the install. I'm not a car guy, I'm actually a motorcycle roadracer that likes to go fast in whatever I happen to be driving, so I would say that this is the first time that I have really had to deal with the brake system in a car.

It did take me longer than it should have, and the lack of documentation did not help. Sure, I understand that this company is new, and this product is new, but I spent an extra couple of hours being careful and trying all possible ways to orient the brackets in order to make sure that I am attaching everything correctly, as on aftermarket parts, installation is not always the reverse of removal of the stock part.

Some notes that I think would be helpful to include in documentation for future kits:

-kit requires trimming or removal of dust shields (can be removed by 4 bolts holding the hub on, or can be trimmed with $3 tin snips from harbor freight tools)
-instructions on how to bleed with dual bleeder screws
-diagram of all included parts and bolts
-diagram of how to line up caliper bracket
-left and right direction marks on calipers (wasted 30 minutes reversing all my calipers once I realized they were upside down)
-brake pad mounting diagram
-note with names and part numbers of compatible brake pads (kit came with rspec sport pads)

Anyways, I figured it out on my own and surprisingly, everything fit well and did not require banging and grinding, etc. like other fabbed aftermarket kits I have experienced in the past.

Fitment: I have Axis Shines in 20x9.0F +15 and 20x10R +20. The advertisement thread states that you need at least 19s, but IMO it's more about the offsets and spoke pattern than the diameter of the rim. I have about 5mm clearance on top of the fronts, a thick wheel weight would rub, but my spokes are not a factor, and the rears are not a factor at all.

Lastly, bleeding went without a hitch. Did it the old fashioned way with my sister.

Overall I'll give the whole experience 3.5/5, perhaps they will include more documentation the next group order around that score will bump up. I recommend the kit.

I usually don't stoop to pictures this horrible, but I just got done installing and was fighting the light with my point and shoot. I just wanted to get you guys something visual. I apologize in advance, I have written DIYs for other forums, but didn't have time to with this one due to a trip I have coming up and wanting to get the BBK mounted ASAP.

I will update with driving characteristics and better pictures and lighting with my DSLR once I drive it and get a chance.

Thanks

Old 07-02-2010, 07:37 PM
ReelBigAndy

looks dope
Old 07-02-2010, 07:39 PM
AdvanZ33
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 189 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by fiveninerzero
Did it the old fashioned way with my sister.
Nice.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:50 PM
ChinaClipper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great.... but the rotor slots are "spinning" in different directions front-to-back?
Old 07-02-2010, 08:51 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Holy crap... I'd never get those behind my 18's
Old 07-02-2010, 09:39 PM
Xzero

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ChinaClipper
Looks great.... but the rotor slots are "spinning" in different directions front-to-back?
Yup, he has the rear rotors backwards.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:49 AM
abushong504

Bump. Good little write-up
Old 07-03-2010, 12:51 AM
seekanddestroy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He actually has the front rotors backwards.

Lastly, bleeding went without a hitch. Did it the old fashioned way with my sister.
Sorry but

Last edited by seekanddestroy; 07-03-2010 at 12:53 AM.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:49 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i'd be cautious to claim that his rotors are the wrong direction, you don't know unless you know the direction of the internal vanes that flow air toward the center of the rotor.. that determines direction, not which way the grooves are cut on the surface.

but one side is definitely backward.. either the front or the rears.. common rookie mistake, thats ok. just takes time to flip. props for DIY...

+1 on lulz for:

Originally Posted by fiveninerzero
Did it the old fashioned way with my sister.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:17 AM
duro78

For $4k any nicks or scratches wouldnt be tolerated even if they are brakes. No offense but i would upgrade your wheels, the shines just dont it for such a nice bbk
Old 07-03-2010, 08:27 AM
OCMan

the front is definitely backward.

instead of spending 4k on bbk alone, I'd spend money getting to volks and used nismo brake kit.

BTW, nver heard of Alliance before.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:42 AM
seekanddestroy

So Cheston got me thinking...I was assuming (key word here) that based on all the photos in the Alliance thread that the rotors turned with the leading edge on the vanes forward (see OP's rear setup). Upon inspecting the rotors in person I have found that indeed it is the opposite.

As I write this I'm noticing a pattern. It looks to me based on the pictures that cross drilled/slotted Alliance rotors have the leading edge backwards and the slotted only have the leading edge forward??? Thanks Cheston it pays to really know what your talking about. But I believe I'm still right OPs fronts are backwards. Wheres Mike???
Old 07-03-2010, 09:01 AM
GeauxLadyZ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by seekanddestroy
He actually has the front rotors backwards.
+1 i believe the fronts are backwards, but dont quote me on that.

OP, Missionary with sister?
Old 07-03-2010, 11:01 AM
C-unit

How well do these hold up in track days? The price seems ridiculously cheap for some 8pot/380mm and 6pot 360mm.

Is there any a/m pads available for it? It would be a cheaper alternative aside from brembo/endless/project mu set up.

Last edited by C-unit; 07-03-2010 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-03-2010, 02:13 PM
Mike@Blackline
Banned

hey guys, took a quick picture with my cell of a rotor that i have in my garage.
this picture shows which way the rotor would be if it is on the left side of the car:
Attached Thumbnails Alliance 8 Pot/15" BBK just installed--first impression and pics enclosed-rotordr.jpg  

Last edited by Mike@Blackline; 07-05-2010 at 10:34 AM.
Old 07-03-2010, 04:23 PM
seekanddestroy

So then whats up with these??

Old 07-03-2010, 04:29 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 07-03-2010, 04:52 PM
SQBassHead

Old 07-03-2010, 05:41 PM
davidc81

wtf?!?
Old 07-03-2010, 06:35 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cheston is spot on..the outer curve of the rotor has 0 to do with it being correct or incorrect, it is all about the internal pillar design

Quick Reply: Alliance 8 Pot/15" BBK just installed--first impression and pics enclosed