Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

SPL compression arm bushing noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 02:27 PM
ALO8

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you guys spray white lithium grease on the spacers? OR LUBE the bushing? just wondering if that would take noise away for a while
Old 07-25-2012, 02:55 PM
Neimad

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is no noise, just a myth. Occasionally they groan when theres dust, i hose it off.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:07 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by xxxlino
do you guys spray white lithium grease on the spacers? OR LUBE the bushing? just wondering if that would take noise away for a while
I put nothing on mine
Old 09-27-2012, 06:53 PM
bullionz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so I've had them for a year and change now, and the clunking is starting to get really tired, and more pronounced.

Wondering if I can add beefier O rings, or get the cones machined. Maybe just contact SPL for machined cones, and new O rings?

Wish I had known at the time of purchase that machined cones was an option. It should be a recommendation in bold on their site for lowered cars.

Sigh...wth.

Not hugely overjoyed at having to tear it all apart again for some stealth, but I can't see using any other style of compression rod bushing.

clunk, clunk, clank goes the Z

Last edited by bullionz; 09-27-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:07 PM
freddys 350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this might be a weird ideal. but what about putting two springs between the arms and brace/unibody(one on each side). the springs will keep enough tension so the arm wont clank around, yet wont hinder the movement of the bearing it self that much.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:44 PM
bullionz

Originally Posted by freddys 350z
this might be a weird ideal. but what about putting two springs between the arms and brace/unibody(one on each side). the springs will keep enough tension so the arm wont clank around, yet wont hinder the movement of the bearing it self that much.
I was actually tossing this idea around with bungee cords...yes I'm getting that desperate...LOL.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:55 PM
Row2K

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by bullionz
Ok so I've had them for a year and change now, and the clunking is starting to get really tired, and more pronounced.

Wondering if I can add beefier O rings, or get the cones machined. Maybe just contact SPL for machined cones, and new O rings?

Wish I had known at the time of purchase that machined cones was an option. It should be a recommendation in bold on their site for lowered cars.

Sigh...wth.

Not hugely overjoyed at having to tear it all apart again for some stealth, but I can't see using any other style of compression rod bushing.

clunk, clunk, clank goes the Z
Been there and know exactly how you feel. Unfortunately I don't think you will see a difference. I've taken my arms apart more times that I can count to try and remedy the issue and during one of those attempts went from no o-rings to the o-rings sent to me by SPL with no real difference in clunking...it persisted no matter what I did short of machining the cones.

Now here's the important bit; once I got fed up with it and removed the bushings altogether I noticed one profound issue and that was play in the bushing itself (passenger side much more so). These do wear and/or pound out and much more so than SPL is willing to admit or being genuine about mentioning. The exact same thing happened on my SPL rear knuckle bushings which were clunking intensely on every single bump and bruise in the road by the time I removed them.

The biggest issue here is I'm pretty sure SPL knows, but certainly don't advertise the issue ....a simple heads up would be nice..."hey everyone these will make a ***-load of noise pretty damn soon so if you wanna use these on the street watch out"...would be nice SPL...would be nice
Old 09-28-2012, 06:46 AM
2fasst

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree 100%. EXPOSED JOINTS/BEARINGS/KNUCKLES WILL WEAR! No matter what they claim. Even sealed/lubed ones wear out. The fact that SPL bearings/joints are exposed to the elements of sand,dirt,moisture just exponentially wear them out much, much faster!!!!

My SPL A-ARM joints are squeaking again after about 15K miles!!!! In addition to this the SPL compression bushings clunking.

This gets old real quick on a street car!!!!!!!

Don't buy SPL if it's for a street car!

Last edited by 2fasst; 09-28-2012 at 07:10 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:17 AM
lovie_350z

Yeah im hoping to press mines out today. Only had them in for a week lol. The car feels good but people looking like whats wrong with your car haha.

I expected some noise but these are killing me. Whats crazy is my lower control arm inner bushing were blown so i installed the Whitelines and decided that i mess well replace the compression arm bushings, just to find out my oem compression bushings weren't in to bad of shape after 85,000 miles and my caster was in spec. Car has been Lowered around 1.4 inches for the whole 85,000 miles .
Old 09-28-2012, 07:46 AM
ALO8

wow i dont have any noise from my upper arms and compression rod. maybe down the line i will find out what noises you guys are whining about and i will eat my words
Old 09-28-2012, 09:40 AM
Row2K

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fasst
I agree 100%. EXPOSED JOINTS/BEARINGS/KNUCKLES WILL WEAR! No matter what they claim. Even sealed/lubed ones wear out. The fact that SPL bearings/joints are exposed to the elements of sand,dirt,moisture just exponentially wear them out much, much faster!!!!

My SPL A-ARM joints are squeaking again after about 15K miles!!!! In addition to this the SPL compression bushings clunking.

This gets old real quick on a street car!!!!!!!

Don't buy SPL if it's for a street car!
That's actually very interesting to hear as what you did there is confirmed my a suspicion about SPL upper a-arms. I'm using cusco upper A arms and after some 70-80k miles on them, they are still pretty much perfect, no noise, no issues, I've recently started adjusting them regularly when doing track days and love it. They do however have boots on both the bushings and the ball join....huge difference.

Originally Posted by xxxlino
wow i dont have any noise from my upper arms and compression rod. maybe down the line i will find out what noises you guys are whining about and i will eat my words
I really hope you won't run into this issue...but all things considered I suspect its only a matter of time and mileage.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:33 PM
bullionz

Originally Posted by Row2K
Been there and know exactly how you feel. Unfortunately I don't think you will see a difference. I've taken my arms apart more times that I can count to try and remedy the issue and during one of those attempts went from no o-rings to the o-rings sent to me by SPL with no real difference in clunking...it persisted no matter what I did short of machining the cones.

Now here's the important bit; once I got fed up with it and removed the bushings altogether I noticed one profound issue and that was play in the bushing itself (passenger side much more so). These do wear and/or pound out and much more so than SPL is willing to admit or being genuine about mentioning. The exact same thing happened on my SPL rear knuckle bushings which were clunking intensely on every single bump and bruise in the road by the time I removed them.

The biggest issue here is I'm pretty sure SPL knows, but certainly don't advertise the issue ....a simple heads up would be nice..."hey everyone these will make a ***-load of noise pretty damn soon so if you wanna use these on the street watch out"...would be nice SPL...would be nice
LOL yeah, I'm slowly coming to the same conclusion. SPL suggested I add another set of O rings to each side, but I'm wondering how long that lasts before they squish, and I have to tear it all apart again....a matter of months is my guess.

I currently have the Tein S tech springs which only lower 0.6"/0.7" or something like that, so maybe I could just press in a pair of Whiteline poly bushings and be done with it?...ehhh I dunno how that's going to work out.

A "set it and forget it, and not have to hear it go bang, bang, clank" option would be nice...for a couple years at least anyways.

Last edited by bullionz; 09-30-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:08 PM
timmywhatsup

Is it possible the clunking is caused by worn compression rod ball joints? Maybe adding the free articulation of the spl bushings is exposing this to those who did not have noises prior? I just bought another z and have clunking coming from my front passenger side, and it only happens over slow speed rigid bumps. I'm hoping to enter local time attack competition, so I've just decided to replace all the compression rod and transverse link bushings. The last ones I need to order are the compression rod bushings and was planning on going SPL. Also when I called around my local shops, a very reputable shop that works on a ton of Z's advised me that when the compression rod is clunking, it is most often if not always a worn ball joint which means the entire compression rod needs to be replaced. Aside from visually inspecting, How do you diagnose a bad ball joint? They said you will not be able to tell a ball joint is bad by yanking in the arm by hand. I'm pretty sure my rod bushing is done as my caster seems far off. When letting go of the steering wheel it doesn't centre as it should. It requires a little help.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:30 AM
lafingas

dang....guess i should just replace all my front bushings with OEM then? Sounds like SPL, Whiteline, and ES all have noise issues.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:12 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by lafingas
dang....guess i should just replace all my front bushings with OEM then? Sounds like SPL, Whiteline, and ES all have noise issues.
Not really an issue
Old 12-19-2012, 06:47 PM
lafingas

suspension squeaking and clunking isnt an issue???? puahahaha
Old 12-19-2012, 08:34 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by lafingas
suspension squeaking and clunking isnt an issue???? puahahaha
Has no effect on the it. Minor noise, nothing compared to an aftermarket exhaust. Mine has full SPL bushings, hardly ever makes any squeeks or clunks

I installed the full Whiteline set in the front of my mothers G35, no complaints from her.

Last edited by terrasmak; 12-19-2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:10 AM
Chi-TownWarrior

How many people with these bushings have stock endlinks on a lowered car get noise?

How many people with these bushings have aftermarket endlinks that are set up properly get noise?

How many people with these bushings have aftermarket endlinks that are not sure if their endlinks are set up properly get noise?

I think the endlinks have something to do with this as I have no noise with these and I have SPL endlinks. The only noise I get is what I suspect are my swaybar bushings

Last edited by Chi-TownWarrior; 12-23-2012 at 06:11 AM.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:38 AM
ian99rt

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Chi-TownWarrior
How many people with these bushings have stock endlinks on a lowered car get noise?

How many people with these bushings have aftermarket endlinks that are set up properly get noise?

How many people with these bushings have aftermarket endlinks that are not sure if their endlinks are set up properly get noise?

I think the endlinks have something to do with this as I have no noise with these and I have SPL endlinks. The only noise I get is what I suspect are my swaybar bushings
SPL Compression Bushings and Powergrid Endlinks adjusted correctly.

No noise what so ever.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:26 AM
350Zdj

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any good link / reference on how to setup endlinks properly?
thanks.

Quick Reply: SPL compression arm bushing noise