Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Bad ABS control module?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 06:40 AM
QTB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bad ABS control module?

I've been having issues for a while with my ABS but do to work, etc I'm just getting around to really hunting down the issue.

symptoms:
-ABS and TCS lights are on.
-ABS controller module makes noise after the car is turned off. Sounds like a pump is running, it will run the battery down as well.
-Since this issue I've noticed a large amount of rear brake bias.
-I've also noticed fluctuations in the speedo readings, for example it will be reading 15mph when I'm going much faster, then suddenly it will jump up to the proper reading.

Thoughts? I'm still thinking it's the ABS module but I'm really hoping for a bad wheel speed sensor, but I don't think that explains the pump running after the car is turned off. I 'think' there is a solenoid in the module that is sticking. This sounds a little odd but if I tap on it with a soft mallet or something similar occationally the pump will stop running.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:20 AM
halfrice

sounds like a bad abs pump, dont have tcs in my car, but my abs light was on, pump stayed on after car was turned off, didnt notice any change in brake bias or fluctuations of speedo readings, those could be related or not. but main symptom was #2 dealer wanted about $1200 to fix, i bought the pump and installed myself for about ~$400. From what ive heard these pumps are year specific so make sure you get the right one, some people are lucky and have found used ones at local junk yards.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:08 PM
QTB

Originally Posted by halfrice
sounds like a bad abs pump, dont have tcs in my car, but my abs light was on, pump stayed on after car was turned off, didnt notice any change in brake bias or fluctuations of speedo readings, those could be related or not. but main symptom was #2 dealer wanted about $1200 to fix, i bought the pump and installed myself for about ~$400. From what ive heard these pumps are year specific so make sure you get the right one, some people are lucky and have found used ones at local junk yards.
By pump I'm assuming you mean this guy:
Old 04-20-2011, 05:57 PM
halfrice

yup, really simple job cant believe dealer wanted $500 in labor to do, 2 bolts holding it in, 6 lines, and bleed the brakes, the pump itself was a 20min job, bleeding took longer.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:49 PM
heathc84

Hey did you have to get the exact same pump as far as part # or are there other part #'s that will work? For example the dealership told me I need a new abs control for my car they want 1600 for the fix, ive seen these on ebay for around 200 bucks but the part number they said i need is 47660 cd 067 but i was thinking if i found one out of an 04 350Z with out vdc and with TC that it would work..... What fo you guys think? Thanks.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:00 PM
QTB

Originally Posted by heathc84
Hey did you have to get the exact same pump as far as part # or are there other part #'s that will work? For example the dealership told me I need a new abs control for my car they want 1600 for the fix, ive seen these on ebay for around 200 bucks but the part number they said i need is 47660 cd 067 but i was thinking if i found one out of an 04 350Z with out vdc and with TC that it would work..... What fo you guys think? Thanks.
I got the exact part number but I bought it used for something like 175 bucks. Works great! I"m not sure what the differences are between the different PNs but given how picky our ABS can be you may want to shop around.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:52 PM
Fixxxercask

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am now having this issue with my car. I am planning on doing what you did and I sure hope it fixes it. My car is track only. It has been sitting since mid May since it has been driven or started. The battery died because I accidentally left the map light on. I put the battery on a tender on trickle charge and left the house for a bit. When I came back the ABS module was running and it was hotter then sh*t. Not sure how long it was running, but I can not get it to stop unless I disconnect the battery or pull the ABS fuse.

What caused your guys to start doing it?
Old 06-27-2011, 06:00 AM
QTB

Originally Posted by Fixxxercask
I am now having this issue with my car. I am planning on doing what you did and I sure hope it fixes it. My car is track only. It has been sitting since mid May since it has been driven or started. The battery died because I accidentally left the map light on. I put the battery on a tender on trickle charge and left the house for a bit. When I came back the ABS module was running and it was hotter then sh*t. Not sure how long it was running, but I can not get it to stop unless I disconnect the battery or pull the ABS fuse.

What caused your guys to start doing it?
When mine was doing this I would just disconnect the ABS module. There is a harness end that attaches to the module. If you pop that off it will stop it from running, it will also disable the ABS and speedo.

However, as an update, the issue with the pump has not came back but my ABS light returned the other day coming home from a track day. So I'm thinking this stems deeper. I'm still seeing the speedo fluctuate a little occasionally so I'm still thinking ABS wheel speed sensor. Grrr.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:37 PM
Fixxxercask

What caused the ABS module to start acting up though? Did it just start out of the blue?
Old 06-27-2011, 12:46 PM
QTB

Originally Posted by Fixxxercask
What caused the ABS module to start acting up though? Did it just start out of the blue?
More or less out of the blue. I had done several lapping days and one day coming home from the track it came on. Been fighting it ever since.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:29 PM
Acidhex

<ninja edit> nevermind... lols

Last edited by Acidhex; 07-09-2011 at 04:30 PM. Reason: ninja edit
Old 07-23-2012, 12:55 PM
mistico

Bumping up and old thread.

My 06 MT base is having this problem.

-ABS pump keeps running after I shut car down, have to disconnect battery.
-ABS/brake light on
-Speedo doesn't read at all.
-Power steering "cuts off" at times.

This just happened on the way to work today, car is completely stock with the exception of Quaife LSD(has been on for 5 years) and sway bars. I'm going to get underneath later today and check the sensors but would like to get a head start with suggestions. Checked all fluids and pads have enough meat on them.

Thanks!!
Old 07-23-2012, 01:00 PM
QTB

Mine was a two part problem. My ABS control module was bad which caused the pump to run after the car was shut off. The second part with my speedo was the passenger side axel was slipping out of the diff just enough to cause the sensor to not read properly. The PCM would eventually pop an error code and read just a single sensor.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:49 PM
mistico

Thanks for the reply.
Old 03-02-2016, 02:37 PM
SE5spd

bumping an older thread. I have to install a new ABS pump/module on my track car. For anyone whos done this, is there any special directions I need to follow when bleeding the brakes or do I pop the unit on and bleed the brakes like I'd normally bleed?
Old 03-03-2016, 11:42 AM
Fixxxercask

I just popped mine in and bled the brakes. However I don't think that is the 100% correct way to do it. I think to properly bleed the module to get all the air out you have to have the dealership hook some tool to it that operates the pump. You might be able to do it in Uprev, but not sure.

I know a lot of Corvette guys that have had to replace theirs and they had to use some tool that the dealerships have to operate the pump and push fluid through it.

Or you could just go 100mph and slam on your brakes to activate the hell out of it. That would get the fluid/air through...

Last edited by Fixxxercask; 03-03-2016 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:36 PM
rawlz

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sina, where did you find an abs? I am having this same issue and might need to source one.

Anyone actually find out what the route cause of this issue is, as I feel its an electrical issue/grounding.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:19 AM
Kaykayy

I'm having the ABS light problem also it was only on and off randomly then had my pads changed and it was stuck on. Took my car to the mechanic today and he said it was my abs pump does anyone know how much and if I can change it myself ?
Old 05-09-2022, 01:08 PM
melnychukroman

[QUOTE=QTB;9151835]Я отримав точний номер деталі, але купив його у використанні приблизно за 175 доларів. Чудово працює! Я не впевнений, яка різниця між різними PN, але з огляду на те, наскільки вибагливим може бути наш ABS, вам, можливо, захочеться подивитись.[/QUOTE
]
A really reconditioned ABS module is not a bad solution.
Since a new one costs a lot.
For example remanufactured 0265800534 Toyota CAMRY ABS Pump Control Module costs much less than new and works the same way