Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Performance Friction rotor install.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 09:05 PM
Alexl08

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance Friction rotor install.

So Im in the process of getting my PFC BBK for next season. For the mean while what rules allow me to have is a rotor and pad setup. So here are a couple goodies of what Ive installed.

In this picture you can see the brembos uneven pressure distribution has worn the inboard side of the disc more then the out board side.

Lost 5lbs of unsprung weight per corner

Old Pads vs new race pads.

If you dont care about Pad click remove this bugger. You dont have them in the rear so you already have some click so why not. These do no good but stop noise. But they make your pads wear en evenly and create drag.

And Installed

Caliper Temp stickers previously installed and the 250 mark is burnt off lolz oops. SRF fluid helps this out.

Last edited by Alexl08; 04-21-2011 at 09:06 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:51 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

How much did this cost you and why did you choose this specific brand for rotors and pads instead of others?
Old 04-22-2011, 12:50 AM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't understand how the clip causes the uneven wear on the rotor. Seems like knock-back force would be more than enough to move the pads with them in place.

Are the pads also worn unevenly? Was the condition of the rotors and pads the same for both sides of the car?

It's kinda disappointing that the four-piston fixed-caliper setup had uneven rotor wear. Did you inspect the caliper parts to see if everything is working as it should be?
Old 04-22-2011, 08:27 AM
Voboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero
How much did this cost you and why did you choose this specific brand for rotors and pads instead of others?
This is just my guess but:
PF is a reputable brand and one of the few that offer 2 piece rotors for OEM Brembo. 2 piece = weight savings.

OP rotors are sweet.... helped a friend install these on his EVO.. construction is top notch.

on another note, i've been running without the clips in the rear on oem brembos and went to the track without them. They held up fine with the exception of the noise when going over bumps. I actually went and bought the clips last week to resolve the noise. I knew I didn't need it but oh well.

Last edited by Voboy; 04-22-2011 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:45 PM
Alexl08

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero
$440 a rotor and $250 for front pads and $190 for rear pads. I choose PFC because ive always used them and love them. I run them on my evo as well.

Originally Posted by winchman
I don't understand how the clip causes the uneven wear on the rotor. Seems like knock-back force would be more than enough to move the pads with them in place.

Are the pads also worn unevenly? Was the condition of the rotors and pads the same for both sides of the car?

It's kinda disappointing that the four-piston fixed-caliper setup had uneven rotor wear. Did you inspect the caliper parts to see if everything is working as it should be?
Yeah calipers are great. The car has 60k for any one who wants to know. SRF fluid as well. The clip holds a force against the pad to stop pad click but also dosnt allow free movement. Thus it can get wedged and keep one pad from wearing unevenly.

Originally Posted by Voboy
This is just my guess but:
PF is a reputable brand and one of the few that offer 2 piece rotors for OEM Brembo. 2 piece = weight savings.

OP rotors are sweet.... helped a friend install these on his EVO.. construction is top notch.

on another note, i've been running without the clips in the rear on oem brembos and went to the track without them. They held up fine with the exception of the noise when going over bumps. I actually went and bought the clips last week to resolve the noise. I knew I didn't need it but oh well.
Weight savings was not my only concern. But to increase my thermal capacities as well, Of course tracking a car and also race pads raise heat so a direction vent rotor helps as well as the dimpled design to degass the pad, also the dimpled design does not give you stress points like drilled but still achieves the same effects by degassing