Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Eibach Sportlines Drop!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 10:53 AM
(ZzzzzZ)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eibach Sportlines Drop!

Hello,

Sorry for another sportline drop thread, but im deciding between coils and the sportlines. I want the fender to be just above or almost on the tire, no gap at all. I know coils will do this for sure, but wondering if sportlines can achieve that look as well. Ive gone through all the sporltine threads/spring drop thread, and ive seen a lot of pics, but some are higher than others. Does anyone have a recent pic with the springs settled they can show me? I would rather go with springs than cheap taiwan coils, but am mosttly concerned with no gap. If it helps, I have 9.5/10.5 and -3 and +12 offset front/rear with 235/255/35/19 tires. Thanks
Old 12-26-2012, 12:05 PM
JeffJohnries

This is my car on sportlines. The tires are 245's however. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails Eibach Sportlines Drop!-img_9919.jpg  
Old 12-26-2012, 12:15 PM
HarleyDobbs

Originally Posted by (ZzzzzZ)
Hello,

Sorry for another sportline drop thread, but im deciding between coils and the sportlines. I want the fender to be just above or almost on the tire, no gap at all. I know coils will do this for sure, but wondering if sportlines can achieve that look as well. Ive gone through all the sporltine threads/spring drop thread, and ive seen a lot of pics, but some are higher than others. Does anyone have a recent pic with the springs settled they can show me? I would rather go with springs than cheap taiwan coils, but am mosttly concerned with no gap. If it helps, I have 9.5/10.5 and -3 and +12 offset front/rear with 235/255/35/19 tires. Thanks
For what you're trying to achieve you will need coil overs. Springs alone will make your ride horrible and will not give you the look you're going for. You will always have some gap.

One of the mods on a Z that you always want save up for and do right, it's suspension. Many people have dopped in the springs hoping to get the "look" but just springs are good for actual track/road racing. Springs are just a temp for short cut for something you will have to do later when you are using them strickly for looks. Just putting springs will cause your OEM shocks/struts to wear sooner thus forcing you to do coils to get that look.

BTW, don't do cheap coils, if you're going to do that, you're better off just doing springs and waiting for the stock struts/shocks to fail but ultimately...wait. Get the stance you want and be happy. Do not cheap out on this or you will be pissed and spend double the money rather then waiting.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:17 PM
JeffJohnries

^ he's right, the car will probably explode if you put springs or cheap coils on it. I would't spend less that a quarter of what you paid for the car on a set of coils.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:35 PM
(ZzzzzZ)

jeffjohn do you have any more pics? That looks good
Old 12-26-2012, 01:39 PM
HarleyDobbs

jeffjohn do you have any more pics? That looks good
Keep in mind you have a shorter tire then he does. If you get his set up, you will have some fender gaps. Good luck with your search.

Also jeffjackass, I spent 15k on my Z making your 1/4 analogy $3,750. That's a little over where you want to be after install and what not but most good coil overs are about $2k-$3k not installed.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:49 PM
jninja26

I doubt this will answer your question, but here is my G with Eibach springs....

I scraped on a daily basis..not my cup of tea. I now have GR+ coil overs ($1200), and I'm now lowered about an inch...rather than the -2" F -1.5" R (as measured) with the Eibachs...Much firmer ride now too.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:47 PM
JeffJohnries

Originally Posted by HarleyDobbs
Keep in mind you have a shorter tire then he does. If you get his set up, you will have some fender gaps. Good luck with your search.

Also jeffjackass, I spent 15k on my Z making your 1/4 analogy $3,750. That's a little over where you want to be after install and what not but most good coil overs are about $2k-$3k not installed.
I didn't work out the math, it was more of a spitball. However you are right, a fifth of what you paid for the car sounds much more reasonable... Very clever with the username word play however... Bravo...
Old 12-27-2012, 10:34 AM
VMRWheels
Vendor - Former Vendor

You should probably just save up for some coilovers to get you where you want to be. Springs can be a little disappointing to some as the drop they offer isn't exactly what they'd like. With coilovers you can just adjust them until you're content.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:14 AM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyDobbs
For what you're trying to achieve you will need coil overs. Springs alone will make your ride horrible and will not give you the look you're going for. You will always have some gap.

One of the mods on a Z that you always want save up for and do right, it's suspension. Many people have dopped in the springs hoping to get the "look" but just springs are good for actual track/road racing. Springs are just a temp for short cut for something you will have to do later when you are using them strickly for looks. Just putting springs will cause your OEM shocks/struts to wear sooner thus forcing you to do coils to get that look.

BTW, don't do cheap coils, if you're going to do that, you're better off just doing springs and waiting for the stock struts/shocks to fail but ultimately...wait. Get the stance you want and be happy. Do not cheap out on this or you will be pissed and spend double the money rather then waiting.
Your post is confusing but I agree with it minus the highlighted section.

OP, it seems like from the number of threads you have made you are trying to come to a decision and keep going back and forth.

Just go with a cheaper set of coilovers since you just want to lower your car and reduce the gap.

Asking what everyone else will look like compared to your wheel & tire setup is pretty much pointless since everyones car is going to be different based on what size tires they use, the wheel width or even the brand of tires.

Stance, BC, or even Megan should be fine for what you want but I would honestly suggest saving for a quality set of coils like Tanabe, HKS, Greddys or KW's
Old 12-27-2012, 11:10 PM
Itzcashew

OP Just go with a set of Tein Basis or Tanabe Pro S-0C. They run <$900 and will provide you up to a 2" drop. With being adjustable it gives you the luxury of mixing and matching the ride height until you're content.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:29 PM
stevehl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i installed sportlines on mine and I don't like the drop at all. Its def not as aggressive as other peoples for some reason. I could fit my fist on the rears, thats how big the gap is. not sure why............how long does it take for the springs to settle? I bought these used and the gap in the rear is huge, its gonna have to drop at least another 1.5 inches in order for it to look normal
Old 12-31-2012, 06:11 AM
Jbakes727

I bought BC Br-type coilovers. They're only about $995. Are they the most decent coils on the market? No. But they're inexpensive and do actually ride pretty nice and you will be able to achieve the drop you want, they have adjustable dampening too, which is nice.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:07 PM
jninja26

I truly think that just buyinginstalling springs is a bad investment...They WILL eat away at your struts, cause your ride to hande worse (in most cases), they're not adjustable, and the labor associated is practically the same as installing struts too, or coilovers instead.

Lets take a look:

Lowering springs ~$200 + install ~$200, then eventually new struts ~$300+ install ~$200 = $900

Tein/BC coilovers ~$800-$900 + install ~$200 = $1000-$1100

Spend now, or spend later...plus which would you rather have for handling, dampning, and height adjustment?
Old 01-08-2013, 02:02 PM
(ZzzzzZ)

^^or you can buy the springs and struts together and install them yourself, instead of dropping 400 on those installs, which is ridiculous
Old 01-09-2013, 10:42 AM
AllstarE4
Sleeps in 350Z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^or you can buy the springs and struts together and install them yourself, instead of dropping 400 on those installs, which is ridiculous
This
Old 07-23-2015, 11:06 AM
James1990

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I spent $350 on springs, fender roll, and wheel spacers. To me that's better than spending $1500 if you're not in a hurry or tracking the car.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:20 AM
Pengu

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

I got the eibach sportlines as a temporary lowering for now. I put them on myself with 25mm spacers up front and 30mm in the rear. I am pretty happy with the drop as it's flush all around. I will get pictures once I am home (rode the bike today).

I spent $130 on the springs, and bought the spacers new cause I didn't see any used. It took about 2 hours to put it all on. Don't forget the price for a case of beer though.