Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Uneven steering, steering wheel wants to turn right!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 07:00 AM
ehaalandtluk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uneven steering, steering wheel wants to turn right!

Hey guys.

Symptoms of my problem:

Car goes straight if steering wheel is straight (0*-3*)

If pressure is removed from steering wheel at any speed, it will move 5* to the right and make the car start turning. This is on any driveway/flat surface (not just on highways with road droop )

If I hold the wheel straight, it drives straight.

The car is noticeably harder to turn left.

Car history:

(BEFORE I WAS A CAR NUT LOL )

Had a curbing incident in 2009, passenger side suspension was damaged and most control arms were replaced as well as the wheels. When I recieved the car back from the shop, there was some pull to the right, but I brought it back and it was fixed mostly, still some slight pull but I lived with it because I was still in school and I barely drove 4 or 5 thousand miles per year.

Mid 2011 when I started commuting, I decided to get my tires checked and wheels redaligned. Front two tires were MASSACRED torn up mesh showing and not safe at all to drive. Replaced immediately with MPS2's and had a four wheel alignment done to the best of the ability of the shop where it was done. Caster was still off. Brakes were installed in the same time frame. Rear brake pads installed.

Been living with it ever since.

NOW I AM A CAR GUY

Late 2011 I install my Tiens, no alignment, but I think I'm safe. (wrong)

Now, December 2012 rolls up and I have been helping my parents with tire choices for their German cars and when they finish getting an alignment, I decide to congratulate my self and say what a good son and technically knowledgeable car enthusiast I am. I mean just look at my PERFECTLY ALIGNED TIRE WITH THE MESH SHOWING AAAAAAAH

290$ and a Michelin Super Sport later I am fed up with this pull to the right and want to get it fixed. Right after this latest tire is put in, I take it to nissan for a 4 wheel alignment. Absolutely no change in the steering behavior and it is confirmed by the technician that it's not just me. Also, the tech says I need a rear left toe arm for complete alignment, because it is bent. (which is weird, since I have never hit my left side.) But my alignment is mostly good. I could buy the part my self, put it in, and have it aligned again, but I want to see what else is wrong before I do this.

Currently, my rear tires are slightly unevenly worn on the inside. (.4 L vs .7 R)

Can't compare front wheels, but the FR is not wearing prematurely as of the last 100 miles.

My guess is that the root problem was from the wreck in 2009 and something else needs to be fixed. Can anyone help me figure out what is going on?

Thanks for your help!

Car Equipment:

Suspension- Tien Basic Coilovers
Brakes- (F) Stoptech (R) Non-Brembo Factory

Wheels- Stock 2004.5 6 spoke round.

Tires- Stock size michelins as follows:

Car has two same aged Michelin Pilot Super Sports in rear. Uneven camber wear

Car has one Michelin Pilot Sport Pro PS2 on the FR. I originally purchased two for the front, but they stopped making the PS2 so I bought --(next tire)

Car has one Michelin Pilot Super Sport on the FL. This wheel was showing the mesh. I blame this on crappy alignment after I put my Tien Basics on. This isn't the problem (or is it?)
Old 01-06-2013, 09:36 PM
3oh5z

when you got into that accident in 2009, did the shop you take it to notice any issues with the frame or any sort of structural support of the car? that would certainly throw off your cars suspension geometry as well as cause a pull in the steering...
Old 01-06-2013, 09:49 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Need to see alignment specs, really need to measure the car for damage.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:24 AM
JDMStanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my car pulls to the right quite a bit even when i had pretty new tires, and new alignment.
It's annoying but i learned to ignore it..lol
Where do i have to go to check if any parts are bent or damaged that could affect the pull , and how much does it usually cost to check?
Old 01-09-2013, 04:56 AM
ehaalandtluk

Originally Posted by 3oh5z
when you got into that accident in 2009, did the shop you take it to notice any issues with the frame or any sort of structural support of the car? that would certainly throw off your cars suspension geometry as well as cause a pull in the steering...
No frame damage. The only part of the frame that was damaged was the passenger rear strut mount and that was replaced. The curb only hit the wheels and it wasnt that fast.

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Need to see alignment specs, really need to measure the car for damage.
Alignment is in tolerance except for driver rear camber. Installing new rear camber arm next week and getting it realigned to see what happens.

Originally Posted by JDMStanced
my car pulls to the right quite a bit even when i had pretty new tires, and new alignment.
It's annoying but i learned to ignore it..lol
Where do i have to go to check if any parts are bent or damaged that could affect the pull , and how much does it usually cost to check?
That's what I'm asking.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:41 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

BTW how low is the car?
Old 01-09-2013, 09:36 AM
ehaalandtluk

.9 inch front .8 rear

Edit- FROM STOCK LOL
Old 01-10-2013, 02:21 AM
JDMStanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've been feeling that the car steers more responsively and firm when i jerk the steering to right at high speed.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:33 PM
paulpoca2003

I know this is a old thread but anyone else got similar problems? My steering wheel feels light turning left too.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:11 PM
Johnnyboy8780

i hit a curb and now my car pulls to the right so i went to get it aligned and they said my control arms are bent and bushings shot.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:14 PM
albertsZ

This sounds like either an alignment issue or something is bent. I would check to make sure your specs are right. I had this issue when my toe, camber, and caster was a little off on one wheel, causing a pull to the right. You can do an inspection for bent parts by looking for any kinks in the metal.