Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Whiteline Rear Differential Bushing Review

Old 11-26-2014, 06:54 AM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

Search ebay for used OTC tools, you just need to make sure you get the dimensions of the receiving cup correct. If memory serves you need to find one a little over 3"...but just get under your car and take OD of the receiving sleeve in the subframe.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:08 AM
Kano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by guitman32
Search ebay for used OTC tools, you just need to make sure you get the dimensions of the receiving cup correct. If memory serves you need to find one a little over 3"...but just get under your car and take OD of the receiving sleeve in the subframe.
I've checked ebay, none of the removal tools seem to list the dimensions of the components which makes buying them a crap shoot. I've mailed two sellers, will see if they come back. Otherwise I'll have to by a recip saw..
Old 11-26-2014, 08:13 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

i used a reciprocating saw on mine, not too hard.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:37 AM
guitman32

Originally Posted by Kano
I've checked ebay, none of the removal tools seem to list the dimensions of the components which makes buying them a crap shoot. I've mailed two sellers, will see if they come back. Otherwise I'll have to by a recip saw..
Yes you definitely have to do a little digging...the sellers of those used OTC/ROTUNDA factory tools hardly list specs, but they will list the intended make/model/piece the part is for. Going to sound a little crazy but you can also approximate the size of the cup using something to reference in the picture...maybe the hole in the middle. As long as you err on the size of too large youll be fine.
Old 11-26-2014, 03:19 PM
guitman32

Heres a little help for you (since trial and error is a little more difficult shipping to the UK):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rotunda-Ford-Explorer-Factory-Tool-Set-FREE-SHIPPING-/151087931443?hash=item232d8ae033&item=151087931443&pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr
That receiving cup will clear the OD of the outer sleeve in the subframe, but will rest a bit awkwardly on the two large weld points on the subframe face. This wont cause any damage, just leave a slight flat spot on each weld (cant see them on the inside of the subframe anyway).

Also the bushing will bottom out in the receiving cup, but will be far enough that you can take it the rest of the way out with a hammer.

The driver is the perfect size.

Don't forget to lube the threaded shaft with moly grease and take breaks to let everything cool down. I was very impressed with the tool.
Old 12-28-2014, 01:38 PM
chintzelman

Odd question. I watched the linked Zgarage video on removing the diff and installing the bushings. Why did he mark the axels and drive shaft with the diff? I've swapped diffs in and out of cars and they don't need to line up exactly how they were. If I have my axel rotated 180 or anything it won't matter. As long as it all bolts back together.

This was informative. Thank you.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:09 PM
Z33Garage

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by chintzelman
Odd question. I watched the linked Zgarage video on removing the diff and installing the bushings. Why did he mark the axels and drive shaft with the diff? I've swapped diffs in and out of cars and they don't need to line up exactly how they were. If I have my axel rotated 180 or anything it won't matter. As long as it all bolts back together.

This was informative. Thank you.
Hey I'm the one that makes the vids glad you liked em. There's no reason for me doing that, I just did that for the sake of the vid. : / lol
Old 08-27-2015, 10:57 AM
drew_dst

deleting

Last edited by drew_dst; 08-27-2015 at 11:07 AM. Reason: deleting
Old 07-16-2018, 12:17 PM
BartmanEH

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chintzelman
Old thread, I know, but people keeping come back to thread's like this to do the same job years later.

Anyway, per the service manual, you mark the original orientation of the driveshaft and axles so they can be re-assembled the same way. If you didn't have vibration before, you won't after re-assembling. If you install them with a different orientation, there's a chance you might introduce a new vibration due to slight imbalance of the mating parts.
The following 2 users liked this post by BartmanEH:
blax 350 (07-16-2018), khnitz (01-09-2019)