Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 10:50 AM
Blurvision

Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

Wow! Impressive. Very nice work.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:06 PM
ObiRedKenobi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been doing a lot of looking at 3d printing lately. I think the technology is really cool. There is a place down the road where I can have items printed up as long as I pay for the materials. I haven't gotten serious enough to see what kind of materials are available or what kind of resolution their printer will get but when I found out it got my mind reeling.

My thinking though is more along the lines of it would be cool to take an interior piece have some one create a model with some slight modifications and print it out so that it would snap into place just like a stock piece would. Mostly just add a pocket for crap where I'd like one. Hell make a custom badge or anything really. Just something small that I could say is all mine. I'd have to find someone that could make it I just don't have the technical skills.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:39 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

How long does it take to make say the battery tray?
Old 07-07-2013, 11:11 AM
jkbg38

Originally Posted by KingBaby
How long does it take to make say the battery tray?
The battery tray takes about 12hrs, the left and right elbow ducts take about 30hrs combined. The build time is completely hands free though, so it can be done overnight or over the weekend etc...
Old 07-07-2013, 11:15 AM
jkbg38

Originally Posted by ObiRedKenobi
I've been doing a lot of looking at 3d printing lately. I think the technology is really cool. There is a place down the road where I can have items printed up as long as I pay for the materials. I haven't gotten serious enough to see what kind of materials are available or what kind of resolution their printer will get but when I found out it got my mind reeling.

My thinking though is more along the lines of it would be cool to take an interior piece have some one create a model with some slight modifications and print it out so that it would snap into place just like a stock piece would. Mostly just add a pocket for crap where I'd like one. Hell make a custom badge or anything really. Just something small that I could say is all mine. I'd have to find someone that could make it I just don't have the technical skills.
You could try Google sketchup. It's essentially a free but powerful 3D modeling program. I have never used it but I hear good things!
Old 07-07-2013, 12:12 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

So that's the set back, not necessarily...

I did a quick google on it and how good are the 3-4k printers?
Old 07-07-2013, 04:59 PM
| 1cleanZ |

How long have you lived in MN? Time for us to get you out to a gathering to meet you!

Nice work BTW!
Old 07-07-2013, 05:38 PM
SR71
Lead Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 305 Likes on 166 Posts

That is some fascinating work you've got going there, can't wait to see it in person.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:06 PM
jkbg38

Originally Posted by KingBaby
So that's the set back, not necessarily...

I did a quick google on it and how good are the 3-4k printers?
Not great, most of the DIY 3D printers don't have a support material so any geometry you make has to be "self supporting". For example you could build the letter Y standing up but not the letter T.

Originally Posted by | 1cleanZ |
How long have you lived in MN? Time for us to get you out to a gathering to meet you!

Nice work BTW!
Been here since last October!
Old 07-09-2013, 04:16 AM
isy_nismo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jkbg38
Guys, if enough people want a set, here is what we can do. I don't own a machine personally and I can't use company machines to produce my own products to sell (obviously). I might be able to pay a parts service bureau to print a few sets and pass them on at cost for "beta testing". The final products would be made out of carbon fiber..... without owning a machine it would be too expensive to pay a service bureau to make them to sell.

It would take time and development, so not an instant thing. If you are in PM me so I can gauge if there is enough people to make it worth while. I'm estimating $600 for a set if it was to happen.
I'll be interested in the brake cooling project but I don't have the Nismo V2 front bumper...Always I'm thinking in to use the reflectors holes in my 2006 OEM bumper, If you sell the project separately without Nismo V2 intakes I'm interested or you can try make a little RAM intake for those reflector holes and for sure more people are interested in this to use the OEM bumper for the traks!!

Congrats Matey!!
Old 07-09-2013, 05:44 AM
maximariceboi

Very nice!
Old 07-09-2013, 09:12 AM
QTB

This is great. My last job had a 3D printer and I did tons of stuff with it but it was a pretty small one that would only accomodate about 10"x10"x8" if I recall. Let us know if you can push these through for 'beta' testing. As a fellow road racer I would be interested as well.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:38 AM
idrive_MD

Cool stuff, I've got a Fortus900 and two Uprints I work with daily...I've made a few little things here and there for myself and a few other car guy employees, but nothing that well designed.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:22 AM
Extreme Dimensions
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Amazing stuff.3D printing is something i have been very interested in.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:54 PM
PercisionDriver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, a Stratasys guy; cool. I'm always see your stuff at the shows and magazines. I'm an engineer at Switchcraft in Chicago. We've been pushing for some rapid prototyper for a while and looked into your machines. Great to see this application. I guess we'll just have to start pushing harder.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:36 AM
350Z Project X

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

wow, and i thought making a soap dish and truck rim in high school on autodesk inventor was cool. lol. I cant wait to finish and have my mechanical engineering degree, being a production analyst in a PITA!! Our 3D printer in high school only did 12"x12"x12" using ABS plastic with support.
On the side of work right now im actually working on constructing a peeling machine for work. Probably will be another month or so though before its done designing.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:23 PM
vtchang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any updates on this? VIR is coming up
Old 07-31-2013, 04:32 PM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,354 Posts

He's probably inventing something new.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:09 AM
Blurvision

Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

PM him. I got a reply regarding price ect for these.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:34 PM
randyzimmer

Default Printing Parts

Hi, I've been making ducts like the long ones (I call them Intermediate because they're in between the nose and the backing plate) for Subaru's for a few years now. I've been testing a new concept that takes a lot of the complexity out of the cooling tract and replaces good old passive momentum with electronics. The side benefit is less drag with a small decrease in undercar pressure as the fans grab the air and spit it out the wheels.

Quick Reply: Rapid Prototyping Race Car Parts