Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

z33 rear brake upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 10:14 AM
venture210

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts
Default z33 rear brake upgrade

Anyone ever tried getting an extra set of front discs and calipers, custom mounted them on the rear? As we all know, the rear brakes suck for drifting. Maybe it's hiding in a thread somewhere and I haven't looked hard enough but it seems like a cheap and effective way to get those rear tires to lock up better. Might not be as simple to modify but the thought of it is tempting me to go pick up all the parts and give it a shot. The discs should fit no problem right? The caliper once mounted on the disc should make it easy to find mounting hole locations right? Then all you have to is what, connect the brake lines? Am I missing anything, is this idea to far out there. What's everyone think
Old 03-28-2014, 11:07 AM
Willis cabbage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your e brake uses your oem rear caliper to brake. Thats why you have to twist the piston while you press it in. A front caliper does not have this feature. If you did a dual caliper setup on the rear with an hydraulic ebrake you could do it.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:27 AM
Guitar Nut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by venture210
Anyone ever tried getting an extra set of front discs and calipers, custom mounted them on the rear? As we all know, the rear brakes suck for drifting. Maybe it's hiding in a thread somewhere and I haven't looked hard enough but it seems like a cheap and effective way to get those rear tires to lock up better. Might not be as simple to modify but the thought of it is tempting me to go pick up all the parts and give it a shot. The discs should fit no problem right? The caliper once mounted on the disc should make it easy to find mounting hole locations right? Then all you have to is what, connect the brake lines? Am I missing anything, is this idea to far out there. What's everyone think
I'm assuming your looking for this thread?

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...ebrake-13.html
Old 03-29-2014, 09:53 AM
venture210

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Willis cabbage
Your e brake uses your oem rear caliper to brake. Thats why you have to twist the piston while you press it in. A front caliper does not have this feature. If you did a dual caliper setup on the rear with an hydraulic ebrake you could do it.
On my 06 I simply pushed the rear wheel pistons in with the end of a hammer on the pad. Never had to do this twist you speak of. Which year models are you referring have to be twisted in like you said?

Originally Posted by Guitar Nut
I'm assuming your looking for this thread?

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...ebrake-13.html
I came across that one actually and it's pretty good thread but I'm not trying to go with dual calipers if I can get the larger front caliper to mount with the hub and simply replace the disc with the larger front disc.

Thanks for the replies guys
Old 03-29-2014, 10:16 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Originally Posted by Willis cabbage
Talk about being off in left field. The Z has a separate ebrake , dedicated system that uses shoes inside the disk rotor