Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Stoptech Cryo Treated or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 05:33 PM
dmsec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stoptech Cryo Treated or Not?

Alright guys got a question (of course).

Is there a noticeable braking advantage to stoptech's cryo treated rotors compared the their non cryo treated rotors?

Main uses for my Z are daily driving with 10-15 autocrosses a year. I'm not on r-comp tires so I don't need much more braking than stock.

Basically, is the $150 price difference for all 4 rotors worth it in the end?
Old 04-03-2014, 05:57 PM
dmsec

Nobody?
Old 04-07-2014, 11:13 AM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

My experience is that you'll get longer service life out of cryo-treated rotors (approximately 15-20 percent improvement) without any significant reduction in brake performance. I use Centric Premium cryo-treated rotors on all my vehicles now. On my Z, I use factory pads, which are made by Akebono and work quite well with the Centrics. The change over to StopTech stainless steel braided brake lines have given me the most significant improvement in peadal feel. I have no experience with the StopTech cry-treated rotors but assume they'd have similar or slightly better performance than the Centrics.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:04 PM
Grimreaper87

Originally Posted by zakmartin
My experience is that you'll get longer service life out of cryo-treated rotors (approximately 15-20 percent improvement) without any significant reduction in brake performance. I use Centric Premium cryo-treated rotors on all my vehicles now. On my Z, I use factory pads, which are made by Akebono and work quite well with the Centrics. The change over to StopTech stainless steel braided brake lines have given me the most significant improvement in peadal feel. I have no experience with the StopTech cry-treated rotors but assume they'd have similar or slightly better performance than the Centrics.

Lol. Stoptech gets there rotors from centric.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:09 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

They are great, get them

I run them on my Z and even though my car sits most of the week they still keep in really good shape and have not rusted
Old 04-07-2014, 01:11 PM
kilogram

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Braking advantage? No. Steel is steel and its µ against brake lining material is dependent on the brake lining material. Any advantage is in abrasion resistance and cracking, not deceleration.

Rotors are consumables. Unless their increase in cost is proportional to their increase in lifespan over a quality blank, they're not worth it. If you're looking at a motorsport application where you've had issues with DNFs due to cracked rotors, the cost may be worth it to get you to the finish line, but for a street driven vehicle this is rarely the case.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:08 PM
tphss

Get Centric rotors, like grimreaper said Stoptech buys them from Centric (at least the more basic rotors).

I just ordered a full set of four Centric High Carbon 125 rotors for my Z.
They look high quality and the center and edge are painted black which is great.