Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Nismo suspension on 2005 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 06:40 AM
g37smike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nismo suspension on 2005 350Z

I am interested on running the Nismo suspension, but it says its not posible on my 2005 350Z VDC equip car.

NISMO Shock and Spring Kit, Front and Rear Sway Bar Kit, and Wheels can be used on VDC-equipped vehicles only if ALL are installed together (2003-2004 only, Cannot be installed on 2005 VDC equipped vehicles.)

Anybody know a way around this? anything else I need to modify or what should I do to make it work?

Thank you for your time.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:25 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Works just fine
Old 04-08-2014, 08:01 AM
g37smike

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Works just fine
So even thou website says it cannot be installed I actually can?

http://www.nissanautosports.com/niss...t-189-prd1.htm
Old 04-08-2014, 09:15 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

+1, they will work fine. There was a used setup listed a short while ago here in the classifieds. Might want to take a look.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:06 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

The parts bolt onto a VDC equipped car the same way they do on a non-VDC’d car. Many owners have installed one or two of the suspension pieces, and often not all three.

I believe this was a “protective” disclaimer from Nissan. NissanAutoSports.com is extending the myth for the same defensive reasons. VDC was only tested with the Nismo Springs/Shocks, Nismo Anti-sway Bars, and Nismo Wheels together, but not tested separately. So…

This is why you get a book with 12 pages of safety instruction when you buy a vacuum cleaner at Target.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:51 PM
g37smike

Originally Posted by Spike100
The parts bolt onto a VDC equipped car the same way they do on a non-VDC’d car. Many owners have installed one or two of the suspension pieces, and often not all three.

I believe this was a “protective” disclaimer from Nissan. NissanAutoSports.com is extending the myth for the same defensive reasons. VDC was only tested with the Nismo Springs/Shocks, Nismo Anti-sway Bars, and Nismo Wheels together, but not tested separately. So…

This is why you get a book with 12 pages of safety instruction when you buy a vacuum cleaner at Target.

Thank you. Perfect answer.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:03 PM
Spike100

Some very knowledgeable people here will tell you not to go with the NISMO 350Z S-Tune Suspension along with the Nissan 350Z NISMO Front and Rear Sway Bar Kit. The argument is a less stiff suspension and you only get about ½” drop.

If you are not overly considered about “fender gap,” you should not worry about this.

1) The Nismo suspension (springs and shocks) is less stiff, but that handling characteristic is very different (and favorable) with the350Z NISMO Front and Rear Sway Bar Kit that Nissan recommends mounting with the Nismo springs and shocks.

2) A ½ inch drop is very conservative, but you have these advantages: No need to install camber and cast components or concerns with alignment.

3) You won’t rub the rear wheels.

4) This is a simple and effective solution that does not require additional adjustments and expenses.

As more reinforcement, I’m going to mount the NISMO 350Z S-Tune Suspension along with the the Nissan 350Z NISMO Front and Rear Sway Bar Kit. In fact I really think that the two together (the springs and the sway bars) should be mounted in unison for the best result. You certainly do not need Nismo wheels.

--Spike

Last edited by Spike100; 04-09-2014 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:51 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Some very knowledgeable people here will tell you not to go with the NISMO 350Z S-Tune Suspension along with the Nissan 350Z NISMO Front and Rear Sway Bar Kit. The argument is a less stiff suspension and you only get about ½” drop.

If you are not overly considered about “fender gap,” you should not worry about this.

1) The Nismo suspension (springs and shocks) is less stiff, but that handling characteristic is very different (and favorable) with the350Z NISMO Front and Rear Sway Bar Kit that Nissan recommends mounting with the Nismo springs and shocks.

2) A ½ inch drop is very conservative, but you have these advantages: No need to install camber and cast components or concerns with alignment.

3) You won’t rub the rear wheels.

4) This is a simple and effective solution that does not require additional adjustments and expenses.

As more reinforcement, I’m going to mount the NISMO 350Z S-Tune Suspension along with the the Nissan 350Z NISMO Front and Rear Sway Bar Kit. In fact I really think that the two together (the springs and the sway bars) should be mounted in unison for the best result. You certainly do not need Nismo wheels.

--Spike
it is a great handling setup to throw on and forget about , but you can get better for the money. Better will include adjustable parts, very easy to screw the handling up with them.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:34 PM
Spike100

I don’t want to jack g37smike’s thread, but I think he may be interested in better solutions costing less.

Originally Posted by terrasmak
it is a great handling setup to throw on and forget about , but you can get better for the money. Better will include adjustable parts, very easy to screw the handling up with them.
Excellent points from terrasmak. I agree that the Nismo S-Tune Suspension Kit is attractive to some owners because it is a “no fuss” solution. It’s fixed so its lack of adjustments means you can forget about it after installation. It’s “Nissan Tested” so the buyer is confident that it works. The small ½” drop does not require installing additional components to control camber and other suspension settings.

Maybe this should be a new thread, but… Is there something similar that is better and costs less?

--Spike
Old 04-11-2014, 02:10 PM
dcains

I've got the Nismo suspension on my '08, exactly for the reasons mentioned above, and I'm very happy with it. Even so, I can barely get into the parking garage at my job. There's one of those speedbump arrays on the entrance and exit, and they're the kind with 5narrow, high bumps spaced just several inches apart. Just f'ing horrible with a low and stiff car, and I'm sure it's beating the crap out of my shocks.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:17 PM
Spike100

^^ I’m glad you mention this. There are speed bumps in my parking lot that I just clear with no drop. They are the same configuration you mention. I think I can get away with ½” drop by taking the bumps a little laterally, but there is no way I will clear with a 1” drop. --Spike
Old 04-11-2014, 02:27 PM
g37smike

I am really interested in this setup not because of cost, but because I feel it would help me get more out of my car while keeping it "original". I want my car to hold value and if in 5 years I'm going to sell it I think the buyer would feel better knowing that the mods are made by Nissan. I know I'am really afraid of buying cars with a lot of aftermarket parts on it. I also want the exhaust, intake etc. I will help keep the Original factor.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:36 PM
dcains

+1 on that, too. I've got the S-Tune exhaust, Brembo brakes, and a set of Nismo LMGT4 wheels. I like mods made by Nissan, and also others that appear close to original, except maybe for better quality (i.e. suede leather shift and handbrake boots, Homelink mirror with amber compass display, upgraded sound system with hidden components, etc.).
Old 04-11-2014, 03:33 PM
Spike100

You are wise, and your statements and instincts are correct.

Originally Posted by g37smike
I am really interested in this setup not because of cost, but because I feel it would help me get more out of my car while keeping it "original". I want my car to hold value and if in 5 years I'm going to sell it I think the buyer would feel better knowing that the mods are made by Nissan. I know I'am really afraid of buying cars with a lot of aftermarket parts on it. I also want the exhaust, intake etc. I will help keep the Original factor.
Savvy buyers can discern value in aftermarket components you add to the car, but dealerships and the general public will consider aftermarket products as potential problems.

Equipping your Nissan car with Nismo parts increases its value to the general buying population.

Installing aftermarket products that are not OEM (not sanctioned by Nissan) can decrease the car’s value.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:22 AM
g37smike

You are wise, and your statements and instincts are correct.

Savvy buyers can discern value in aftermarket components you add to the car, but dealerships and the general public will consider aftermarket products as potential problems.

Equipping your Nissan car with Nismo parts increases its value to the general buying population.

Installing aftermarket products that are not OEM (not sanctioned by Nissan) can decrease the car’s value.

Exactly.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:58 PM
350zperu

Man! This set-up sounds great. Best of luck to you and I look forward to seeing the end result pictures.

On my end, After doing different several suspension mistakes. like lowering the car way to much and running many different tire sizes to experiment.

I have also decided that its time for a make over. From now on NISMO parts for me