Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Stepped up to big boy brakes now needyo upgrade masters

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 07:08 AM
gixxert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stepped up to big boy brakes now needyo upgrade masters

I and running the airtekk 8piston/6piston set up with 15" rotors. I understand it takes more fluid to move that many pistons my question is; is there an upgrade like the 370z or the g37 master that bolts up? My pedal has more travel but the car still stops very well. I have done one track event already. I'm just looking to firm up my pedal like it was factory.

I tried searching but in the app it won't let me.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:36 AM
kilogram

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

It's not about how many pistons your calipers have, it's about the combined area of those pistons. Any well-engineered brake upgrade should be sized to be similar area to stock, if not slightly less (to improve pedal feel).

You already have one of the largest master cylinders in the sports car world in your car. Z's have very large master cylinders at 26.99mm.

The unfortunate thing is that a lot of aftermarket brake "upgrades" jack the piston sizes up to make the pedal feel like it bites harder, so you feel like the brakes work better. It sacrifices pedal travel, however, and most people don't realize that a touchier pedal is harder to modulate. Carroll Smith once said to make the MC as large as the driver can stand- the inverse is true as well- make the caliper pistons as small as the driver can stand.

A brake upgrade that results in a lower pedal wasn't engineered properly. And like I said, the Z already has one of the biggest MC's out there. I don't believe there's a bolt-on solution. Really, your only option is to find an appropriately sized larger piston and bore out your old MC since there doesn't appear to be a compatible larger body available.

The 2013 Armada/Titan has a 30.1625mm piston, but the body is different from the Z's body. The mounting flange is slightly clocked from the Z's, and the reservoir is different. You might be able to bore out a Z MC for the larger piston, though at +3mm that might leave the walls a little thin. The earlier (2004) Titan uses a 28.5mm piston that might be a better fit if you were going to bore out a Z MC.

Last edited by kilogram; 04-13-2014 at 02:25 PM.