Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

CZP Brake Lines Suck

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 04:54 AM
pfregeolle

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default CZP Brake Lines Suck

EDIT: Turns out that CZP no longer makes these lines, so I can't say whether it's theirs or Technafit's lines that failed. Coz has since contacted me to help make things right, and in no way was I originally bashing Coz - just the brake lines that I was using and how frustrated/unsatisfied I am with them.

Background story: I ordered the CZP G37 Retrofit brake kit for my 350Z when the kit pretty much first came out, several years ago. My kit came with the G37 calipers, CZP brackets, StopTech slotted rotors, Hawk Pads, and CZP Teflon coated SS brake lines.

SINCE purchasing and installing the kit, my drivers side rear brake line leaked and had to be replaced with a new one. Luckily, this first time, it was not so severe and I was even able to take photos and a video of the brake fluid leaking from the line. I sent these to CZP, and they replaced my rear lines free of charge. I decided to go ahead and replace the passenger side rear when the new lines arrived just to keep both sides in check, and in case there had been any revision to the design.

Not even maybe a year later, the passenger side rear line completely deteriorated at the end that screws to the hard line coupler. This time there was no possibility of driving the car what-so-ever, because almost all of the fluid leaked out of where the coupler split.. I was able to salvage a rear brake line from my stock brakes and use this as a temporary solution until I could either replace all of the lines, or just order a whole new brake kit and trash the CZP junk.

Well two weeks ago, here I am driving on the highway and getting ready to slow down for my exit. Hit the brakes to start slowing down. . . .Brief thump. . . .Pedal goes to the floor. . . .And there I am doing 60MPH in the exit lane with no brakes. I'm fkn glad that I'm smart enough to know how to downshift, and pump my E-Brake that allowed me to safely slow down and get off the exit without damaging my car, myself, or any others or their cars around me. I knew right away that it was these piece of $h!t CZP Brake lines. I stopped the car in a parking lot, and sure enough there was brake fluid all over my passenger side front wheel. One of the lines burst.

I ordered Z1 Motorsports lines last week, and they came within two days. Put them on Saturday night, and everything went as smooth as could be. While removing the old CZP line from the front, I took a look at what happened. CZP makes their lines so short, and with insufficient bracketing, that the lines rub the knuckle. The lines are too short to correctly clear all suspension components, and end up rubbing through the teflon coating, and eating at the SS lines. I wish I had saved the lines, or at least taken a photo, and been able to send them back to CZP to show them how dangerous their design is. Literally you could see how the internals of the line had burst open through the hole that had been rubbed into the side.

I'm just sick of dealing with a bull$h!t product, and I hope that others can learn from my own mishap. CZP has lost my business forever, and I hope that you strongly consider this review before purchasing any parts that are "made by them."

/RANT

Last edited by pfregeolle; 04-15-2014 at 09:27 AM.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:09 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

I feel your pain. Not a safety issue, but I got hosed on a set of swaybar endlinks from them, and couldn't even get a reply to the email I sent to Coz.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:13 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Pics, I wonder if they were properly routed.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:16 AM
pfregeolle

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Pics, I wonder if they were properly routed.
"I wish I had saved the lines, or at least taken a photo, and been able to send them back to CZP to show them how dangerous their design is."

I might have some old photos from when I originally put them on. . .

They were properly routed. And honestly there's really no other way to route them because they're so short. Also their lines only came with one bracket to mount to either the knuckle or the strut, rather than both.

I don't have any of the fronts, but here's the original one that leaked and they sent me replacements. The next two completely came apart. And for the rear to do what it did, makes no sense. There was no rubbing in the rear - It simply just came apart.

Name:  IMG_2158.jpg
Views: 734
Size:  59.9 KB

VIDEO:

Last edited by pfregeolle; 04-15-2014 at 06:25 AM.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:35 AM
Coz@CZP
Sponsor
Concept Z Performance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Bud, Check your PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:36 AM
TuckerE36

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

And these are brake lines CZP actually designed and manufactured??? I was under the impression CZP is just a vendor… Can't blame them for a part that they didn't manufacture.

Last edited by TuckerE36; 04-15-2014 at 07:38 AM.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:42 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

i am sure that there are some unknowns with the story, me personally i wouldnt have emailed them... every time i have called them they have been really helpful
Old 04-15-2014, 07:44 AM
Coz@CZP
Sponsor
Concept Z Performance

Originally Posted by TuckerE36
And these are brake lines CZP actually designed and manufactured??? I was under the impression CZP is just a vendor… Can't blame them for a part that they didn't manufacture.
They were only under the CZP Label when originally designed for the Akebono Kit, but Technafit is the manufacturer.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:47 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

so with that being said, it is not a CZP design flaw, and now they can relay the info. understand OP frustration completely, and i am sure that they will try to make things right
Old 04-15-2014, 08:07 AM
TuckerE36

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by travlee9374
so with that being said, it is not a CZP design flaw, and now they can relay the info. understand OP frustration completely, and i am sure that they will try to make things right
Agree. CZP will help you out. Technafit doesn't make the highest quality things.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:20 AM
Junkster

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Ive ran techna fit lines on my maxima and have installed them on a couple other cars. I never had any issues. This is super sketch though, glad you ended up being okay OP. Brake failure is no laughing matter
Old 04-15-2014, 08:25 AM
Coz@CZP
Sponsor
Concept Z Performance

Originally Posted by Junkster
Ive ran techna fit lines on my maxima and have installed them on a couple other cars. I never had any issues. This is super sketch though, glad you ended up being okay OP. Brake failure is no laughing matter
Agreed, We've sold over 300+ of these lines, so it's very strange. I would have been nice to have the old ones back to have them inspected.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:32 AM
AdvanZ33
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 189 Likes on 102 Posts

Edit: disregard.

Last edited by AdvanZ33; 04-15-2014 at 08:47 AM.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:35 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

I did a Google CZP search for similar problems, but didn't find any through 3 pages of search results. I was curious myself as to what could have been the problem. It didn't make sense to me. But like others have said, we're glad the OP is ok. Brake failure is not cool...
Old 04-15-2014, 11:00 AM
350ZZJoe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have these lines on my car with the Akebono kit.

I noticed they were short and rubbed in a few spots when I installed them. Will have to get under the car and take a look ASAP.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:42 PM
92K1500

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Coz@CZP
Hey Bud, Check your PM.
I hate when vendors try to hide stuff. Sure some things don't need to be public info but in a thread like this we should at least be able to see what is being done to fix the situation.

We get a big long speech/rant about a defective part, people start slinging negative comments, the vendor pops in to say they sent the OP a PM and nobody ever finds out how it ends.

Originally Posted by 350ZZJoe

I noticed they were short and rubbed in a few spots when I installed them. Will have to get under the car and take a look ASAP.
Send pics.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:25 PM
BigBlue

Received 186 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by 350ZZJoe

Yes pics please. I have the akebono kit also and will take a look.

*CZP/Coz have been very good to work with; I've done full brake, clutch/flywheel kits from them and they are a professional outfit!

Last edited by BigBlue; 04-15-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:53 PM
350ZZJoe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So first I will say that I bought my Akebono kit very lightly used so I have never dealt with CZP at all, but I am under the impression that these are the same lines that are being discussed here. I live in Canada and these have been on my car for approx 1 yr and 10,000miles. Driven in all weather conditions. I think the winter (salt) did a number on the hardware provided with the lines. The previous owner claimed only 500miles of use.

In this first picture, you will see how the line creates a sharp angle after passing through the bracket on the strut, which has caused the coating to rip and come off in that section. I experimented with positioning the bracket differently but this was the best that I could come up with to put the least amount of stress on the line.
Name:  IMG_20140415_175226.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  116.0 KB

In this second picture, you can see how the line has been rubbing against the spindle and actually polished it a bit! Suprisingly, the teflon coating in this area has not ripped through. That little bunch you see near the bracket is how the whole sheath has moved down from where it ripped at the strut bracket.

You can also see how the line rests on top of the caliper adapter bracket. Once again, this is the best route I could do because if you change the angle of the line as it goes into the caliper, you would get more slack but the line would be pushing right on the caliper bracket bolt.
Name:  IMG_20140415_175315.jpg
Views: 955
Size:  96.9 KB

Now if you noticed the orientation of the brackets that come pre-attached to the lines, you will see that if you were able to flip the spindle bracket the other way, you may end up with more clearance.

"Well then why didn't you swap the lines from left to right side of car!?"

Well you see, the strut mount bracket is the right way. If you swapped the left and right lines, the strut mount bracket will definitely be the wrong way and just rub even more.

So, bottom line, I don't think the lines are a perfect fit in the front. It could be that the mounting solutions they provide are not proper. Better brackets could probably help resolve this issue.

In the rear, the lines are fit perfect and there is no issues, so I didn't take pics of them.

EDIT: I see that another company makes a "premium" SS brake line upgrade with OEM type mounting blocks. Obviously this type of mounting block is important to prevent stretching/rubbing.

Last edited by 350ZZJoe; 04-15-2014 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:37 PM
BigBlue

Received 186 Likes on 137 Posts

Thanks for the pics and write up; I'll get under mine tomorrow and inspect, take some pics.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:38 PM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

There is something about the OP’s story I don’t understand. I’ve been told that all brake systems in use over the past 50 or so years have dual circuits in the master cylinder, each one powering two of the four wheel brakes. In the event of a component failure and loss of fluid, the pedal will drop an inch or two (but not to the floor) and still engage two of the four wheels brakes. Usually one front and one rear in a diagonal fashion.

Why did the loss of only one line cause the total loss of all brakes?

Quick Reply: CZP Brake Lines Suck