Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Megan Racing spring swaps

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 06:59 AM
2one8

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Megan Racing spring swaps

I have Megan Racing Spec-RS right now and love how they ride and perform, but I hate the non true type rear. Any slight adjustment to the rear and you have to start from scratch. I have been looking at setups with true type rears and found Megan Racing has their track series and Swift track series that uses a true type rear.

My question is does anyone know if a guy could run the springs and perches from their track series on the rear struts of the Spec-RS? The rear sleeves are threaded all the way up just the same as the fronts are, so I'm assuming they use the same body and sleeves. Spring rates would increase which would be fine I think. I've tried contacting Megan Racing but haven't had any luck yet. Here are the specs from each:

Spec-RS
F: 62mm ID; 200mm length; 12kg/mm
R: 62mm ID; 210mm length; 10kg/mm

DAMPER SPECS:
F: 125mm stroke; 220mm length
R: 125mm stroke; 220mm length

Track Series
F: 62mm ID; 200mm length; 14 kg/mm
R: 62mm ID; 200mm length; 12 kg/mm

DAMPER SPECS:
F: 135mm stroke; 270mm length; A4 X valving code
R: 115mm stroke; 220mm length; A1+ X valving code

Swift Track Series
F: 65mm ID; 203mm length; 12 kg/mm
R: 65mm ID; 203mm length; 12 kg/mm

DAMPER SPECS:
F: 135mm stroke; 270mm length; A4 X valving code
R: 115mm stroke; 220mm length; A1+ X valving code

Last edited by 2one8; 04-22-2014 at 07:01 AM.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:37 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

I have Megan Racing Spec-RS right now and love how they ride and perform, but I hate the non true type rear. Any slight adjustment to the rear and you have to start from scratch. I have been looking at setups with true type rears and found Megan Racing has their track series and Swift track series that uses a true type rear.
please explain ? I have a feeling that you really don't know what your doing, OEM style is simple to work with. It's actually the same as true, preload sets ride heights, shock length sets how much travel you have in each direction
Old 04-22-2014, 12:49 PM
2one8

Unless every source I have searched is wrong, the spring doesnt determine ride height with true type, once you have pre-load set you never have to touch the spring again, then adjust your height using the shock body and sleeve. With a non true type rear you cant set the spring and leave it BECAUSE it determines ride height, so any time you change your ride height, or if you want to add preload, you have to adjust your spring, then adjust your shock to match.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:25 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Set travel with shock length and leave it alone , set height with preload , simple and easy.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:31 PM
Junkster

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Ive found its way easier to adjust height on true type coils, I hate having to drop the spring bucket every time i just have to raise or lower the car...

Thats pretty much the only perk i can see with something as simple as Megan coils. Keep in mind i have the same as OP lol
Old 04-22-2014, 01:40 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

When I had OEM style and do work on cars with OEM style, I just pull the bolt from the shock , that releases the preload on the spring and allows quick adjustment. If SPL wasn't back ordered for 3/4 months when I did my build, I would run OEM style.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:52 PM
Junkster

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak
When I had OEM style and do work on cars with OEM style, I just pull the bolt from the shock , that releases the preload on the spring and allows quick adjustment. If SPL wasn't back ordered for 3/4 months when I did my build, I would run OEM style.
Im pretty sure thats exactly the same thing that i do. your talking about the bolt that goes through the bucket and connects it to the hub or whatever you wana call it lol, i havent been down there in a while, having a hard time picturing it. Works melted my dam brain today
Old 04-23-2014, 05:19 AM
2one8

Set travel with shock length and leave it alone , set height with preload , simple and easy.
Wait what

You shouldnt use preload to adjust ride height, you lose shock travel and will ruin your shocks this way. Every time you change ride height in the rear you have to change your shock length to make up for loss or gained travel. If you dont touch the shock and change height using the spring WITHOUT adjusting the shock length to compensate then you are effectively gaining or losing shock travel which completey defeats the purpose of an actual coil over system.

http://www.meganracing.com/tech/inst...ing%20pre-load

I cant pull he bolts, if I could it would be much easier to set, but I'm running bushings and they fit too tight.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:07 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by 2one8
Wait what

You shouldnt use preload to adjust ride height, you lose shock travel and will ruin your shocks this way. Every time you change ride height in the rear you have to change your shock length to make up for loss or gained travel. If you dont touch the shock and change height using the spring WITHOUT adjusting the shock length to compensate then you are effectively gaining or losing shock travel which completey defeats the purpose of an actual coil over system.

http://www.meganracing.com/tech/inst...ing%20pre-load

I cant pull he bolts, if I could it would be much easier to set, but I'm running bushings and they fit too tight.
The problem with that us most of the travel becomes useless, or non existent. First example is non existent. Set preload, put weight on wheels, spring compresses almost to the bump stop. Wow, you now have little to no up travel. Your suspension is now useless. Second case, you adjust the system "properly " and you have little travel till the chassis hit the ground or suspension parts bottom out , once again, your suspension is useless.

Set your usable travel with shock length , set preload to ride height. Simple and easy. But most people don't seem to like a properly functioning suspension system.