Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

My "low dust" ceramic pads are dusty as f*ck

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 05:30 AM
Phenom
Toasty

Received 1,382 Likes on 990 Posts
Default My "low dust" ceramic pads are dusty as f*ck

I searched and just got a bunch of threads asking about cleaning brake dust and asking which pads are low dust, not so much questioning what normal levels of brake dust are.

I have the akebono bbk with stoptech rotors and centric posi-quiet pads. I like everything about how the brakes perform but damn the front brake dust is bad. I washed the car and wiped down the machined lips of my wheels until they were spotless for a car show. After the wash, I drove a total of about 30-40 miles (75% being highway with no or minimal braking) until I got home to find a noticeable amount of brake dust on the front. When I say noticeable, I mean noticeable to me. A non-car guy probably wouldn't even realize the front lip is slightly darker and dirtier than the rear, but if they were held side by side there was an obvious difference. It was to the point that you could wipe the lip with your finger, your finger will have a black smear on it and there will be an obvious streak where your finger made contact with the wheel.

What's going on? Is that normal after a 35ish mile drive and it's simply a consequence of trimming the dust shield to fit the larger brakes? Or are there pads I should try that have a reputation for being less dusty than the posi-quiet pads?

I bought a container of Mother's wheel wax which I'm planning on putting on within the next week or so. Any chance a good coat of fresh wax will help resist dust from settling on the surface?

Thanks in advance
Old 07-25-2014, 08:52 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

The wax will make the wheels easier to clean, but will not repel dust. Paint wheels dust color? #profit
Old 07-25-2014, 09:32 AM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

Be careful, clean those lips enough and you'll end up scratching them

Just messing around, but on a serious note if you took any clean surface, put it in a place like a wheel well and drove 35 miles I think its virtually impossible to come out squeaky clean.

Maybe pictures will help.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:52 AM
redsx13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buys big brake kit..complains about dust. Do you see the irony in that? I do
Old 09-01-2014, 05:06 PM
Phenom
Toasty

Originally Posted by redsx13
Buys big brake kit..complains about dust. Do you see the irony in that? I do
These pads come in OEM non-BBK applications as well. What does me having a BBK have to do with asking about normal levels of brake dust for non-specific brake pads? You can have this issue with or without a BBK. Starting sh*t over something you don't fully understand. See the irony in that?
Old 09-03-2014, 01:53 AM
bertalert87

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are these the akebono calipers that are offered on the 370's and G's? maybe the bias is off? the posiquiet pads generally dust very little in my experience.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:46 AM
Phenom
Toasty

Originally Posted by bertalert87
are these the akebono calipers that are offered on the 370's and G's? maybe the bias is off? the posiquiet pads generally dust very little in my experience.
Is there any way I can verify whether or not the bias is where it should be? I had a good shop install everything and bleed the brakes, so I trust that nothing was messed up during the install.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:33 AM
beezee

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

I have the akebonos with stoptechs as well. I have hawk hps pads and pleased with them as far as dust levels go.

Last edited by beezee; 09-03-2014 at 09:44 AM.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:53 AM
Junkster

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you checked for uneven pad wear?

I would advise just trying different pads out, from my experience OEM pads usually dust the least but that's just my opinion.