Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Longevity and Repair-ability: Tokico and Bilstein

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 06:24 AM
JMSpeed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Longevity and Repair-ability: Tokico and Bilstein

I know each brand has satisfied customers and are great performers (I'm actually comparing d-spec vs hd), but if if I'm looking to find a good reason to choose one over the other, I thought I could do so comparing their longevity and capability for repair for when they do fail.

In my searches, I've read Bilstein's can last a very long time, and once they end up going they can be repaired for roughly $65 a shock and be back to new again. I couldn't find any comments about tokico that talked about whether they last as long and can be repaired at all.

Could anyone comment or add input that would give any idea how Tokico compares please?

Last edited by JMSpeed; 09-21-2014 at 06:34 AM. Reason: Forgot my question.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:27 AM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

I've installed HD's on two different cars;

Our Magnum RT and my father-in-law's C6 Corvette. The Magnum install was >5 years ago and they still feel great. The Vette was only a year ago.

No experience with Tokico durability.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:56 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

I would swear that Bilstien is lifetime warranty
Old 09-22-2014, 04:10 AM
JMSpeed

Originally Posted by Z1NONLY
I've installed HD's on two different cars;

Our Magnum RT and my father-in-law's C6 Corvette. The Magnum install was >5 years ago and they still feel great. The Vette was only a year ago.

No experience with Tokico durability.
Thank you. I actually remember your comments from another thread, so I'm glad your opinion hasn't changed. Bilstein seems to be tops in this category only because others have had similar opinions. Hard part is getting opinions on Tokico.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:13 AM
JMSpeed

Originally Posted by terrasmak
I would swear that Bilstien is lifetime warranty
I thought this really only applied to a manufacturing defect, and not because they don't last a lifetime. Are you saying it's possible after 50k and these start to fail they'll send you a new set or repair the failed shocks on warranty?
Old 09-22-2014, 05:50 AM
essejd

Tokico is just now starting to distribute again. Zstore tells me it might be till December till they get D-Specs in
Old 09-22-2014, 06:48 AM
JMSpeed

Originally Posted by essejd
Tokico is just now starting to distribute again. Zstore tells me it might be till December till they get D-Specs in
That's a big disincentive. Thanks for pointing that out.
Old 10-04-2014, 05:44 PM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by JMSpeed
I thought this really only applied to a manufacturing defect, and not because they don't last a lifetime. Are you saying it's possible after 50k and these start to fail they'll send you a new set or repair the failed shocks on warranty?

No manufacturer will replace because "the valving is tired." They will replace if the shock is leaky, as an example. Koni is very good about warranty support in that regard and replaced my leaky shocks several times with just about zero hassle. They never once asked me mileage or conditions leading to failure. Then again they knew that this was a pretty common problem at that time.

I dont know about Bilstein specifically however, because I haven't had one leak or otherwise go bad on me yet.

I wouldn't even consider repairability for Tokicos, I would consider them a throw away part. Longevity wise they are fine though. Just once they are done I don't see why you wouldn't just replace considering their cost, at that point you are probably (hopefully?) ready for a more competent damper anyway. After all, the stock shocks are Tokicos anyway (lol).