Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

VDC error after Brembo upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 04:45 AM
zswickliffe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default VDC error after Brembo upgrade

Hey guys, normally I just figure this crap out on my own but I wanted to see if anyone had any insight as to what's going on.

1) Rebuilt Brembos I bought just to be sure seals were good
2) Swapped out my OEM 2005 floating calipers to the OEM Brembos
3) No leaks but took FOREVER to bleed because I let all fluid drain out of lines when I took old calipers off and air got in master cylinder
4) Finally got everything to bleed, pedal feels better than ever, again - no leaks. I've checked everything multiple times over the course of a few weeks
5) Pads and rotors still have a lot of life, 90% maybe
6) Everything was fine for 2~3 days after install
7) Go to start up on cold morning, VDC OFF and SLIP lights come on before moving anywhere, E-Brake was still engaged
8) Been a couple weeks now and VDC is still failing
9) Fluid in reservoir is right at MAX line and has not changed at all (again, no leaks)
10) ABS works fine, BRAKE light is NOT on
11) Unplugged brake fluid level sensor to check connection and there was some brake fluid in the connector

So - there's the run down. My initial thought is that the brake fluid sensor is failing telling the computer that fluid is low and thus shutting down the system. Other than that I have no clue what it could be but I'm open to any ideas.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:51 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Cam sensor maybe

Wheel speed detector

Bad fluid level sensor , easily bypassed to check it out.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:56 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

My guess is a bad wheel speed sensor. Maybe you bumped one during the install, and it's damaged or has a loose connection.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:59 AM
zswickliffe

Wheel speed sensors - remember, the lights came on prior to the car moving at all. I don't think it would register as "bad" if it hadn't moved. Rear wheels register a speed individually btw, haven't checked the fronts yet.

Cam sensor - no SES code was thrown. I thought I read that cam sensor will throw an SES code as well.

Bad Fluid Level Sensor - how to bypass for inspection?
Old 10-09-2014, 10:34 AM
aboveliquidice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dcains
My guess is a bad wheel speed sensor. Maybe you bumped one during the install, and it's damaged or has a loose connection.
Could be this actually. The sensors are damn close to the brake lines, and you will hit the leads with the socket / torque wrench when removing calipers.

I just got done with the brembo swap as well... Mine was a train wreck too. At least you had better luck then I did. Let us know what you find out.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:43 PM
Canada_Z

As Terrasmak said, by pass your fluid level switch. When i was installing my brembos and had just finished bleeding, I turned the car on while it was still on jack stands in the front and the VDC off / SLIP lights came on. Did a quick search and read that happens when the fluid level switch doesn't make. Lowered the car down and started the car again, both lights were off. Good Luck.