Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

better handling no lowering?

Old 10-20-2014, 12:30 PM
dowo12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default better handling no lowering?

After reading many threads how to improve handling everyone is lowering the car. I do not want to lower my z, i just want better handling. I already ordered sway bar. If i bought new shocks and keep oem springs would that affect my handling?
Thank you
Old 10-20-2014, 01:42 PM
cashmoney03

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in the same boat. Car scrapes as it is coming out of the garage. My thought process is that everything can be replaced just like on a lowered car, just may not handle quite as good as a lowered car since the center of gravity is higher. How much I dunno but in theory it works.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:22 PM
kilogram

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Swaybars and depending on your mileage, dampers.

I picked up a set of eibach bars off amazon for $135 the other week. They don't stiffen the car so much as change the balance. The car now feels a tiny bit tighter, but it's very noticeable on corner exit. Turns where I used to have to feed the throttle in to avoid wheelspin now just hook up at full throttle (This is with a Vortech S/C; 275/40/18 rears, 245/40/18 fronts and otherwise stock (and completely worn out) suspension). I have mine set to soft front and medium rear.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:47 PM
350Zdj

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Change out springs not shocks (unless they're blown?)

If you read around here you will find out from the track gurus that you do not necessarily need to lower the car to improve your car's handling.

One of the simplest and effect mod is: just get a set of wider wheels and tires. Many of us prefer the square setup.

Tired and worn suspension bushings also negatively affect your car's handling. Check for old bushings and replace them with polyurethane ones. Refer to the SUSPENSION 101 thread in the suspension tech section.

I have replaced a bunch of bushings and felt good improvement on my car's suspension response
Old 10-21-2014, 05:10 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Originally Posted by 350Zdj
Change out springs not shocks (unless they're blown?)

If you read around here you will find out from the track gurus that you do not necessarily need to lower the car to improve your car's handling.
Shocks are the wear item and have a life of about 60k miles, springs will last 20+ years.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:38 AM
DanQ

Received 227 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Shocks are the wear item and have a life of about 60k miles, springs will last 20+ years.
Would you recommend giving the bushings a "once over" prior to replacing shocks?

My car is in the 60+ range and the handling has gotten vague, but I've attributed it the the Michelin Pilot tread design. I don't know that I'll use them again, but they still have a lot of "tread" left.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:19 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

Originally Posted by DanQ
Would you recommend giving the bushings a "once over" prior to replacing shocks?

My car is in the 60+ range and the handling has gotten vague, but I've attributed it the the Michelin Pilot tread design. I don't know that I'll use them again, but they still have a lot of "tread" left.
Bushings are a harder call, depending on where they are located. Certainly, if you replace the swaybars, do the bushings at the same time (particularly if they're included with the kit). Consider replacing other bushings if they show obvious signs of wear (torn, leaking or easily displaced by hand).

If your Z has over 60K on it, a new set of dampers will help!
Old 10-21-2014, 02:01 PM
DanQ

Originally Posted by dkmura
Bushings are a harder call, depending on where they are located. Certainly, if you replace the swaybars, do the bushings at the same time (particularly if they're included with the kit). Consider replacing other bushings if they show obvious signs of wear (torn, leaking or easily displaced by hand).

If your Z has over 60K on it, a new set of dampers will help!
Cool.

Thanks for the sanity check. This is my first Z, so I have no concept other than what I've read on this Forum of how they "wear".

I'm going to be installing the Z1 undershroud soon, so I'll look everything over closely, and start shopping for some shocks.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:54 PM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

Sway bars are the best bang/buck for changing the car's "balance". (oversteer vs understeer and roll resistance in general)

Koni "yellow" sport shocks greatly improve handling...They also hurt the ride quality though.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:38 PM
DanQ

Originally Posted by Z1NONLY
Sway bars are the best bang/buck for changing the car's "balance". (oversteer vs understeer and roll resistance in general)

Koni "yellow" sport shocks greatly improve handling...They also hurt the ride quality though.
You saw my next question like a psychic

Thanks
Old 10-22-2014, 05:30 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Originally Posted by DanQ

Honestly I would just swap the front LCA bushings when I swapped shocks. The stock design doesn't have that long of a life span.

Shocks, sway bars and the couple bushings, huge improvement.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:36 AM
DanQ

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Honestly I would just swap the front LCA bushings when I swapped shocks. The stock design doesn't have that long of a life span.

Shocks, sway bars and the couple bushings, huge improvement.
Thank you. I trust your input given what I've seen on here. I'll look into those areas here shortly. I don't want to go mod crazy, but if those parts are high wear items I will certainly try to stay on top to preserve resale.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:08 AM
l2frankie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i recently just dropped my car off to get hotchis sway front/rear, godspeed endlink, full whiteline bushing, torque damper, tranny mount. i wouldnt say the car was riding bad but it wasnt the best seeing as i had no bushing in the right rear. sway bars will be set to the middle settings. ill let you know when i get the car back