Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

350z Street Suspension Upgrade (springs and shocks, not coil-over)

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 02:18 AM
RobPhoboS

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

Minute update - THEY ARE AWESOME !
Completely taken away the harshness and have even more control. I'll pop up a full review soon but I'm a happy chappy
Old 03-08-2017, 06:05 AM
RedlineHR

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Wellllll..... I've had had all four suspensions you referenced.

Koni and Bilstein/Eibach on my '03, OEM on both my Nismos (Z33 and Z34).

Be happy to give you a ride in my Koni/Eibach/Hotchkis-equipped '03 (only newer gen Z still owned) and since it sounds like you're here in the South Bay, we could do this just about any time. Let me know, I work from home in San Jose and in Mountain View a few days a week. (Or meet up at the 9/35 junction parking lot.)

Would love to take you up on that offer. I'm here in San Jose as well. Working in Campbell during the week. Sent you a PM...
Old 05-02-2017, 09:19 AM
Tarus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mic, Spike and Rob,

Great thread! So much information here. Learned a great deal from everyone who contributed! I just bought myself a '04 Touring with 91,000 miles. The suspension seems to be going and after reading through I think I am set on the Bilstein B6/Tein S-Techs. One thing that I think I understand but would love cleared up just so I am sure:

Do I need any additional parts in addition to the shocks and springs mentioned?

Thank you for the great thread again!

Tarus
Old 05-02-2017, 09:51 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarus
Mic, Spike and Rob,

Great thread! So much information here. Learned a great deal from everyone who contributed! I just bought myself a '04 Touring with 91,000 miles. The suspension seems to be going and after reading through I think I am set on the Bilstein B6/Tein S-Techs. One thing that I think I understand but would love cleared up just so I am sure:

Tarus
You're welcome.

S'far as additional parts.... generally no.

Things that MIGHT need changing out, upper shock mounts; but at your mileage (and assuming it wasn't used as a rally car at one time ), hardly likely.

Something you likely won't need but good to keep in mind for budget going forward is adjustable alignment gear. FUCA (front upper control arms), rear camber adjustment arms & offset toe bolts.

Any time you lower a car, suspension geometry changes (usually adding camber and toe +/-) but in GENERAL, if lowering less than 1" (such as on S-Techs), your alignment specs, while changed, will still be in the proper alignment range, maybe right at the lower limit of camber or a tad outside but liveable.

Full alignment setup (for your setup) runs ~$450 at the lowend to ~$950 for the gear that's coated with gold (I'm kidding, I just mean the expensive, "good stuff".)

But the thing to do is get your shock/spring setup in and then pay close attention to the post-install alignment - that being a necessity. Then, decide if you need alignment adjustability.
The following 2 users liked this post by MicVelo:
Spike100 (05-03-2017), Tarus (05-02-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 04:16 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Mics reply says it all. --Spike

Originally Posted by Tarus
Mic, Spike and Rob,

Tarus
Old 08-09-2017, 06:00 AM
2005Fairlady

Originally Posted by Spike100
I recently replaced my 2003 350z’s suspension system, upgrading the sway bars, springs, and shocks. Since I do not track my Z, it would be foolish for me to spend $2k to $4k on a coil-over setup with the requirement for additional adjusting arms and other components for camber and alignment.

I decided to go with a “no fuss” non-adjustable setup. The goal was a minimal drop (about 1/2” to avoid a requirement to install camber arms, additional toe adjustment, etc.), progressive springs, and good shocks. I also decided to replace the stock sway bars with something better. Initially my intention was installing the Nismo sway bars along with Nismo JDM shocks and springs (the current JDM Nismo Suspension Kit for350z).

The JDM Nismo shock and spring kit is expensive and it’s difficult finding available kits for purchase. I decided to go with Bilstein shocks and Tein springs with similar specifications as the Nismo setup. I swapped in the following parts: Nismo front and rear sway bars, Bilstein B8 shocks, and Tein S-Tech Springs.

1) Nismo JDM Front and rear Sway Bars (Stabilizer Bars)
Part Number: 54600-RSZ30US

46mm Monotube Shock Absorber, Position: Front Left
Part Number: 24-101561
Series: B8 (SP)

46mm Monotube Shock Absorber, Position: Front Right
Part Number: 24-101578

46mm Monotube Shock Absorber, Position: Rear
Part Number: 24-101585
Drop: Front: -17mm (-0.7”) Rear: -14mm (-0.6’)

Initial Impressions

It’s winter here now and the ground is frozen, so I am unable to push the car for better testing. But, at a level that might be defined as “spirited” street driving, this suspension performs very well.

Appearance is improved, but minimally. The drop is only 0.6”, but it is visually noticeable.

Handling is better. The Nismo sway bars keep the car flat in turns, and the turn-in feels more responsive with less plowing (understeer).

The Tein/Bilstein spring/shock combination work well together. The ride is no more rigid than stock, and in fact feels more comfortable. I tried running a stretch of road that causes my OEM setup to start bouncing and “walking.” The Tein/Bilstein setup kept the tires firmly on the asphalt providing significantly better control.

Unless there is something I haven't encountered yet, this setup is much better than the stock suspension. It's not for everyone since it is not adjustable and has a minimal drop.

=================
EDITS:
MicVelo’s message #64 is a great addition to this thread.
Do you know if those shocks work for the touring and base models? for the front ones when i search on autoanything.com i got part # Part #: 24-118927 front left - Part #: 24-118934 front right - Part #: 24-118941 for rear.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:14 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by 2005Fairlady
Do you know if those shocks work for the touring and base models? for the front ones when i search on autoanything.com i got part # Part #: 24-118927 front left - Part #: 24-118934 front right - Part #: 24-118941 for rear.
All shocks and all springs work on all year Zs '03-'08 USDM.
Old 07-05-2018, 03:26 AM
Nick Ketelaar

Default B14 Coils vs Setups You've discussed

Hi i just got my car eirlier this year and i read alot of these posts and i was planning on going with the same setup as you posted Mic or the b12 pro kit but a set of b14 coilovers just popped up in my area for 400 so i am seriously considering these but i cant find much info on them i believe my stocks are shot car has 122k on it and the ride seems rough as hell i know its a sports car but im pretty sure there shot lol. Any pros or cons that i may need to think about im running 19? in rims on 285/35/19s in the rear and right now, This last weekend we took a trip to chicago about 500 miles round trip and at the splits in the road on the highway it will damn near send you out of ur seat so that was kinda the final straw that i need to replace these asap! I also think i need to do possibly new sway bar or bushings possibly the car seems to have alot of body roll but im not sure if that would just be the shocks? Just wanted to get your guys thoughts on the b14/b12s and if i guess im headed in the right direction with replacing the shocks and or anything else i should look into! Thanks appreciate you reading it~!
Old 07-07-2018, 12:56 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

^^ Either version of the Bilstein shock will serve you well.

If you are past 120k miles on your car, you should definitely consider replacing the vehicle’s bushings. Your first concern should be the front suspension components because these receive the most use. After that consider the frame and rear components. You never make a mistake replacing bushings in your car; qhen you do this you see significant improvements.