Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

350z Street Suspension Upgrade (springs and shocks, not coil-over)

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 08:52 AM
RobPhoboS

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Looks good Rob, give us a report on how the work for you. Pretty good price! Jeesh, that's only about $240 USD! Compare that to SPC or SPL, whoa!
Hopefully they are ok, I was going to go with the Kinetix arms but these look pretty good as well and AFAIK used on their own track/drift cars.

Since MicV mentioned his alignment settings, here are my ones and you'll see why I want to get adjustable ones (I want to be around -1.5 on the fronts):

Name:  IMAG0499_zpsft9qgpsh.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  59.0 KB

Awesome thread
Old 03-02-2015, 12:46 PM
CJs_Z33

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RobPhoboS
Hopefully they are ok, I was going to go with the Kinetix arms but these look pretty good as well and AFAIK used on their own track/drift cars.

Since MicV mentioned his alignment settings, here are my ones and you'll see why I want to get adjustable ones (I want to be around -1.5 on the fronts):

Awesome thread
Looks like you need to replace your compression rod bushing to fix that caster. And why the big difference in camber up front? Is your fuca bent?

Last edited by CJs_Z33; 03-02-2015 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:16 PM
RobPhoboS

Originally Posted by CJs_Z33
Looks like you need to replace your compression rod bushing to fix that caster. And why the big difference in camber up front? Is your fuca bent?
The compression rod bushing is a Superpro (caster adjust), the rest are all Prothane.
Nothing bent (as far as we know) but it's odd for sure, hopefully the new arms will have it sorted out
(that caster adjust will be taken out, adjusted slightly to match)
Old 03-02-2015, 11:18 PM
CJs_Z33

Well here's mine. Im lowered 1.5" front and 1.7" rear on H&R Coilovers.

Name:  20150303_000955.jpg
Views: 790
Size:  51.6 KB

I have some whiteline compression rod bushings i still need to install. That should correct my toe. And I have a set of SPC rear camber arms that i need to install so i can match the camber up front. Gonna run -2 degrees of camber all around.

Name:  20150223_142214.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  32.2 KB

Last edited by CJs_Z33; 03-02-2015 at 11:39 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:16 AM
zerofighter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CJs_Z33
Well here's mine. Im lowered 1.5" front and 1.7" rear on H&R Coilovers.

I have some whiteline compression rod bushings i still need to install. That should correct my toe. And I have a set of SPC rear camber arms that i need to install so i can match the camber up front. Gonna run -2 degrees of camber all around.

What is your wheel size and offset?
Old 03-03-2015, 12:17 PM
CJs_Z33

Originally Posted by zerofighter
What is your wheel size and offset?
18x9.5 +15 squared with a 10mm spacer on the rear. Running arp extended studs too. tires are 245/40 f 245/45 r. Rear fenders rolled.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:56 AM
RobPhoboS

Looks good Rob, give us a report on how the work for you. Pretty good price! Jeesh, that's only about $240 USD! Compare that to SPC or SPL, whoa!
I've just ordered the camber arms, and a handy camber tool to help me get them approximately set up
(I'll get them checked on the hunter kit again anyway)

Apart from the price, this is also what sold it to me:
'12 month bearing warranty and lifetime warranty against arm failure'

So hopefully I'll report back soon regarding that, and the Eibach sway bars next week.

THEN - hopefully I'm done !
Old 03-05-2015, 07:29 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

I've just ordered the camber arms, and a handy camber tool to help me get them approximately set up
(I'll get them checked on the hunter kit again anyway)

Apart from the price, this is also what sold it to me:
'12 month bearing warranty and lifetime warranty against arm failure'

So hopefully I'll report back soon regarding that, and the Eibach sway bars next week.

THEN - hopefully I'm done !
BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZTTTTTT!!!

Right, Rob. Uh huh...... I represent the sellers of the following property, might you be interested in making an offer old chap?

Trust me on the fallacy of the "I'm done" statement. Thought I was done with my Z33, then another "project" comes along. Aww, cr*p.......

....but good cr*p.

Mic
Old 03-05-2015, 07:52 AM
RobPhoboS

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZTTTTTT!!!

Right, Rob. Uh huh...... I represent the sellers of the following property, might you be interested in making an offer old chap?

Trust me on the fallacy of the "I'm done" statement. Thought I was done with my Z33, then another "project" comes along. Aww, cr*p.......

....but good cr*p.

Mic

Yes, I thought that might be the case.
I can leave it for a while though, at least chassis wise.
Since I'm not able to do many track days, I guess I won't be 'needing' to update much more on that front. (although the Nurburgring will be beckoning)

Of course I want to do headers and cams
(purely as I've not done that on one of my cars before)
Old 03-05-2015, 02:20 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Yes, I thought that might be the case.
I can leave it for a while though, at least chassis wise.
Since I'm not able to do many track days, I guess I won't be 'needing' to update much more on that front. (although the Nurburgring will be beckoning)

Of course I want to do headers and cams
(purely as I've not done that on one of my cars before)
A word on cams and headers....

Yes, they offer increased performance - if carefully chosen with the right complementary components and done correctly.

I've not delved into any engine/exhaust mods on any of my current Z cars - instead choosing to utilize the not-so-bad power out-of-the-box stock. However, my "cam and header background" does includes Chevy mouse motors, many modified Datsun/Nissans (cammed S30s, Solex carb'd and cammed U-20) etc.

Biggest mistake people make is camming up and increasing exhaust flow without considering what the car is truly intended for. If you're racing long tracks (Hello, Nurburgring!) and need high end power for the long straightaway pulls, great. But if you're intending to keep the car on the street for the most part, be ready for trade-offs. On computer controlled cars (what isn't these days?), lean mixtures, possible loss of low end torque (which street driving needs a lot of), irregular idle, thrown codes, etc.

Other thing that I've seen FAR too much of is novice modifiers not taking into consideration the associated need (or at least a wishlist item) to gear down the final drive ratio (higher numerically) to take advantage of the increased engine breathing. If you're ******* the stock 3.54s at the traffic lights due to mods, it's probably a good idea to consider going to 3.90s.

BUT there's a tradeoff with that too. Higher freeway revs, lower mileage, a little more wear and tear overall, yadda yadda yadda.

Anyhow, not trying to discourage you or anyone from trying out new mods but these considerations are too drastic to ignore. To turn a "just fine running" car into an unmanageable beast on the street just ain't no fun.

Ask me how I know.....

Nothing new here, just needed to say it.

Mic
Old 03-05-2015, 03:03 PM
RobPhoboS

Actually that's a good reminder that I started looking at a few weeks ago, 4.09 fd (or 3.9) and a quiafe atb diff.
Id do that prior to the tomei parts.

Apologies for slightly going off topic.
My main aim is the chassis, and I'm hoping to be very close by next weekend.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:10 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

^^ Rob, I'm looking forward to your next report. I'm taking information from you and Mic (he also has a report) for my next project (after I buy new wheels to take full advantage of my recently installed suspension).

Last edited by Spike100; 03-05-2015 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:36 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Spike100
^^ Rob, I'm looking forward to your next report. I'm taking information from you and Mic (he also has a report) for my next project (after I buy new wheels to take full advantage of my recently installed suspension).
I dunno, Spike, I really like your suspension set-up. Effective with measurable gains in handling performance. I suspect that any further changes would offer only very modest gains in performance, certainly not justifying the expense.

If not for my son's need for shocks, I'd've never switched over to Konis. Not regretting at all, just an economic truism. But the good news is that I (and others interested) now know the difference. That is, either shocks are great.

I took my new toy out for a "test session" this morning to establish a baseline and make some objective comparisons with my Koni, Bilstein setups as well as comparison to my wife's winged carp (370 Nemo).

Ummmm, if I'da bought the new one before doing suspension on my Silver Z, I probably wouldn't have done anything to the suspension OR would have RUSHED to get it done to keep up with the new one. Out of the box, the Nismo's suspension... JUST. WORKS. Phew....

Lots of other things to get used to in the car like clutch action, steering feel, ride differences, etc. But on the first run was at least as fast as my Silver car.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:01 PM
Spike100

^^ Mic... I get what you are saying. It's just that I have some extra dough to waste and am interested testing some other configurations. I think you and I are afflicted with the same "disease" (too much $$ and too much time).
Old 03-05-2015, 06:19 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

^^ Mic... I get what you are saying. It's just that I have some extra dough to waste and am interested testing some other configurations. I think you and I are afflicted with the same "disease" (too much $$ and too much time).
Word. (Although don't know about that "too much $$" business....)

By the way, remember I mentioned my tires (since you're in the market for wheels and tires), the Sumitomo HTRZ-3s? My follow-up: still sticky and responsive as all get-out but they ARE starting to get noisier. Nothing horrific and NOTHING near the BFG-somethings that were on my Track wheels originally. THOSE were so bad I chucked 'em after a day! Gave them away to a friend.

What kind of wheels are you looking into?
Old 03-05-2015, 06:37 PM
Spike100

[...]...What kind of wheels are you looking into?
Enkei
Old 03-06-2015, 07:03 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Enkei
Nice. RPF-1s are very light and the only one I'd consider if I were going aftermarket after running my ultra light Track V.1s. The entire "Enkei Racing" line is all pretty light. Enkei Tuning, still pretty light (~21# dep on size). The other ones, "Performance" or something like that are just average weight (~24#).

I have a set of these sitting in my garage (came with my car)....

Howzat perspective? Size 10.5s versus da monster whills.

Debating on whether I want to put them on one of our cars. Only reason to put them on the Z33 Nismo is to "preserve" the original wheels that are shod with OEM spec tires (Bridgestone RE050s) so I might do that - all in the name of preserving the future collector value. Haha.

Might sell 'em though... I'd have to go conservative on rubber to avoid any fender mods. Ehhhhh, not on that car, thanks.

Have fun shopping!!

Mic
Old 03-06-2015, 07:58 AM
RobPhoboS

Beautiful wheels man.
I'd love a new set one day, I like the 18" Rays, just need to be resprayed a darker gunmetal colour. The only thing is, I'd love another set just to visually be flush with the body work now but I won't do spacers as they seem to ruin the handling (apparently, I don't know myself).
Old 03-06-2015, 01:46 PM
Spike100

Mic… Those wheels look like Enkei Tuning Series Raijin wheels. I think 9.5” is the maximum width in this model. It is available in an aggressive 15mm offset.

I am looking at the Enkei Tuning Series Tenjin wheels. My preference is based in the look Porsche adopted in the late 80’s and early 90’s for the 911. Porsche had a wheel option with black spokes and a polished rim. The Tenjin provides a similar look.

You can also choose spokes that are grey gunmetal.

I have a Redline 350z that I think will look good with the Tenjin wheels (either the black spokes or the gunmetal spokes). I am considering:
  • Front 18x8.5” 25mm offset
  • Rear 18x9.5” 15mm offset.

The Enkei Racing series is lighter than the Tuning series, but The Tuning wheels are not heavy by any means. I think it is wise to compliment a suspension upgrade with quality wheels whose weight takes advantage of high-end springs and shocks.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:04 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Mic… Those wheels look like Enkei Tuning Series Raijin wheels. I think 9.5” is the maximum width in this model. It is available in an aggressive 15mm offset.

I am looking at the Enkei Tuning Series Tenjin wheels. My preference is based in the look Porsche adopted in the late 80’s and early 90’s for the 911. Porsche had a wheel option with black spokes and a polished rim. The Tenjin provides a similar look.

You can also choose spokes that are grey gunmetal.

I have a Redline 350z that I think will look good with the Tenjin wheels (either the black spokes or the gunmetal spokes). I am considering:
  • Front 18x8.5” 25mm offset
  • Rear 18x9.5” 15mm offset.

The Enkei Racing series is lighter than the Tuning series, but The Tuning wheels are not heavy by any means. I think it is wise to compliment a suspension upgrade with quality wheels whose weight takes advantage of high-end springs and shocks.
Totally agree that lighter, stronger wheels go hand-in-hand with suspension. Also just a good upgrade all around, mods or no mods.

I like your choices and yes, recall the Porsche look back then. Any of those you choose will look and perform great!

Wheels I have are Linea Corse LC818 Hypersilver. 19x9.5 +15, 19x11 +20 so they'll fit my car no problem. Just not sure I want to do it. Getting to love the look of the stock Nismos (even though I didn't like them before.)

First wash under my ownership.

Why no, it's not snowing here, why??

Yeah yeah, I'm an evil bast**d. Tell me something everyone doesn't already know.

Quick Reply: 350z Street Suspension Upgrade (springs and shocks, not coil-over)