Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

350z Street Suspension Upgrade (springs and shocks, not coil-over)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 12:23 PM
Unbootable

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spike100,

Do you have any pics of how your car sits on the B8s & Tein S-Tech ???

Thanks,
Old 03-28-2015, 01:40 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

I have ordered Enkei Tenjin Tuning Wheels (18x8.5” and 18x9.5”) along with 245/40-18” and 275-40-18” tires. I should have them in a couple of weeks; I’ll post some picks showing the drop and the fitment.

Originally Posted by Unbootable
Spike100,

Do you have any pics of how your car sits on the B8s & Tein S-Tech ???

Thanks,

Last edited by Spike100; 03-30-2015 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Changed "8" to "18" on wheel size.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:12 AM
RobPhoboS

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo
I've said it before but I think it's kind of unnatural the warm feeling I get when the UPS or FedEx driver drops off a new box of Z goodies... Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh..... just like Christmas morning. Heh heh.

What's your intended initial set-up on the bars going to be (or "what is" by the time you read this. )

My usual warning to people making changes (and I know y'all already know this but I gotta say it anyways):

Be careful on your initial testing of any mods. Car will behave differently than you are used to. Start at reduced speeds and lower your usual adrenaline fueled inputs until you get used to how the car now steers, grips, loses adhesion - and most importantly, after making sure you buttoned everything up correctly. Then, after re-acclimating to the car and your sway bars didn't fall off , as Emeril LaGasse says, "Kick it up a notch!"

Fun times!

Cheers!

Mic

Hey Mic !

You're right, I had already fitted it and driven off before I had a chance to read this
However I just followed what the UK guys advised which is soft on the front, mid in the rear, this feels pretty neutral to me although I think I should have a play, try different settings to see how it really feels.
I'm just on non-adjustable droplinks at the moment but the angles seemed ok to me, I'll try and get a pic up.

I like the 380RS pedal as well, 1 min to fit
Next up... after doing the rocker cover grommets, short shifter (B&M I think). I had the pleasure of driving an NSX yesterday, now I want a short shifter
Old 03-31-2015, 08:35 PM
818dbz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would also love to see the b8 tein stech combo
Old 04-01-2015, 12:55 AM
Lug

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thread!

It has inspired me to upgrade my suspension. I had my eye on Bilstein B16 Pss10 coilovers, but it seems like a waste of money for me. Seems like the Bilstein B12 Pro Kit is the smart choice for my driving style.

Here's what's on my shopping list so far:

Bilstein B12 Pro-Kit Front and Rear (tirerack.com $889.00)
Hotchkis Sport Suspension Sport Anti-Roll Bars Front and Rear (tirerack.com $333.00)

SPC 350z/G35 Ft Upper Control Arm Front (tirerack.com $494.00), Or Cusco Upper Control Arms (Forged Performance $469.00)
SPC Nissan/Infiniti Rear Camber Kit (tirerack.com $182.00), Or Eibach Rear Camber Arms (z1 performance $192.00)

Stock Endlinks? I was thinking powergrid, but If they aint needed I'll stick with stock.

Question: Do I need the SPC/Cusco control arms, and endlinks if I'm running the B12 Pro Kit? They were needed for the Koni's after they were broken in. Will the same happen to the B12 Pro kit?

Last edited by Lug; 04-01-2015 at 02:07 AM.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:37 PM
kilogram

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Lug
Seems like the Bilstein B12 Pro Kit is the smart choice for my driving style.
Better get on the waiting list. They're not easy to come by as they typically ship from Bilstein with a 12-16 week lead time. I ordered one back in October and am still waiting. Bilstein says they have 6 sets incoming in the next month, I'm really hoping one is mine. Still waiting on confirmation of that too, heh.

AJUSA currently has the best price on them and is an authorized distributor so you won't have to go through a third party like Turn 14 the way most vendors do. I think that's where mine got lost....
Old 04-01-2015, 03:23 PM
Lug

Originally Posted by kilogram
Better get on the waiting list. They're not easy to come by as they typically ship from Bilstein with a 12-16 week lead time. I ordered one back in October and am still waiting. Bilstein says they have 6 sets incoming in the next month, I'm really hoping one is mine. Still waiting on confirmation of that too, heh.

AJUSA currently has the best price on them and is an authorized distributor so you won't have to go through a third party like Turn 14 the way most vendors do. I think that's where mine got lost....
Bilstein B12 Pro Kit 03 350z touring (AJUSA $791.66) That is a great price, but waiting since last October... tell me your pulling my leg.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:58 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by Lug
Bilstein B12 Pro Kit 03 350z touring (AJUSA $791.66) That is a great price, but waiting since last October... tell me your pulling my leg.
He's not kidding. I was trying to order the B12 ProKit for my kid's car and after finding out the wait time was 3 months, changed it up and gave him my 18 month old 'Steins and just ordered the Eibach springs separate for him. (I switched to Konis on my '03)

Trust me, I called around about a dozen places. Same story everywhere. None in stock at distributors.

You might also try any of our supporting vendors for other stuff though. I have used several of them to source parts to feed our cars. Great folks.

Example: Your price or the SPC gear from TR was $676. ZSpeed has them for $565 F&R set plus shipping but you still save ~$75 or so. Ask me how I know this... heh heh. Aww heck, I'll tell you...

Re your question on adjustable alignment.... I installed the B12 ProKit setup and found that I initially didn't need the adjustability as my alignment specs were within range with the minimal drop. But, after 18 mos., noted small changes in handling that couldn't be tire pressure deviation as I originally suspected. Checked alignment and it was off a bit (more negative than I wanted) so I opted for SPC UCA and camber arms - F&R respectively - when I got the Konis swapped in for the Bilsteins. Glad I did. The full drop of the springs (still not that much... 0.6") threw alignment out. Nothing that wasn't livable, just slightly out of range but I wanted it done right. As much as I love shopping for tires, a grand for a set to replace PREVENTABLE worn tires isn't fun.

Bottom line: If you're worried about budget (and you should be), you can put on the shocks/springs and CHECK alignment to determine if you need them.

Mic

Last edited by MicVelo; 04-01-2015 at 04:10 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:15 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Spike100
I have ordered Enkei Tenjin Tuning Wheels (18x8.5” and 18x9.5”) along with 245/40-18” and 275-40-18” tires. I should have them in a couple of weeks; I’ll post some picks showing the drop and the fitment.
Whoa! How'd I miss this development!? Congrats, Spike, nice set-up.

What tires? I'm just starting to ask around as I'm starting to look at tires again- this time for the Nismo. Getting down there close to the wear bars. Probably drive 'em down to below minimum depth to see how they stick.

Mic
Old 04-01-2015, 04:38 PM
Spike100

I don’t know what it is about these suspension kits that require 3 or 4 months lead time. I looked at the Bilstein B12 Suspension Kit and quickly disregarded it because of the horrible delivery lag. The same was true for the JDM Nismo S-Tune Suspension Kit that was on backorder for a very long time (months).

Buying a suspension “kit” is an attractive option because you get components (springs and shocks) tested together by the company manufacturing or “mating” components. The truth is you can easily do this yourself with minimal research. The specifications are standardized and easily compared.

That’s when I decided the best solution is ordering springs and shocks separately. Actually this has the advantage of doing my own match, based upon my requirements and preferences. My initial decision was a moderate drop (0.6”) with a progressive spring (for ride comfort), but a shock that would allow twice that drop (different springs with more drop) if I decide later I want more drop. The setup I chose allows the moderate drop, but supports more drop if I want this in the future.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:28 PM
Spike100

Uhhh… Ohhh…

Mic, I was hoping no one would ask about my tires past the sizes. Why? Because I am running A/S tires (Continental Extreme Contact DWS).

I went away from summer performance tires a few years ago, for a couple of reasons.
  1. Seasons in Minnesota overlap ridiculously (we had snow in April and May last year). If you mount performance tires in Minnesota, you will probably have trouble at the beginning and the end of the season. One of the worst snow storms in Minnesota was in October. I get two more months on my summer tires (and more importantly, 2 months less on my snow tires) if I go with A/S tires.

2. Summer performance tires are too expensive, wear too quickly, and are noisy. If you do not track your car, you have little need for summer performance tires.

There are some very good summer performance tires (Michelin being my favorite), but owners running on the street only (and not tracking their cars) may want to choose a tire that costs less, weighs less, lasts a lot longer, is more comfortable, runs more quietly, and works in various weather conditions.

Whoa! How'd I miss this development!? Congrats, Spike, nice set-up.

What tires? I'm just starting to ask around as I'm starting to look at tires again- this time for the Nismo. Getting down there close to the wear bars. Probably drive 'em down to below minimum depth to see how they stick.

Mic
Old 04-01-2015, 06:29 PM
kilogram

Originally Posted by Lug
Nope, not kidding. Had too much other stuff to do to get it installed anyway though so I don't mind waiting. Finishing my bbk design was a higher priority. Now that it's done, I can start focusing on other stuff..
Old 04-01-2015, 06:30 PM
kilogram

Uhhh… Ohhh…

Mic, I was hoping no one would ask about my tires past the sizes. Why? Because I am running A/S tires (Continental Extreme Contact DWS).

I went away from summer performance tires a few years ago, for a couple of reasons.
Didn't realize you were in MN. We lived in Robbinsdale until 2012 when we moved here. Wish I'd gotten to know more of the Z crowd when we were there (bought ours new in 04). I was an MR2 guy back then though..

I miss opus.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:52 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by kilogram
Didn't realize you were in MN. We lived in Robbinsdale until 2012 when we moved here. Wish I'd gotten to know more of the Z crowd when we were there (bought ours new in 04). I was an MR2 guy back then though..

I miss opus.
I'm not good at mixing into the Z community either. I'm busy working and driving my Z to golf courses.

Car clubs are fun though. You learn a lot and gain a greater appreciation for your vehicle.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:46 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Uhhh… Ohhh…

1. Seasons in Minnesota overlap ridiculously (we had snow in April and May last year). If you mount performance tires in Minnesota, you will probably have trouble at the beginning and the end of the season. One of the worst snow storms in Minnesota was in October. I get two more months on my summer tires (and more importantly, 2 months less on my snow tires) if I go with A/S tires.

2. Summer performance tires are too expensive, wear too quickly, and are noisy. If you do not track your car, you have little need for summer performance tires.

There are some very good summer performance tires (Michelin being my favorite), but owners running on the street only (and not tracking their cars) may want to choose a tire that costs less, weighs less, lasts a lot longer, is more comfortable, runs more quietly, and works in various weather conditions.
NOTHING wrong with modern All Seasons, particularly in places where one gets "real seasons" unlike us out here on the left coast. Most "normal" people I know here run A/S tires because of all of the reasons you cited.

In my situation (where we own far too many cars.... "two daily drivers and three unnecessary-but-for-fun-so-what-the-heck spares" heh heh), I can put summer tires on the Z's and run 'em all year 'round because our weather rarely changes and they stay in the garage if the weather even LOOKS suspect. And when we do get some liquid sunshine, our AWD (also not needed but they came that way) cars get the call to duty.

However, the Contis you are running are pretty much the state-of-the-art with a very good performance/$$ ratio. Next tires on my Volvo - when and if - will be those.

But gotta tell ya.... we need to end this da*m drought here in Cali cuz washing cars with a guilty conscience is getting pretty old!

Yep, could surely use more of this...

Had high hopes of this storm putting a dent in our water reserves... 4.5" of rain in one day did a disappointing NOTHING. Sigh....

Mic

Last edited by MicVelo; 04-02-2015 at 06:47 AM.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:00 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

I'm not good at mixing into the Z community either. I'm busy working and driving my Z to golf courses.

Car clubs are fun though. You learn a lot and gain a greater appreciation for your vehicle.
Golf courses.... Do you know that there's a tutorial that came with my Nismo showing the "proper way of fitting two full golf bags" into it? Hahahaha! I don't remember where I saw it, maybe in the literature pack that came with the car but I LMAO when I saw it. "Hmmmm, now that there is a useless bit of trivia for ME! I'm driving MY hobby."

Back in the days when S30s were "the modern Z car", used to do a lot of events with ZONC (Z Owners Northern California) but haven't attended a single event in the last few years of Z-ownership ("The Sequel"). Even when we went to the SCCA Runoffs last October, we flew solo, despite a caravan of Z's in attendance.

I gotta get out with the clubs more often.... but like you, too busy with other things.

Mic
Old 04-02-2015, 07:59 AM
kilogram

Golf courses.... Do you know that there's a tutorial that came with my Nismo showing the "proper way of fitting two full golf bags" into it?
My Z has a decal on the underside of the trunk that shows this. Unfortunately, I don't golf. People get hurt.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:25 PM
Spike100

Fitting two sets of clubs into the back was a requirement when I bought the Z. I loved the car, but was sold on it when I noticed the sticker kilogram mentions.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:29 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Fitting two sets of clubs into the back was a requirement when I bought the Z. I loved the car, but was sold on it when I noticed the sticker kilogram mentions.
Ahh, yes, maybe that's where I've seen it.

Can't fit 'em in my Niz anymore.... P.O. laid a sub-box in the cargo area. Z'OK though, I can still get my groceries in....

No, I'm not in trouble with my wife; why do you ask?
Old 04-02-2015, 04:00 PM
Lug

Thanks for the replies guys. I pulled the trigger on the B12 Pro kit from ajusa.com for $791.66. The price is just to good to pass up.

also bought

Hotchkis Sport Suspension Sport Anti-Roll Bars Front and Rear (tirerack.com $333.00)
Cusco Upper Control Arms (Forged Performance $469.00)
SPC Nissan/Infiniti Rear Camber Kit (zspeed $152.00)
Powergrid Endlinks front and rear (ebay $320)

Last edited by Lug; 04-03-2015 at 07:38 PM.

Quick Reply: 350z Street Suspension Upgrade (springs and shocks, not coil-over)