Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

'03-05 Guys, you NEED 06+ Brakes. Now.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:14 AM
kilogram

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by royax
I'm always Amazed how Nissan jokes with the US-Models and let you drive with these Toy-Brakes
The standard models are parts-bin brake systems that share components with several other platforms. For example, the early Z uses the same rear rotors as the Rogue, Juke, and Leaf. Same rear calipers as Murano and Quest.

FWIW, the later G35/37 sedan with sport brakes uses 330mm rotors front and rear. The rear calipers are bolt-on (all the G/Z rear stuff is interchangeable), and the fronts should fit with Akebono brackets since they're designed for the newer upright. This will get you cheap std. style brakes that are bigger than OEM Brembos. The sport rears actually pair pretty well with the standard 06+ fronts, and I believe the caliper body is the same between all the models, only the mounting bracket changes, so you could run the 43mm caliper body you already have on the larger bracket with the 330mm rear rotor with a bias about equal to the OEM brembo setup (67.5/32.5) or run the smaller 38mm sport caliper body for about a 72/28 bias, which might be better suited to running at the track with the ABS disabled...

Originally Posted by DarkZ03
I like it, the red stuff pads are nice. I haven't really needed to do any hard braking at high speed yet, but I feel they are nice for city driving.
Redstuffs are good street pads, but they disintegrate rapidly when very hot. They work well on lighter cars. They worked well on my SW20T, but they're about 500lbs lighter than a Z33.

I've had mixed results with EBC stuff. I had slotted EBCs/redstuffs on the Z back in 07 or so, and the friction face basically rusted itself off after about 3 years of service and chewed the pads pretty quickly. The O'Reilly specials I've had on the car since then have held up much better. It's worth noting that I used to live in Minneapolis, and the car was daily driven year round.

Originally Posted by DarkZ03
Definitely bites harder.
As well it should, there's a 25% increase in piston area on the front calipers with the later models, as well as an 8% increase in lever arm with the larger rotor. This means ~33% more brake torque per unit of pedal force, so they will feel like they "bite" harder. This is the psychological effect that makes a lot of people assume a brake system stops faster, when it really doesn't make much difference if any.

It does have the potential to have more of an "ice mode" feel when the ABS kicks in though- like the ABS computer just kicked your foot off the pedal. Reason being the ABS ECU reduces braking torque significantly more when it bleeds off a set amount of pressure due to the greater pressure-torque relationship. Whether this is a concern is up to the individual user.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:52 PM
royax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kilogram
The standard models are parts-bin brake systems that share components with several other platforms. For example, the early Z uses the same rear rotors as the Rogue, Juke, and Leaf. Same rear calipers as Murano and Quest.
And that are Thoughs i can't understand. I would love to see someone doing an emergency Brake with these little things on the Highway from 250 to 120 because a slow *** pulled in front of you.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:24 PM
kilogram

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

And that are Thoughs i can't understand. I would love to see someone doing an emergency Brake with these little things on the Highway from 250 to 120 because a slow *** pulled in front of you.
It's a cost saving measure. They perform perfectly well for a single stop- maybe even two- from triple digit speeds, which is the practical limit most of these cars will see. You could probably even track them somewhat effectively with expensive pads and tons of ducting. They designed a track version specifically for people who wanted to push the car harder though.

Many automotive engineering decisions nowadays are heavily influenced by accountants. It's what's been driving GM into the ground since the 1980s.

Last edited by kilogram; 01-06-2015 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:12 AM
92K1500

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I had to slow down enough to make a 90* turn from 155mph in I'm guessing about 1/4 mile once in the Z. I tried to gear down as much as possible to keep from getting the brakes too hot and to help slow the car down faster.

It got the job done but the rotors were nice and blue and the brakes were letting off a delicious smell.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:04 AM
royax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 92K1500
I had to slow down enough to make a 90* turn from 155mph in I'm guessing about 1/4 mile once in the Z. I tried to gear down as much as possible to keep from getting the brakes too hot and to help slow the car down faster.

It got the job done but the rotors were nice and blue and the brakes were letting off a delicious smell.
Glad you made it, but that's exactly what i was thinking when i saw these brakes.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:12 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

I guarantee the brakes will work better than the rear wheels to slow you down, heat management is for repeated stops. Brakes cool down fast , not worth trying to save them for a single stop
Old 01-07-2015, 02:26 PM
92K1500

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, I didn't know if I was gonna have to run or if I would be able to get hidden in time so I downshifted while using some heavy braking to get slowed enough to make the turn and I was back in the throttle. It was on some small backwoods country roads so I couldn't hang the corner at high speed.

I was on a 3 mile long stretch of brand new perfectly flat blacktop so I figured I would top the car out and almost got caught. Gotta love the stupid things you do when you're a teenager.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:23 PM
DarkCreep

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

That rear rotor looks way too big for that caliper.

Is it all just bolt on stuff? I've always thought the 03-05 brakes looked awful tiny. Especially with my new wheels. But I just put all new brakes (rotors and pads) all the way around not too long ago. So I wont be replacing them again for quite some time.
Bigger rotor = more braking surface

Yeah it was all bolt on. I did have to bend the rear heat shield a bit since the rotors are bigger but besides that no modification.
03-05 brakes do look hideous behind aftermarket wheels which was my main reasoning besides wanting the upgrade.

Originally Posted by travlee
even the fronts look small.... whats up with that Dark?
I dunno bad pic? In person they look a lot bigger and better behind the 18" OE wheels I have.
Originally Posted by Waiz
Good writeup OP

I was originally planning on doing this to my '04 but I ended up going with the Brembo setup instead since I was offered a deal I could not pass up
Oh of course Id rather have Brembos! But at the price I did this upgrade for, I also could not pass it up.
I'm always Amazed how Nissan jokes with the US-Models and let you drive with these Toy-Brakes
lol right?

To be honest, my 03 05 brakes worked great even when I had to slam on them for emergency situations. They were just ugly.
Originally Posted by travlee
i will snap pics of mine a little later today....
Cool post them up!

I would have just slammed on the brakes haha.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:42 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkCreep

Cool post them up!
sold the car since i posted this... will see if i can dig up a pic of the wheel
Old 02-27-2015, 10:32 PM
Z33KLF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice write up