Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

'03 non-brembo upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 05:24 PM
damonchoy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '03 non-brembo upgrades?

Hey guys,

I have an 03 non-brembo and am thinking about upgrading the brakes. In my experience with taking the Z to the track this Summer the most disappointing part was the braking, which didn't feel like it had much bite and it faded rather quickly.

When I bought the car the previous owner gave me brand new Girodisc (1-piece, sadly) slotted rear rotors and Girodisk Magic street pads all around. All I'm missing to install everything are new front rotors.

So, I'm in search of a set of front rotors to upgrade to. My Z does everything from take me to and back from school, to the occasional track day, to a lot of destionationless drives in the back roads. I'm okay with spending a fair amount since all I need to buy are the front rotors as I have everything else.

Ideally I'd like for the rotors to also be slotted to match the rears, and ideally I'd like them to perhaps be an upgrade over the stock ones in terms of performance on the track.

Any ideas?
Old 01-04-2015, 07:47 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Just get autozone or whatever off the shelf rotors. The braking performance on track will come from pads, and not the pads you currently have.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:27 PM
JMII

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by damonchoy
In my experience with taking the Z to the track this Summer the most disappointing part was the braking, which didn't feel like it had much bite and it faded rather quickly.
Same here!

Did you put racing brake fluid in? The stock DOT3 stuff boils very quickly at the track. Thus brake "fade", the pedal gets soft and then you can't stop! I now run Motul RBF 600.

Next put in stainless steel lines, the factory rubber ones flex when they get hot. Then look into better pads. This is level I'm current at.

After that people will recommend moving up to the Brembos or the 06+ brakes because they are bigger. Or just bite the bullet, spend money and go aftermarket with a BBK (big brake kit).

From what I've gathered the only "performance" advantage to be gained in rotors is going BIGGER for more heat dispersion or switching to 2-piece models to save weight (rotational mass). Drilling holes only removes material thus making them weaker. Some people say slots do nothing either, but on my truck (used for towing) it seemed to help. I think it removes the glazing that occurs when the pads get crazy hot, or maybe I'm just buying into the marketing BS. All I know is my truck did stop better with slotted rotors. I'm currently running cyro treated solid rotors on my Z.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:20 PM
rawlz

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get better pads. I have some hawk hp+s that are decent in between pad and a little more of the aggressive side. If you were closer I would be down to give you a deal on them as I upgraded to the brembos and have no use for them anymore.