Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Z1 brake upgrade issues/mini rant

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 03:18 PM
sikkntbrah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z1 brake upgrade issues/mini rant

Picked up the z1 non-brembo brake upgrade kit for my 2008 z. Drilled/slotted rotors with hawk hps, stainless lines and motul fluid.

Installed rotors and pads and did the bed-in process according to hawk's website.

Have about 150-200 miles on this setup so far and I feel like I've downgraded.

To start, none of the rotors match one another. Probably just more of an annoyance than anything. I have noticeable vibrations slowing down from 30-20mph and I am already feeling the rotors getting warped and wavy. Definitely not what I was expecting.

I'd like to know if anyone else has had any complaints about their rotors??? Most reviews on the are pretty positive, that I've seen.

Also the hawk hps pads are not stopping any better. Especially cold. Nothing positive to say about these either. I am coming from an OEM setup. Nissan parts all around and considering going back.

/rant lol
Old 01-17-2015, 05:05 PM
soc_monki

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

slotted/drilled rotors are useless anyway, and are more prone to cracking/warping. just go with some decent quality blank rotors (i got Centrics). dont know about the pads, they might need to be really warm to be at their best?
Old 01-17-2015, 05:27 PM
sikkntbrah

Originally Posted by soc_monki
slotted/drilled rotors are useless anyway, and are more prone to cracking/warping. just go with some decent quality blank rotors (i got Centrics). dont know about the pads, they might need to be really warm to be at their best?
If I could reorder I wouldn't get drilled rotors. They def work better warm. Street pads should work just as well cold but that's just my opinion
Old 01-17-2015, 06:51 PM
kilogram

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sikkntbrah
I have noticeable vibrations slowing down from 30-20mph and I am already feeling the rotors getting warped and wavy.
This is more likely uneven pad material transfer than warping. Try bedding them again, and make sure you can drive for a while without having to stop while they're hot.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:23 AM
sikkntbrah

Originally Posted by kilogram
This is more likely uneven pad material transfer than warping. Try bedding them again, and make sure you can drive for a while without having to stop while they're hot.
10-4. I'll give bedding one more go and report back. Thanks
Old 01-19-2015, 09:12 AM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

OEM pads generally have very good bite even when cold.

I remember long ago when I swapped away from OEM pads I noticed the same phenomenon...I was generally disappointed with their bite and modulation, although they did handle heat better (I think they were P-mu b-force).

Goes to show, just bc they are marketed as "aftermarket performance" doesn't mean they are better in every way.

Hope the bed-in works out for you. What do you mean they "didn't match?"