Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Stillen brake upgrade issues. product or installation?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 03:04 PM
whatnow?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stillen brake upgrade issues. product or installation?

Hello. I just had some brake upgrades done to the Z.
Pads, rotors, and SS brake lines. All the way around.
Having some issues, looking for some advice! Please.

1. Pads: STILLEN Infiniti, Nissan Metal Matrix Brake Pads - Front - OE Brembo Calipers

2. Rotors: STILLEN 2003-2004 Infiniti G35 / 2003-2009 Nissan 350Z Track Front Cross Drilled 1-Piece Sport Rotors

3. SS Lines: Goodridge Gstop Stainless Steel Brakeline Kits

Issues:

1. frequent brake squeal. Does not happen all the time, But frequent enough to be annoying and a concern. Happens almost exclusively when nearing a complete stop. *Note, I do live in the North East and it's been 30 degrees or below, with salt, snow, ice, etc..

2. Right rear rotor showing uneven wear marks. Brake noise does not seem to be emanating from that area though. See pics.

Steps taken so far.

-Followed installation directions to a T.
-Completed bedding process as outlined from stillen
-Bled brakes in the instructed order.
-Took car to a shop to inspect the installation and to get their opinion, they were not much help. Just said the install looks good, brakes should not be squealing and to contact stillen and have them send me a new rotor and set of pads for that right rear.

Any and all opinions/advice are welcome and appreciated.
Thanks, Kyle.
Attached Thumbnails Stillen brake upgrade issues. product or installation?-20150213_090528_resized_1.jpg   Stillen brake upgrade issues. product or installation?-20150213_090545_resized_1.jpg   Stillen brake upgrade issues. product or installation?-20150213_090606_resized_1.jpg   Stillen brake upgrade issues. product or installation?-20150213_090615_resized_1.jpg  
Old 02-18-2015, 06:16 PM
clubhopper

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by whatnow?

1. Pads: STILLEN Infiniti, Nissan Metal Matrix Brake Pads - Front - OE Brembo Calipers

2. Rotors: STILLEN 2003-2004 Infiniti G35 / 2003-2009 Nissan 350Z Track Front Cross Drilled 1-Piece Sport Rotors

Issues:

1. frequent brake squeal. Does not happen all the time, But frequent enough to be annoying and a concern. Happens almost exclusively when nearing a complete stop. *Note, I do live in the North East and it's been 30 degrees or below, with salt, snow, ice, etc..

2. Right rear rotor showing uneven wear marks. Brake noise does not seem to be emanating from that area though. See pics.

Steps taken so far.

-Took car to a shop to inspect the installation and to get their opinion, they were not much help. Just said the install looks good, brakes should not be squealing and to contact stillen and have them send me a new rotor and set of pads for that right rear.

Thanks, Kyle.
When you installed the pads. Did you use the anti squeal grease?. I usually put some on the back of the pad and the caliper pins.

Last edited by clubhopper; 02-18-2015 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:22 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by whatnow?

Issues:

Steps taken so far.

Thanks, Kyle.
Showing irregular wear/scoring on a rotor just after install probably means the pad on that rotor surface is not seated correctly. This could be caused by any number of things:

- Faulty pad (surface OR backplate)

- Sticking caliper piston - particularly in a 4-pot setup where ONE of the cylinders could be sticking. Possibly when you retracted the pistons, it went in too far into the galling zone (the portion of the cylinder nor ordinarily used in regular braking)

- Pad chamfer is not done right (going back to "faulty pad") and the leading edge of the pad is galling the rotor at irregular angle.

Asymetric pad misalignment - sometimes the pads get installed backwards. If they are asymetric (not familiar with the Nissan Brembo set up), you might have one set in there cattywumpus.

Bad rotor
out of the box OR it's not on correctly.

But this is all just electronic guesswork. Only sure way to tell is to pull the pads and read 'em, along with checking the above mentioned caliper issues.

Good luck.

Mic
Old 02-18-2015, 07:18 PM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Showing irregular wear/scoring on a rotor just after install probably means the pad on that rotor surface is not seated correctly. This could be caused by any number of things:

- Faulty pad (surface OR backplate)

- Sticking caliper piston - particularly in a 4-pot setup where ONE of the cylinders could be sticking. Possibly when you retracted the pistons, it went in too far into the galling zone (the portion of the cylinder nor ordinarily used in regular braking)

- Pad chamfer is not done right (going back to "faulty pad") and the leading edge of the pad is galling the rotor at irregular angle.

Asymetric pad misalignment - sometimes the pads get installed backwards. If they are asymetric (not familiar with the Nissan Brembo set up), you might have one set in there cattywumpus.

Bad rotor
out of the box OR it's not on correctly.

But this is all just electronic guesswork. Only sure way to tell is to pull the pads and read 'em, along with checking the above mentioned caliper issues.

Good luck.

Mic
If the brakes are good maybe the hub is bent. Happened to me when I had my Civic. Warped 2 rotors before I found out the culprit.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:34 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by SQuaLZ
If the brakes are good maybe the hub is bent. Happened to me when I had my Civic. Warped 2 rotors before I found out the culprit.
Good point!!! Guess OP has to add that to the list of worries I sent. Heh heh.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:25 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

I don't think the pictures show anything obvious, except the lighting is different from the left side to the right side. I'm not seeing "Right rear rotor showing uneven wear marks".

Some pads are much more prone to making noise than others, and especially when they're not up to proper temp. I like the EBC pads, which have an anti-squeal coating pre-applied, and have never had any noise issues, but Permatex makes a good spray-on anti-squeal spray you might want to try.

http://www.permatex.com/products-2/p...t-80077-detail

Finally, I wonder if the new pads are properly bedded-in to the rotors. Did you follow the recommended procedure, and how many miles have you put on them?