Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

G35 Tein S-Techs on 350z

Old 02-28-2015, 09:50 AM
Fluxil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G35 Tein S-Techs on 350z

I bought a set not thinking about it because I got them for a decent deal from a friend.

And I was looking at the rates for them and this is what I stumbled upon
g35 s-techs:
rates: f/r 6.4/4.9kg
drop: f/r -1.2/-0.9

350z s-techs:
rate: f/r 6.9/7.2kg
drop: f/r -1.2/-1.1

Putting these G Teins on my Z will it drop more? Will it loosen my suspension or tighten it over factory? I've heard of people putting Z Teins on Gs but not the other way around, can I get some information here?
Old 02-28-2015, 11:53 AM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

The Tein S-Tech specifications for the 350z:
  • rate: f/r 6.9/7.2kg
  • drop: f/r -0.7”/-0.6” (not -1.2/-1.1 as you list in your message)
The suspension geometry of the two cars is different; the G35 is a slightly heavier car with a longer wheelbase. I’m not sure what effect that will have on the drop. Since the G35 spring is not engineered for the 350z, I would be concerned that the g spring (with its greater drop) could be coil bound on the z.

I think your best source here is sending an inquiry to Tein. This is the link:
https://www.tein.co.jp/cgi_e/contact.php
Old 03-03-2015, 02:10 PM
Spike100

I sent your question to Tein using the link I listed in the previous message. Here is the reply I received:

Thank you for your inquiry and interest in TEIN High Performance Suspension Products.

Unfortunately the springs would be different in design and would not be compatible between the two vehicles. We would recommend to use the correct spring that are manufactured for the vehicle for best ride and performance quality.

If you should have any further questions please feel free to contact us.

Best Regards,

Operations Staff
9798 Firestone Blvd.
Downey, CA. 90241
Tel: 562-861-9161
Fax: 562-861-9171
Old 03-12-2015, 06:05 PM
Fluxil

Well crap, looks like I'm boned on this one? So tell me how does the Zs springs fit on the Gs? And not the other way around.
Old 03-13-2015, 01:55 AM
NoQuestionZ

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm pretty sure Tein is covering their Azz on this one.... While it may hold true I don't know if there would be any noticeable difference once installed. I could be way wrong, but why not give it a try? (unless you daily the Z or are having a shop install them)
Old 03-23-2015, 01:48 PM
Fluxil

Originally Posted by NoQuestionZ
I'm pretty sure Tein is covering their Azz on this one.... While it may hold true I don't know if there would be any noticeable difference once installed. I could be way wrong, but why not give it a try? (unless you daily the Z or are having a shop install them)
The Z is my daily and I was going to have a shop do it, also I hear of people buying the Z tein s techs and having no issues, why wouldn't it work the other way around?
Old 03-23-2015, 05:29 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by NoQuestionZ
The statistics for both Tein s-Tech springs:
g35 s-techs:
drop: f/r -1.2”/-0.9”

350z s-techs:
drop: f/r –0.7”/-0.6”

The Tein s-Tech’s drop for the g35 is about ½” more on the front and 1/3” more on the rear. That’s not a huge difference, but you need to realize that the additional drop for the 350z might (probably will) require adding additional suspension components to align the car correctly. That means you will likely have some additional expense past just the springs.

The significant difference, though, is the rear spring rate. A spring’s Spring Rate is the amount of weight required to deflect a spring one inch: The lower the Spring Rate, the softer the spring (and consequently the smoother the ride).

Note: The formula used for calculating spring rates is complicated; it uses several variables (wire diameter, outer diameter, mean diameter, free length, spring “constant,” and active coils) and some mathematical axioms (Young’s Modulus of Material, Shear Modulus of Material, and Poison’s Ratio of Material).

The g35 Tein s-Techs are relatively soft in the rear compared to the 350z Tein s-Techs. The g35’s greater wheelbase mitigates this difference (i.e., the g35 is a longer lever).

So… Is that what you want on your 350z… a bouncier rear? …Probably not since it would compromise your 350z’s handling.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:29 PM
NoQuestionZ

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike100
g35 s-techs:

350z s-techs:

The Tein s-Tech’s drop for the g35 is about ½” more on the front and 1/3” more on the rear. That’s not a huge difference, but you need to realize that the additional drop for the 350z might (probably will) require adding additional suspension components to align the car correctly. That means you will likely have some additional expense past just the springs.

The significant difference, though, is the rear spring rate. A spring’s Spring Rate is the amount of weight required to deflect a spring one inch: The lower the Spring Rate, the softer the spring (and consequently the smoother the ride).

Note: The formula used for calculating spring rates is complicated; it uses several variables (wire diameter, outer diameter, mean diameter, free length, spring “constant,” and active coils) and some mathematical axioms (Young’s Modulus of Material, Shear Modulus of Material, and Poison’s Ratio of Material).

The g35 Tein s-Techs are relatively soft in the rear compared to the 350z Tein s-Techs. The g35’s greater wheelbase mitigates this difference (i.e., the g35 is a longer lever).

So… Is that what you want on your 350z… a bouncier rear? …Probably not since it would compromise your 350z’s handling.
I was JUST about to say all this ^^^

Spike just got lucky and beat me to it

But yea, I would listen to this explanation, it seems sciencey. Not even joking either.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:31 PM
Fluxil

Originally Posted by Spike100
g35 s-techs:

350z s-techs:

The better question I guess now is, is it an improvement over stock springs? If It is I can live with it, but if it's not I'm gonna sell them and just buy the regular Z Teins.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:38 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by Fluxil
The better question I guess now is, is it an improvement over stock springs? If It is I can live with it, but if it's not I'm gonna sell them and just buy the regular Z Teins.
I would sell the g35 Tein s-Tech springs. Tein advises against installing these on a 350z for good reason. The rear spring rate is too soft for your 350z.

If you want the same drop you have on those (the Tein g35 s-Tech springs), you should look at Swift Spec-R springs designed for a 350z. Swift Spec-R springs provide about the same drop (1.2" front and 1.0" rear) and are a better choice for spring rates (7.5 kg/mm front and 8.2kg/mm rear). Notice that the Swift Spec-R springs have a higher spring rate in the rear than the front (which is just opposite of the g35 Tein s-Tech springs).

There is a thread here that describes the Swift springs in great detail:
https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...gs-review.html

If you decide going with a 1” drop, be prepared to add additional suspension components to bring the car into alignment.