Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

What do you know: KW and Bilstein

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 01:17 PM
mariar508

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What do you know: KW and Bilstein

Ok, so I've done quite a bit or research and I can't find much information comparing KW coilovers with Bilstein coilovers on the Z/G. If you google it there's a decent amount of people that have experienced these on BMW's and VW's, but I can't seem to find a good comparison for our cars.

I'm currently looking for a decent coilover setup under $2000 and I've heard really good things about both KW and Bilstein, so I'm pretty much set on these two brands. And since these will be going on my DD that does not see any track time, I'm leaning towards the KW V1 and Bilstein B14 PSS - that way I don't have the chance to screw up the damper settings (I trust the engineers at KW and Bilstein more than myself to set the damper for a good mix of driving experience).

I know the KW are twin tube and the Bilstein's are monotube, but how exactly this translates to stiffness, smoothness, body roll when cornering, and drivability - in general - I do not know. So if anyone has had any experience with the V1 or PPS coilovers on the z/G, or even similar models such as the V2 and PSS9/PSS10's, which are the same coilovers but allow the damper to be adjusted, please chime in.

Hopefully this thread will also help others in deciding between these two great European brands as well.

Last edited by mariar508; 03-19-2015 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:56 PM
BigBlue

Received 186 Likes on 137 Posts

I had narrowed it down to the KW and Bilstein also a few yrs. ago. They are similar in prices and performance, depending on models. I have been very happy with my pss10 Bilsteins since the day I got them; these are an adjustable damper model on a 1-10 scale. I'd say that you couldn't go wrong with either of the two; both make good models under $2k.

Last edited by BigBlue; 03-20-2015 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-19-2015, 03:44 PM
mariar508

Originally Posted by BigBlue
I had narrowed it down to the KW and Bilstein also a few yrs. ago. They are similar in prices and performance, depending on models. I have been very happy with my pss10 Bilsteins since the day I got them; these are an adjustable damper model on a 1-10 scale. I'd say that you couldn't go wrong with either of the two; both make good models under $2k.
Is there a specific reason why you had chosen the PSS10's over the V2's?
Old 03-19-2015, 05:08 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by mariar508
Ok, so I've done quite a bit or research and I can't find much information comparing KW coilovers with Bilstein coilovers on the Z/G. If you google it there's a decent amount of people that have experienced these on BMW's and VW's, but I can't seem to find a good comparison for our cars.

I'm currently looking for a decent coilover setup under $2000 and I've heard really good things about both KW and Bilstein, so I'm pretty much set on these two brands. And since these will be going on my DD that does not see any track time, I'm leaning towards the KW V1 and Bilstein B14 PSS - that way I don't have the chance to screw up the damper settings (I trust the engineers at KW and Bilstein more than myself to set the damper for a good mix of driving experience).

I know the KW are twin tube and the Bilstein's are monotube, but how exactly this translates to stiffness, smoothness, body roll when cornering, and drivability - in general - I do not know. So if anyone has had any experience with the V1 or PPS coilovers on the z/G, or even similar models such as the V2 and PSS9/PSS10's, which are the same coilovers but allow the damper to be adjusted, please chime in.

Hopefully this thread will also help others in deciding between these two great European brands as well.
Just curious as to why you are choosing coilovers when the intended purpose is as a DD with no track use. Not trying to talk you out of it at all, just curious as to why a standard configuration suspension wouldn't work for your application.

FWIW, Bilstein has a lonnnnnnng reputation for quality and more importantly for shocks that WORK. Combining a true performance gain with a good ride is the hallmark of Bilstein. I've personally run them on about ten (or more? Can't remember...) cars (including my Z33) and never had a bad thing to say about them. Ever.

Oh wait, I had one shock leak on one of my Volvos after about 5 years of driving. Warranty replacement SET in about three days... And that's not a bad thing.

I have no hands-on with KW but they seem to have a pretty good rep in the short time (relative to Bilstein and Koni) they've been around. They seem to have quite a following amongst the Euro marques but like you say, don't see much comparative info on our Z cars.

Back to my original question and to play devil's advocate, try reading this thread. There's some pretty good info in it (ahem... ). Then let us know what you decide. If you go KW, I'm sure there will be many others interested in the findings.

Cheers,

Mic
Old 03-19-2015, 06:38 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

KW vs Bilstien , both make solid products , but focus on proper dampening , ride quality and performance.

Either one you can not go wrong with, but I would call my buddy Adam before making a final decision. He is an expert, suspension is his life.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:07 PM
BigBlue

Received 186 Likes on 137 Posts

Is there a specific reason why you had chosen the PSS10's over the V2's?
No specific reason; I was back and forth. Several yrs. ago I was really looking at details of both and can't remember exactly why I went with pss10 over v2, maybe it was the ease of adjustment. I really like the front adjustments right in the engine bay. Those v2's looked very fine and those two models were priced about the same; not sure how it is now, but like some guys have mentioned they are both good quality. One may be better for you depending on the driving conditions, etc. *May be a good idea to call Terrasmak 's friend first.

Last edited by BigBlue; 03-19-2015 at 08:12 PM.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:02 AM
RobPhoboS

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

I went with bilstein shocks and springs, can't be bothered with coilovers (personal pref of fit-and-forget).
Unless you want specific ride height adjustment, I'd get the Bilstein B12 Prokit, 25-30mm drop, or if less drop wanted B6 + tein springs for example.

Good luck.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:10 AM
stogey420time
Club Moderator
the Hot Spot

Received 78 Likes on 54 Posts

My choices was either KW3 or PSS10's and I chose Bilstein. My main reason was the drop height. KW3 max drop is 1.5 inches whereas PSS10's are 1.7 inches... not much of a difference in numbers but made a huge difference appearance wise.

I daily drive my car also and won't see the track much so the Bilstein fit the script because the KW's are more track oriented. However, the PSS10's are capable of performing at the track as well so it's a win, win. Plus they're reputable and have awesome warranty coverage so that's a plus.

I'm glad I didn't skimp out on coils, I was set on buying Stance but decided against it and went with better quality coilover instead.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:38 PM
mariar508

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Just curious as to why you are choosing coilovers when the intended purpose is as a DD with no track use. Not trying to talk you out of it at all, just curious as to why a standard configuration suspension wouldn't work for your application.

FWIW, Bilstein has a lonnnnnnng reputation for quality and more importantly for shocks that WORK. Combining a true performance gain with a good ride is the hallmark of Bilstein. I've personally run them on about ten (or more? Can't remember...) cars (including my Z33) and never had a bad thing to say about them. Ever.

Oh wait, I had one shock leak on one of my Volvos after about 5 years of driving. Warranty replacement SET in about three days... And that's not a bad thing.

I have no hands-on with KW but they seem to have a pretty good rep in the short time (relative to Bilstein and Koni) they've been around. They seem to have quite a following amongst the Euro marques but like you say, don't see much comparative info on our Z cars.

Back to my original question and to play devil's advocate, try reading this thread. There's some pretty good info in it (ahem... ). Then let us know what you decide. If you go KW, I'm sure there will be many others interested in the findings.

Cheers,

Mic
Thanks for the link. My only concern with the upgraded shock/spring combo is that it wont be low enough for my liking (the pictures don't work so I can't really see what the drop looks like, but other Eibach drops that I've seen are very minimal). Plus, I might not be able to get the front and rear in spec with the upgraded shock/spring combo using the OEM arms - a real advantage to using this combo, and, if that's the case, I'll still have to spend the money on new arms. At that point I would have been happier just installing coilovers in the first place.

After hearing all of the great reviews for Bilstein, I'm thinking the PSS's might be right for me.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:43 PM
mariar508

Originally Posted by terrasmak
KW vs Bilstien , both make solid products , but focus on proper dampening , ride quality and performance.

Either one you can not go wrong with, but I would call my buddy Adam before making a final decision. He is an expert, suspension is his life.
PM sent
Old 03-20-2015, 08:46 PM
mariar508

Originally Posted by RobPhoboS
I went with bilstein shocks and springs, can't be bothered with coilovers (personal pref of fit-and-forget).
Unless you want specific ride height adjustment, I'd get the Bilstein B12 Prokit, 25-30mm drop, or if less drop wanted B6 + tein springs for example.

Good luck.
I'm curious, what shock/spring combo did you go with? Also, were you able to get the suspension back into spec with the OEM arms?
Old 03-21-2015, 04:23 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Thanks for the link. My only concern with the upgraded shock/spring combo is that it wont be low enough for my liking (the pictures don't work so I can't really see what the drop looks like, but other Eibach drops that I've seen are very minimal). Plus, I might not be able to get the front and rear in spec with the upgraded shock/spring combo using the OEM arms - a real advantage to using this combo, and, if that's the case, I'll still have to spend the money on new arms. At that point I would have been happier just installing coilovers in the first place.

After hearing all of the great reviews for Bilstein, I'm thinking the PSS's might be right for me.
Alignment following lowering is a genuine concern. When I first installed Bilstein with Eibach Pro Kit (very minimal lowering with the Bils.... maybe 0.3 and now 0.6 - as advertised - with Konis), I didn't really think much about aligning as the car stayed in nominal range upon having alignment checked. However, after the suspension settled down over 18 mos. of running, they were out of spec and "necessitated" my adding adjustabilty - SPC F&R.

Lowering your car with coilovers is NOT going to make you immune to having to install adjustable UCAs or rear camber adjusters, especially if you go as low as it sounds like you want to.

But, at the price point of the Bilstein PSS set up - actually lower than going conventional Bilstein shock+whatever-spring set, it couldn't hurt. Ill be curious to track your progress as I considered that setup two years ago as well.

FWIW, Eibach also offers the Sportline springs that are pretty low for a street car.... a genuine 1.2-1.4" lowering.

Good luck and please update with your new set up.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:43 AM
RobPhoboS

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

I'm curious, what shock/spring combo did you go with? Also, were you able to get the suspension back into spec with the OEM arms?
Hey man, I went with B6's and Tein S. (very, very pleased)
Far superior to the OEM set up, although I have to be fair my shocks were 100k knackered

My alignment was ok one side but not the other, and since I'm trying to nail the handling for road use, I bought adjustable upper control arms and eibach sway bars (just waiting for these bars to arrive).
So if you are going lower, you'd most likely require adjustable upper arms as well as adjustable droplinks as it won't be handling optimally.

Obviously it won't mean you're going to explode in a big fireball but it'll most likely cause wear and tear on various components unfortunately.

Both companies are great but if anything may persuade you, Bilstein and their warranty is exceptional.
http://www.bilsteinus.com/products/s...vice/warranty/