Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Stance coilover - initial damping suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 12:29 PM
ZROCM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stance coilover - initial damping suggestion

I installed a set of Stance coilovers. Just lowered my '04 350Z an inch from stock height. I haven't finalized the height yet, but I believe one shouldn't go lower than 1.25 inches, otherwise the handling is not as good as OEM. I have the following tire sizes: 245-40x18 +25 offset on the front and 275-40X18 +22 offset in the rear. I realize that damping settings are a personal preference, but wondering what people have found to be close to OEM or somewhat firmer. Also wondering if people have set damping different on the front vs. the rear.

My objective is not to be running specifically on the track, but spirited driving the curvy country roads and everyday usage.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:10 AM
driftsucky

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

For that height, there isn't going to be a "great" dampening solution because they aren't meant to stay that high. You should've gone with a KW or Tien solution if you didn't really want to lower your car more than that. Just my $.02

As for dampening, most people dampen based on height/driving style. My rears are stiffer than my fronts because I slide my car at things. If you don't, you may want a softer ride. Some people have super stiff settings because their wheels/tires may be millimeters from their fenders and they need minimal bounce. At the height you're at, I'd imagine whatever they're set at from factory would suffice.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:18 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Well it all depends on how they are set up, if you did the normal couple MM of preload and set height with damper length it will be the same ( possibly ) crummy setup as someone who is slammed.

Damper settings, start soft, softest setting are the fastest on the track. Actually setting the dampers for performance is a guess unless your tuning at the limit on the track. If your not tuning on a track, just set to what you think feels good at the speed you push the car to.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:23 AM
ZROCM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Well it all depends on how they are set up, if you did the normal couple MM of preload and set height with damper length it will be the same ( possibly ) crummy setup as someone who is slammed.

Damper settings, start soft, softest setting are the fastest on the track. Actually setting the dampers for performance is a guess unless your tuning at the limit on the track. If your not tuning on a track, just set to what you think feels good at the speed you push the car to.
OK, thanks. I have no preload set and the car is sitting 1 inch lower than stock. Should I raise the car some? I also assume an expert needs to adjust the pre-load. My Stance Coilovers have Swift springs: 13K in the front and 9K in the rear.

Thanks much for you help.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:28 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

The preload thing is a myth and load of .... Set your suspension travel with shock body length , then set ride height with spring load.