Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

H&R Coilovers Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 12:15 AM
CJs_Z33

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default H&R Coilovers Question

I posted this on another thread but thought i'd just create a new thread for discussion.

I have H&R coilovers. I hate the design of the rear adjustable collar. It is inverted. Meaning the collar is mounted to the spring bucket (bottom of spring). Not like the usual collar mounted on the spring perch (top of spring). I posted on another thread about this noise (scrape or squeak) ive been getting due to the metal to metal contact from said collar and the spring bucket. I was thinking i should just get rid of the set up and go with a Bilstein Shock and aftermarket spring combo. But here's the thing. Ive done some research and it looks like Bilstein is some how incorporated with the design and construction of H&R shocks. So... I was thinking why get rid of these shocks that are designed for lowered vehicles. So im thinking I just keep the H&R shocks and pick up a set of springs for the rear to get rid of the spring and collar. By doing this, I will retain the adjust-ability from the front. So i can correct the rake from the new spring. Have you guys heard of Bilstein and H&R working together? I know both companies are from germany.

Last edited by CJs_Z33; 05-04-2015 at 12:20 AM.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:42 AM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

I think most of the stock photos Bilstein is using on their site are generic. Either way they conversion is much easier than buying a whole new setup, just need some adapters and you can convert to 2.5id linear rear spring if you like.

PM user kilogram he recently purchased a set of PSS and they were fresh from Germany, so he should be able to tell you what they employ for their latest rear collar configuration on the Z.

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...-review-3.html

Last edited by guitman32; 05-04-2015 at 10:47 AM.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:30 PM
kilogram

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

H&R uses Bilstein damper inserts in most (if not all) of their line. It's just the damper insert.

I ordered a B12 pro kit, not PSS, so I don't have any info on whether they run different rear height adjustment collars from the H&R. Looking at pictures, it appears there's a taper to the rear springs on the H&R. Is it too much to be able to mount the collar on the upper spring mount?

If that's not an option, try something like these to replace the H&Rs (Tein rear height adjusters and springs- I'd compare the spring rates and replace if necessary): https://my350z.com/forum/suspension/...ith-parts.html

There used to be a few posts that mentioned where to buy the larger diameter height adjustment collars, and you can get larger diameter Eibach springs to suit them from Summit, etc.

Per your original question, no- there's no reason you couldn't use a set of standard springs in the rear. You just want to make sure they're within a few % of the H&R rear spring rate. You may have to directly measure that, I can't remember if the rates have ever been published.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:08 PM
CJs_Z33

Originally Posted by kilogram
H&R uses Bilstein damper inserts in most (if not all) of their line. It's just the damper insert.

I ordered a B12 pro kit, not PSS, so I don't have any info on whether they run different rear height adjustment collars from the H&R. Looking at pictures, it appears there's a taper to the rear springs on the H&R. Is it too much to be able to mount the collar on the upper spring mount?

If that's not an option, try something like these to replace the H&Rs (Tein rear height adjusters and springs- I'd compare the spring rates and replace if necessary): https://my350z.com/forum/suspension/...ith-parts.html

There used to be a few posts that mentioned where to buy the larger diameter height adjustment collars, and you can get larger diameter Eibach springs to suit them from Summit, etc.

Per your original question, no- there's no reason you couldn't use a set of standard springs in the rear. You just want to make sure they're within a few % of the H&R rear spring rate. You may have to directly measure that, I can't remember if the rates have ever been published.
Thanks for the info. I'll look into adjustment collars and springs. If not I'll just go with springs. Like you said h&r never published spring rates for this system so I may just have to pick up a set and hope it works. And I wish I could just mount it upside down but the collar is made to fit on the notch of the spring bucket.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:04 PM
kilogram

You might be able to call and ask them. I've done that in the past and they were more than willing to tell me spring rates on my suspension.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:43 AM
CJs_Z33

Originally Posted by kilogram
You might be able to call and ask them. I've done that in the past and they were more than willing to tell me spring rates on my suspension.
Another option might be to flip the coils upside down and reuse the oem lower spring mount. The springs are progressive so I dont know if flipping it upside down would change the way it handles. I will need to remove the top spring mount and the adjustment base of the collar and just use the collar to mount the spring up top. I just need to find out if the inside diameter of the collar will fit the mounting point at the top of the spring. If it continues to make noise i can just do the rear spring mount mod or pick up the energy silicone spring insulator to put in between the mounting point and the collar. Will test this out tomorrow. If this does not work ill just pick up new springs.

Here's how the coilovers look. Stole this pic from bmurrays thread.

Last edited by CJs_Z33; 05-06-2015 at 01:46 AM.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:06 PM
kilogram

Maybe buy some new spring mounts and cut them off to make a nub like what's in the bottom of the bucket for them to seat on. Rubber cuts easily. I don't know what that area looks like without the spring mount in place so take that with a grain of salt.. There should be a way to attach it though, that's how other kits do it.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:16 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Silicon or some other adhesive and make a thin gasket as a noise isolater
Old 05-06-2015, 07:00 PM
kilogram

I was gonna say rubberized undercoating in the spring bucket, but it sounds like the problem is half noise, half just being a general b*tch to adjust.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:41 AM
Phenom
Toasty

Received 1,382 Likes on 990 Posts

I'd try solving the noise issue first. I have these coilovers and yeah, adjusting the rear is a royal pain in the ***, but mine don't make any noises even with the metal on metal contact in the spring bucket. If I were you I'd buy some thin rubber matting, place it over the protrusion in the spring bucket with some adhesive and cut the rubber with an exacto knife around the protrusion, leaving a secure rubber layer between the perch and spring bucket.
Old 12-18-2015, 02:00 AM
CJs_Z33

Late update. Coilovers have been sold. Noise was coming from rear shock top mount not the coilover. Took top mount off. Cleaned it sprayed it with lithium grease and noise was gone.

Last edited by CJs_Z33; 05-28-2016 at 02:54 AM.