Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Akebono for 08 350Z Base w/ Grand Touring wheels

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 05:47 PM
hazermang

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just my luck.

The wheels DO NOT clear the brakes! Unfortunately we found out at about the time the shop had to close so my only car is sitting on a lift at the shop until I can figure this out.

From what I could tell the caliper was only contacting the inside of the barrel slightly; at the corner.

The biggest question I have now is: can I have them "safely" grind off 1-2mm max? Will this compromise the integrity of the brakes?

I would have taken some pictures but I had alot going through my head when they gave me the bad news; I will snap some in the morning.

I will once again scour the forum for information on grinding on them; if anyone can chime in I really need your help. Thanks guys.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:12 AM
JMII

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

So this begs the question - what changed from '07 to '08 with these rims? Or is this a result of the mounting brackets for the calipers? I've got the CZP ones. Maybe there is a slight difference in the caliper? I've got the standard silver Infinity ones.

I'll see if I can get better pictures of mine... but I doubled checked last night and I can just get the keys to the car in between the barrel and the caliper on the tight end. Maybe the gap is only 1-2 mm instead of the 3-5 mm I guesstimated.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:53 AM
Phenom
Toasty

Received 1,382 Likes on 990 Posts

Hmm plot twist.

I have the stock wheels that come on an '07 Touring and brake kit from CZP. Not sure if they were originally the infiniti or nissan stamped calipers as I had CZP powder coat them.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:16 PM
JMII

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Phenom
I have the stock wheels that come on an '07 Touring and brake kit from CZP.
That is what I have as well. I'm pretty sure CZP takes the Infinity ones and powered coats them. The Nissan branded ones are more expensive for no reason other then they are red (ohhhh pretty) and for the Z (ohhhh faster)

At this point the ONLY difference between our cars is mine is an '03. Did Nissan relocate the brakes mounting point? I wouldn't think so as that would mess up the pad sweep on the rotors But if it moved slightly that could be enough.

Could it really be just the power coating that is hitting? If so that means these brakes are just an RCH away from the barrel
Old 05-21-2015, 01:37 PM
Phenom
Toasty

Originally Posted by JMII
That is what I have as well. I'm pretty sure CZP takes the Infinity ones and powered coats them. The Nissan branded ones are more expensive for no reason other then they are red (ohhhh pretty) and for the Z (ohhhh faster)

At this point the ONLY difference between our cars is mine is an '03. Did Nissan relocate the brakes mounting point? I wouldn't think so as that would mess up the pad sweep on the rotors But if it moved slightly that could be enough.

Could it really be just the power coating that is hitting? If so that means these brakes are just an RCH away from the barrel
I would imaginr there's no way the powder coating could fill the gap. When we used to powder coat parts at my old job, the powder coat would be 5-10 mils thick.

I wonder if there's enough float in thru holes of the caliper adapter bracket that it can affect the position of the caliper by a few mm. That would be a question for CZP/whoever machined their adapters to find out what tolerances they're sticking to.

I'm actually really curious about what's going on here.

Last edited by Phenom; 05-21-2015 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:03 PM
hazermang

UPDATE:

The only feasible solution was to get new wheels.

I went for black Enkei RPF1's (18x9.5+15 square) and to my relief they cleared the calipers.. just enough.

Car looks awesome which is great but now I have to do something about my rear fenders because it rubs. Currently on 275/40/18. I've never rolled fenders before but it looks to me that I may need them pulled a bit as well.. meh.

I will update with pictures of everything when I am able.
Old 05-22-2015, 03:13 AM
JMII

Question

I wonder if there's enough float in thru holes of the caliper adapter bracket that it can affect the position of the caliper by a few mm.
Not sure on the specs, but it is an incredible precise fit. As you tighten the bolts you have keep even pressure on the calipers because if you torque one side too much that causes the bolt on the opposite side to seize up.

I'm pretty puzzled too
Old 05-22-2015, 05:21 AM
Phenom
Toasty

Originally Posted by hazermang
UPDATE:

The only feasible solution was to get new wheels.

I went for black Enkei RPF1's (18x9.5+15 square) and to my relief they cleared the calipers.. just enough.

Car looks awesome which is great but now I have to do something about my rear fenders because it rubs. Currently on 275/40/18. I've never rolled fenders before but it looks to me that I may need them pulled a bit as well.. meh.

I will update with pictures of everything when I am able.
New wheels, it's a silver lining to the situation at least. Good wheel choice btw. You'll only need a mild fender roll for those to clear. No need to pull the fenders at all. I had 285's on a +15 rear wheel and all I needed was a mild roll (about half way between rolling it completely flat and not rolling at all) and it cleared after that.

Oh yeah, where did you buy those wheels that they came that fast?
Old 05-22-2015, 08:46 AM
StuLax18
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,339 Likes on 2,379 Posts

These brakes require a bracket to mount in the front right? I wonder if there are different brackets out there.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:14 AM
Phenom
Toasty

Originally Posted by StuLax18
These brakes require a bracket to mount in the front right? I wonder if there are different brackets out there.
I know I've seen multiple different brackets, so that definitely could be it.

edit: although JMII says he has the CZP brackets (which I have) and his fit. Fckin A.

Last edited by Phenom; 05-22-2015 at 11:16 AM.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:51 PM
Osborn Wu

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i feel like many ppl in this thread confused the touring v2 wheels with the rays v2 wheels that the OP are talking about...

touring v2 wheels fit just right, but the rays v2 is a different story :/
Old 05-22-2015, 12:56 PM
hazermang

Just for reference I am also using the CZP kit with stoptech components.

As far as the wheel source, I called a few shops near me and luckily one had the set in stock so I was able to pick them up. It was over an hour drive each way but I was determined to get my damn car back haha.

Thanks for the advice on the rolling of the rear fenders.

I now have to deal with yet another issue; you try to set up your car properly and its nothing but headaches along the way.

While the car was in the shop they noticed my driver side rear shock was leaking. I got under the lift and checked it out; the shock was filthy and the other rear shock spotless. The KW v3's were bought brand new from CZP only 8 months ago and installed at Stillen (authorized installer, fackin expensive). With only 10k miles of normal street use I have to deal with this ****. Was in the garage last night just checking out the cars updates (sexy as hell) and noticed that on the rear side with the leaky shock the car actually has 3-6mm LESS fender gap.. WTF.

I went on their website last night and saw they have a 5 year warranty on them if installed at an authorized dealer. Called them today and they want me to send them the shock so they can rebuild it, only problem is, its my ONLY car.

So I'm trying to figure this out. They want me to get a rental car for likely upwards of a month, and why.. because they're product FAILED after 8 months of commuting?! If I'm going to be shelling out that much money I may as well just buy a new damn shock from them. I'm just beside myself right now. I love the product but damn, I thought they made decent stuff.

Thoughts?
Old 05-22-2015, 05:41 PM
Phenom
Toasty

Originally Posted by Osborn Wu
i feel like many ppl in this thread confused the touring v2 wheels with the rays v2 wheels that the OP are talking about...

I was talking about the standard 18" v2 wheels (not rays) that come on the 2007 from the factory. Mine don't fit.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:45 PM
Phenom
Toasty

Originally Posted by hazermang
Just for reference I am also using the CZP kit with stoptech components.

As far as the wheel source, I called a few shops near me and luckily one had the set in stock so I was able to pick them up. It was over an hour drive each way but I was determined to get my damn car back haha.

Thanks for the advice on the rolling of the rear fenders.

I now have to deal with yet another issue; you try to set up your car properly and its nothing but headaches along the way.

While the car was in the shop they noticed my driver side rear shock was leaking. I got under the lift and checked it out; the shock was filthy and the other rear shock spotless. The KW v3's were bought brand new from CZP only 8 months ago and installed at Stillen (authorized installer, fackin expensive). With only 10k miles of normal street use I have to deal with this ****. Was in the garage last night just checking out the cars updates (sexy as hell) and noticed that on the rear side with the leaky shock the car actually has 3-6mm LESS fender gap.. WTF.

I went on their website last night and saw they have a 5 year warranty on them if installed at an authorized dealer. Called them today and they want me to send them the shock so they can rebuild it, only problem is, its my ONLY car.

So I'm trying to figure this out. They want me to get a rental car for likely upwards of a month, and why.. because they're product FAILED after 8 months of commuting?! If I'm going to be shelling out that much money I may as well just buy a new damn shock from them. I'm just beside myself right now. I love the product but damn, I thought they made decent stuff.

Thoughts?
The more I hear about KW products the less likely I am to ever get them. They seem to be great when they're functioning properly but they always seem to have issues. My buddies 335i with KWs for example, one rear coilover is set to drop the car pretty low, the other is set at almost max height and somehow the car is perfectly level. I'd honestly ditch the KWs after they failed the first time and get a set of Bilsteins or something.
Old 05-22-2015, 06:29 PM
BigBlue

Received 186 Likes on 137 Posts

I know I've seen multiple different brackets, so that definitely could be it.

edit: although JMII says he has the CZP brackets (which I have) and his fit. Fckin A.
I've got the CZP brackets too with the 18" rpf1s and good fit.
Old 05-22-2015, 06:43 PM
Phenom
Toasty

Originally Posted by BigBlue
I've got the CZP brackets too with the 18" rpf1s and good fit.
Yeah the OEM 18" wheels must have a relatively small barrel diameter compared to other 18" wheels since I can't really think of any other 18s that have fitment issues with these brakes.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:24 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

I have the Z1 kit. I wonder if it makes a difference compared to the CZP.

This thread is making me nervous. I really hope they fit. I have both the V1 and V2 touring wheels, both 18"
Old 05-26-2015, 11:48 AM
JMII

Originally Posted by Osborn Wu

From what I've gathered the Akebonos don't fit any of the "track" wheels, V1 or V2.

Still don't understand why mine fit and his don't, we both had '07 V2 Touring wheel and the CZP kit, the only difference is my car is an '03 so maybe Nissan changed the mounting points on later models ever so slightly?
Old 05-26-2015, 01:50 PM
kham25

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

So the nismo 18/19 works? I'm not sure on what the V1 and V2 version are. Still looking for a set of Brembos but Akebono is my next option
Old 05-28-2015, 02:08 AM
hazermang

The nismo 18/19 WILL NOT clear the inside of the barrel, it will touch.

Only options that presented themselves to me:

1) Shave/grind on the calipers

2) Get proper wheels. (recommended)

Quick Reply: Akebono for 08 350Z Base w/ Grand Touring wheels