Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Switching front end links

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 10:32 AM
BigBlue

Received 186 Likes on 137 Posts
Default Switching front end links

About 2 months ago I started to notice a slight "clunk" sound in my front always at low speeds whether I was turning or not, speed bumps, etc. didn't matter really; it became worse since then (approx. 1K miles later) and it sounds like it's coming from both sides. I inspected all ball joints and end links, even did some spray grease lube on certain exposed joints and everything looks clean and good, but that didn't fix anything.

Last time I was at the shop a few weeks ago the owner got on the ground, wheels cranked left and right (so he could see the links) as another mechanic and me compressed the front end up and down a bunch of times and the owner said definitely it's end links. He had inspected all ball joints while the car was on the lift.

Anyway I purchased a set of SPL end links for the front; the Powergrids I have on the car are about 6 yrs. old. I've read that some Z guys get that clunking sound due to stressed out/worn end links, so hopefully this will solve it. * I should be ok to keep my rear Powergrids on with new SPL's up front (Hotchkiss sways) on my DD shouldn't I?

These units are not cheap and they look and feel like well made heavy duty end links. Let me know if I'm ok to install these new ones and keep the Powergrids on the rear.

Last edited by BigBlue; 05-20-2015 at 10:44 AM.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:53 AM
aloh

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

You should be good to go on installing your new SPL's up front, it doesnt matter if they dont match the powergrids. They are both adjustable, so any unnecessary preload on the sway bars can be eliminated.

Hah, sounds like you and I did the opposite of each other. I used to have SPL endlinks in the front and rear, but they started to clunk so I switched over to the powergrid ones. Though the heim ball joints in the SPL's are supposedly superior, but they are completely exposed to road dirt/oil so they tend to pick up alot of gunk which can wear out the bearing sleeve quicker. The Powergrids have that nice rubber boot to keep it sealed from the elements. However, now that Ive had about 5 years on my powergrids, they may be what is responsible for a new clunk I have.

Tomorrow I'm changing out four front lower control arm bushings that were beginning to tear so maybe thats where my new clunking sound is coming from. Im hoping its not the endlinks.

Last edited by aloh; 05-20-2015 at 11:55 AM.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:51 PM
BigBlue

Originally Posted by aloh
You should be good to go on installing your new SPL's up front, it doesnt matter if they dont match the powergrids. They are both adjustable, so any unnecessary preload on the sway bars can be eliminated.

Hah, sounds like you and I did the opposite of each other. I used to have SPL endlinks in the front and rear, but they started to clunk so I switched over to the powergrid ones. Though the heim ball joints in the SPL's are supposedly superior, but they are completely exposed to road dirt/oil so they tend to pick up alot of gunk which can wear out the bearing sleeve quicker. The Powergrids have that nice rubber boot to keep it sealed from the elements. However, now that Ive had about 5 years on my powergrids, they may be what is responsible for a new clunk I have.

Tomorrow I'm changing out four front lower control arm bushings that were beginning to tear so maybe thats where my new clunking sound is coming from. Im hoping its not the endlinks.
Thanks for the reply, that is a coincidence that you have had similar issues with your fronts. As mine became worse over time I was stressed out that it could be ball joints going out, but when I noticed it was happening (clunk/thump sound) on the other side also I figured that the odds of both side ball joints going bad at exactly the same time was low, that's why I was actually glad when the shop owner said he thought I needed new end links.

Yeah I still recommend Powergrid no doubt and like you said they are better sealed, etc. I just hope that when I get the SPLs installed it solves the problem; will get wheel alignment at that time also. I'll post up if it solves the issue. Please post if replacing the bushings helps with your's.

*note: I was just going to get new Powergrids (front only), but I honestly was having a problem finding them for some reason and just got the SPL's from ZSpeed. Anyway if this solves the annoying clunk sounds then I'm sure a lot of guys would be glad to do what you and I have done.

Question: Do you think that it could help to go one hole less stiff on the swaybar?

Last edited by BigBlue; 05-20-2015 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:27 PM
aloh

Ill def let you know if my noise problems are solved tomorrow after my trip to my suspension shop.

Hmm you're right, powergrid endlinks for the 350z seem hard to find now. I know that Whiteline also makes endlinks for the 350Z that are similar to the Powergrids with sealed joints.

As far as going less stiff with the swaybar, I dont know how much of an affect it will have on any clunking, I'm definitely not a suspension expert. Couldnt hurt to try though, its simple enough to undo and adjust the swaybar stiffness.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:24 PM
JBJ

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I've been hearing a similar sounds as well on my new (to me) 2003 Track. I took the tires off today and looked around. The nut that holds the linkage to the the LCA was missing and the linkage was just hanging there. I was wondering why I had so much body roll at the track this past weekend.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:48 PM
aloh

Got the car back today and the clunking noise is gone! Seems like it was definitely the control arm bushings that was causing the problem. Replaced some other bushings with Whiteline ones, and installed SPL front A arms and rear control arms. My old SPC rear control arms were done, the bushing sleeve was completely out of the channel. The car feels fantastic now after the new parts and proper alignment.

Originally Posted by JBJ
I've been hearing a similar sounds as well on my new (to me) 2003 Track. I took the tires off today and looked around. The nut that holds the linkage to the the LCA was missing and the linkage was just hanging there. I was wondering why I had so much body roll at the track this past weekend.
Yeah, apparently those LCA bushings like to go out within 50-70k miles, even less if you track the car. My suspension guy said its pretty common for Z/G's to have a few different bushings that need replacing. Guess its a good excuse as any to upgrade to some aftermarket ones!
Old 05-21-2015, 08:05 PM
JBJ

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah, apparently those LCA bushings like to go out within 50-70k miles, even less if you track the car. My suspension guy said its pretty common for Z/G's to have a few different bushings that need replacing. Guess its a good excuse as any to upgrade to some aftermarket ones!
It's been at the track twice since I got it a couple of months ago. To be honest, I have no idea how long it's been missing. I thought I gave it a good "once over," but apparently I missed it. Hopefully the "clunk" will be gone. I think I might do the same as you and just replace all the bushings this winter. Seems like a good winter project. It's amazing how much harder on stuff tracking the car is. I vaporized the black plastic inner fender (splash guard) at the track this past week.

I'm glad you posted this thread. Looks like I know where to start changing things if the clunk hasn't been fixed.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:25 PM
BigBlue

Got the car back today and the clunking noise is gone! Seems like it was definitely the control arm bushings that was causing the problem. Replaced some other bushings with Whiteline ones, and installed SPL front A arms and rear control arms. My old SPC rear control arms were done, the bushing sleeve was completely out of the channel. The car feels fantastic now after the new parts and proper alignment.

Great to hear that the noises are gone plus feels better too! I'll really be taking a closer look at mine soon. Congrats to getting the problem solved.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:26 AM
BigBlue

Clunking sound from front is gone! I took the car to the local Nissan dealer because I wanted to get the car up on a wheel alignment rack for ease of proper end link install plus get alignment on all 4 too.

I was in the waiting area, the tech came in and said that there was too much "play" in the dr. side end link and it definitely needed replacing; made me feel good to know that was it!

The clunking sound is completely gone now, plus they did a good job with my overall alignment. So, some of you guys that have aftermarket sways/links and develop a clunking/thumping sound/s at very low speeds you may be glad to know that it may just be end link/s.

Last edited by BigBlue; 05-29-2015 at 07:18 AM.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:17 AM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Good to see you still have fun with you Z...

You focus on suspension and I focus on power