Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Best shocks for SWIFT Spec R for ride quality?

Old 05-30-2015, 11:17 PM
savedbygrace

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Best shocks for SWIFT Spec R for ride quality?

Hey gang,

I'm considering swapping out my shocks to Bilstein B8 or B6 (not completely up to speed yet on the difference other than B6 is for lowered cars?), but am curious what the consensus is on best shocks for ride quality when paired to the Spec R's?

LOVE the Spec R's....completely recommended....but with 40k of standard height driving and another 30k+ on the dropped height of the Spec R's...I know I'm coming up on needing new shocks so I'm trying to research this now and buy very soon. I've ruled out Koni Yellows as they seem to ride more firm than oem even on softest setting?

My current shocks are actually G35 shocks that I bought used...really nice ride quality compared to other setups I've driven...but will the mono tube design of the B8 make the front end a little less crashy on the hard edged bumps of city driving? That's my main desire....to make the front as compliant as I can shock absorber wise. Thinking the Bilsteins will help with this, maybe just doing the fronts but only if they're worth the money for the improvement sought.

Thanks for all input and help, really looking forward to improving the front end a bit, although I already love the Z so much I could probably lose a wheel and still be happy driving this thing.

Saved
Old 05-31-2015, 07:38 PM
kilogram

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

If only someone had posted a review of the bilstein/swift setup...
Old 05-31-2015, 08:16 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Any quality adjustable shocks should do the trick. I love my Tokico DSpecs.
Old 05-31-2015, 09:33 PM
savedbygrace

kilogram... ....yeah yeah....of course I've read that already, a couple of times....but that's ONE person's review...I'm looking for added input as that's the smart way to collect information.

Considering the Tokico D specs too....but mono tube shocks like the Bilstein are a nicer ride supposedly....BMW..Porsche...Maserati....all Bilstein...but...what I suspect is that the main advantage of the Bilstein is not greater ride quality but greater consistency in the shock performance since no cavitation happens in the Bilsteins...so...since consistency is more important to some for race performance I wonder if the whole mono tube marketing machine is more fluff than stuff? Unfortunately I've never ridden in a Z with mono tube shocks, but I have test driven a few BMW 3 series and a 540i...so if their suspension damping is what to expect then I think I have a feel for what they'd feel like...hmm...that sounded really smart...lol...anyway...thx for the help, please keep the input coming gang...there's gotta be some members here with the knowledge that can help me decide.

Saved
Old 06-01-2015, 02:51 PM
kilogram

Actually, there are at least 4 people in that thread who rate their experience with the Swiftstein setup as positive, especially for street ride comfort. Hoping to add another data point in the next few weeks after we move.

I do know that ride quality is largely a function of high speed damping, and Bilstein is the best in the business at it. My only recent experience with Bilstein dampers was with the H&R coilovers on my old MR2, but they were so good I now have a set of Bilstein B8s and Swift Spec-Rs sitting in my basement waiting for life to settle down enough to put them on the Z. The difference with the Bilsteins is that they let the wheel move very fast when it needs to instead of transmitting that motion to the chassis, while maintaining adequate low speed damping.

This is something other dampers seem to struggle with, and one reason I didn't even consider the Tokico shocks when I can get a set of Bilsteins for the same net price as the Tokicos. Buy the B12 pro kit and sell the springs. I paid $772 shipped for the kit, sold the springs locally for $180, net price of my shocks was $592. AJUSA has the kit on sale right now for something like $792 shipped. Only downside is you'll have to wait for them, as there's usually a 2 month lead time.
Old 06-01-2015, 03:20 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,043 Likes on 6,509 Posts

Originally Posted by mr. sparco
Any quality adjustable shocks should do the trick. I love my Tokico DSpecs.
i loved mine, but not sure if they are available anymore
Old 06-01-2015, 03:25 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Saved… There isn’t much difference between the Bilstein B6 and B8 shock. The B8 supports dropping the car slightly more than the B6.

I went with the B8 thinking I might want to drop the car more than my Tein S-Tech springs’ 0.6” drop. I wanted the B8’s because I’m considering Swift Spec-R springs that drop the car about an inch. If I go with a 1” drop, I’m not sure but think I might need additional suspension components for alignment.
Old 06-02-2015, 02:10 PM
savedbygrace

you guys are awesome.

Thanks for all of that, and especially the heads up on the best way to buy the shocks...I think I'm going to do just that and wait the two months. $600 for the set would be great!

And yes...you're right kilogram about the thread having multiple positive reviews...a good point...I reread the whole thing after my original reply to you and realized I missed some of the comments affirming how good the Swiftsteinular configuration is.

This is going to be a great upgrade I think...can't wait!

Saved

PS - oh...as far as install goes...the rears I understand are just pretty much unbolt, take out, put in new, rebolt...but the fronts require the use of a spring compressor? I've never used one, I know they can kill you if you're an idiot, but how hard is it to do the install by oneself, and how hard is it to learn how to use a spring compressor safely? I can rent one of course, and am of normal intelligence and common sense, but I wonder if I should let someone else install these and...sorry...one more...what would I be looking at for an install fee generally speaking?

Thanks again - Saved

Last edited by savedbygrace; 06-02-2015 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06-02-2015, 02:23 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by savedbygrace
you guys are awesome.

Thanks for all of that, and especially the heads up on the best way to buy the shocks...I think I'm going to do just that and wait the two months. $600 for the set would be great!

And yes...you're right kilogram about the thread having multiple positive reviews...a good point...I reread the whole thing after my original reply to you and realized I missed some of the comments affirming how good the Swiftsteinular configuration is.

This is going to be a great upgrade I think...can't wait!

Saved

PS - oh...as far as install goes...the rears I understand are just pretty much unbolt, take out, put in new, rebolt...but the fronts require the use of a spring compressor? I've never used one, I know they can kill you if you're an idiot, but how hard is it to do the install by oneself, and how hard is it to learn how to use a spring compressor safely? I can rent one of course, and am of normal intelligence and common sense, but I wonder if I should let someone else install these and...sorry...one more...what would I be looking at for an install fee generally speaking?

Thanks again - Saved

Mister Saved, if you'd like a little more discussion that is somewhat Bilstein centric and fairly recent, check Spike's thread...

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...coil-over.html
Old 06-02-2015, 11:26 PM
savedbygrace

Thx Mr. Micvelo, appreciate it

Mr Saved
Old 06-03-2015, 06:59 AM
kilogram

Originally Posted by savedbygrace
you guys are awesome.

Thanks again - Saved
There's nothing complicated about them. You can rent spring compressors all over the place too. Normal intelligence will do you just fine. If you feel yourself having a moment of below-normal intelligence, however, step back and work on something else for a bit. We've all been there.

Edit: Also, I don't know where you're from, but if it's from an area where your car will ever see salt, it would be a good idea to pull the bolts on the rear arms while the loads are off and slather them with anti-seize and reassemble. I wish I'd had the foresight to do it 10 years ago when we bought our Z. My rear end is rusted solid. That sounds a lot more inappropriate than it is.

Last edited by kilogram; 06-03-2015 at 07:02 AM.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:33 AM
Hotlaprc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I'm am close to pulling the trigger on the swift/b8 combo. Once I install it will I need other suspension components?
Old 06-03-2015, 02:00 PM
savedbygrace

Kilogram! LOL Best unexpected closing comment for the win! Thanks for the laugh, still laughing...

Thanks for the tip, I'm probably going to have a go at it after some YouTube University. But...it's getting hot where I am...so depending on weather and my strong one day weak the next day body...we'll see if I'm going to dedicate six hours of huff and puff as my bones swear at me with pain.

I'm wondering if the B6 shocks would be just as good though? Spec-R's drop is within the B6 tolerance levels....and if I ever went to a stock height the B6 would work better there too I think?

Saved
Old 06-03-2015, 02:08 PM
savedbygrace

Hotlap...no...you won't....not initially..and maybe never...but...if you do you can always add them later..even a year later...the only downside is that your tire wear will be a little quicker than normal but not atrocious....you'll only get really bad tire wear if the alignment on your car gets the toe setting completely wrong...but that's true even on a stock suspension as well...just make sure the toe setting is within spec when you get the car aligned after the suspension install.

And if money is an issue, when isn't money an issue?, know that you can also focus on doing the rear camber kit first, it's more important as all the torque from the engine is directed to the rear tires of course, so they'll wear faster than the fronts...so....worst case...just get the rear camber kit after you know you need it, and focus on getting the front kit when it's time for another round of tires.

Obviously to play it safe...get the rear kit first, before the install, since you'd have to get another rear alignment after the camber kit install anyway....so maybe just do it all at once, but...you risk the chance of never having needed the rear kit. For me...that's why I just went without it, have gone a year and a half or so without it, and my tire wear has been just barely faster than normal even though my camber is slightly outside of factory spec.

I might add the rear camber kit later...undecided...but I think you'd be ok.

Hope this helps,

Saved
Old 06-14-2015, 08:53 AM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I jumped on that deal. Tax put me to 850 though. Picked up some swift r's too. Pretty happy I actually pulled the trigger. I have high hopes for this setup. From what I can tell this should be the best suspension you can run under like 3 grand
Old 06-15-2015, 11:09 AM
Hotlaprc

Where's the best deal on the bilstien b12 prokit? Is it confirmed 100% that the b12 prokit comes with b8 shocks? I checked ajusa but the price was not $792 .....
Old 06-17-2015, 10:39 AM
kilogram

Originally Posted by Hotlaprc
Where's the best deal on the bilstien b12 prokit? Is it confirmed 100% that the b12 prokit comes with b8 shocks? I checked ajusa but the price was not $792 .....
The B12 pro kit I got last month came with B8 shocks. Confirmed part number, posted pics of it in the other thread.

AJUSA still lists them for $791.66. I'm looking at their page right now. Maybe you didn't click on the link and saw the non-sale price of $947.xx?

http://www.ajusa.com/2004-Nissan-350...it-acb316.html

I bought mine from JSCspeed, who promptly raised the price after I submitted my order. I suspect that isn't uncommon once they realize how much everyone else sells the kit for..

Last edited by kilogram; 06-17-2015 at 10:40 AM.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:57 PM
Hotlaprc

I am pulling the trigger today on b12 kit from vendor on here $859 shipped to San diego .... So do you think it is really worth going to the swift rspec over the eibach could that come with the b12 pro kit? From what I have seen the specs are very similar?
Old 06-19-2015, 04:15 PM
savedbygrace

The swifts will drop your car a little more than the eibachs, and personally I believe the swifts ride better in terms of street comfort due to the material that swifts are made from being more responsive.

Swifts are esteemed for a reason.

Saved
Old 06-21-2015, 06:54 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

The swifts have a higher final rate and the "progressive" initial rate is somehow mainly used for preload. The rates are like 40lb inch more in the rear and higher in the front.

There's a thread on here where someone was smack talking them but using incorrect info.

That being said, it would be worth trying the eibach's first. Changing springs is not very hard, and you can rent a spring compressor cheaply.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best shocks for SWIFT Spec R for ride quality?