Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Suspension bushings, was the BIG JOB worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 10:43 AM
Zquicksilver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Suspension bushings, was the BIG JOB worth it?

I'm really curious whether it's smart to replace the majority of my suspension bushings or not. Sifting through many of the aftermarket bushing threads I've discovered many things, the hard work, frustration and sometimes potentially huge problems (snapped frame bolts) to get them in, the failure of different brands after months or just a few years of work (compression rod bushing in particular), is it really worth it, upgrading??? I've even seen some individuals switching back to OEM for reliability...

Many of my OEM suspension bushings look fine, but most likely they're dry after 10yrs and 123K miles. My driving style is mostly spirited, so the bushings have been worked, but maybe I just need to re-condition them with a lubricant, letting them soak in place without a car wash for a few weeks. Is that even possible or make sense?

I'm not knocking products or the people who decided to do it, there are obvious benefits. But the cost of the parts (bushings, bolts, nuts, etc.), the install tool costs, the time for install, is the consensus that it is a must do if the OEM bushings seem fine? I need suggestions, whether to start this BIG project or not for a mostly street driven 350Z. I'm considering Whiteline's Essentials Kit as a start. Thanks!

Last edited by Zquicksilver; 06-01-2015 at 11:00 AM.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:56 AM
jdm-v35

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I did energy suspension bushings. I did them all except the subframe as I did not want to drop it, and I have the diff bushings but did not do them yet. They did make a huge difference in how tight the car feels and after 2 years seems to be holding up great. It took 1 day of work with no press, I used drill and saw method. well worth it. front radius rod bushings are still holding up, though they do stretch a bit. My oem ones were totally gone when I did the change. only difference I would do is SPL solid front radius rod bushings.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:55 PM
savedbygrace

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I've done lower control arm WhiteLine bushings and they were well worth it, plus they never have to be done again.

Steering precision definitely improved, but...ride quality did harshen up just a wee over bumps. Everything is a tradeoff unforuntately...well most things I should say.

If you're running soft walled tires though the difference in ride quality will be pretty slight.

I wouldn't worry about the rear bushings so much personally.

Saved
Old 06-01-2015, 09:18 PM
Zquicksilver

Thanks for the feedback. I was under the Z tonight prepping for a SPL solid rear diff install. I was checking out all the rear diff bushings that could possibly be replaced, not including the rear subframe bushings, I counted 10 per side. The subframe definitely looks as if it needs to be dropped to get to ALL of them with an impact wrench. Dropping the subframe seems to be a major PITA, sigh...

I also need to replace my struts, they're finished... another reason why I'm considering doing some of the bushings while I have everything apart, out of the way and the car is lifted.

This appears to be a useful toolbox... the guy mentions Auto Part stores renting them, kind of cool!

[url="https://youtu.be/37NgLM4tIzw"[/url]

Last edited by Zquicksilver; 06-11-2015 at 09:55 AM.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:35 AM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

If you're not prepared to drop the subframe and do the entire rear now, just do the diff, and focus on the major front culprits - compression, inner lower control arm. Do the shock bushing while you have arm off, and call it good. Rear spindle bushings are pretty decent, so unless you're going solid/deteriorated/on-track they probably arent worth the effort.

Front upper wait until you get adjustable arms. If you don't care about additional neg camber up front just stick with the OEM upper arms and bushings.

As to compression arm bushing, with the considerations you list, I suggest you stick with the revised OEM version unless you plan on going SPL. The service life of Whiteline is sub-obtimal IMO, especially under hard use and lowered. The burden on the PS rack for Whiteline/Enegy versions is also a debated subject.

If you are lowered much more than the average drop kit then SPL is the recommended compression arm bushing option.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:41 AM
Zquicksilver

Thanks guitman32, good info-advice! I'm definitely not just jumping into this front rear suspension project without doing my due diligence and following some sort of logical procedure - service manual on DVD - . At the very end I'll probably end up needing an alignment F/R and then go back again after some sort of break-in. Signing up with a shop for some sort of lifetime alignment, lol!

I plan to keep my 350Z, so that's why I'm making this big investment, treat her good, she does the same!
Old 06-14-2015, 09:11 PM
Zquicksilver

I'm holding off on this bushing project, I'm going to do them all at once, not half *** it. At this point I checked them all, they're OK, only the rear lower strut mount bushings are shot to hell, replacing with OEM to keep things happy back there. Next time I take everything apart I'll being going from a 3.9FD to a 3.3FD to handle the SuperCharger. I've learned a lot over the past month from all the great suspension threads here, what to do, what not to do, how to do it. To be continued.........
Old 06-18-2015, 02:48 AM
hazermang

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just got my car back from West End Alignment and had an amazing alignment and corner balancing job done. HOLY COW the car drives incredible now (getting the most out of the KW's).

My tech did point out my compression and inner LCA bushings.. I have all SPL bushings in cart so close to checking out